GeNa Pro City Generator

RickysSoftware

I want. I want. I want.

Please, Please, Please.

What are your plans with this? I've been monitoring your work in a different place... please tell us you plan to bring it to GeNa.

This is an add on type of asset and it would theoretically work with any spline system. Although for my first release I plan on having it be only compatible with GeNa Pro. I plan on having a test release next month. It would've been sooner but I haven't had a chance to work on it for over a week due to family emergencies and the holidays. As of now I'm using a stand in asset for buildings. I would like to release this for free. I will accept donations if anyone wants to donate to the project. But I want you guys to have it as a gift. I do realize that I deserve to be paid for my work but I remember when I couldn't afford any assets. I just think if my tool could really help someone that it shouldn't be locked behind a pay wall.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RickysSoftware said:

This is an add on type of asset and it would theoretically work with any spline system. Although for my first release I plan on having it be only compatible with GeNa Pro. I plan on having a test release next month. It would've been sooner but I haven't had a chance to work on it for over a week due to family emergencies and the holidays. As of now I'm using a stand in asset for buildings. I would like to release this for free. I will accept donations if anyone wants to donate to the project. But I want you guys to have it as a gift. I do realize that I deserve to be paid for my work but I remember when I couldn't afford any assets. I just think if my tool could really help someone that it shouldn't be locked behind a pay wall.

Nice, I been doing something like that as well. (no plans to sell it) but I been making one that works with Gena pro.  

Making one, to work with my modular buildings..  I have a tool I use in Maya  I also use with it, to be able to build procedural buildings, but also leverage splines, 2d shapes.     Gena pro is perfect for a good starting point, for any city gen, or even dungeon Gen.   

Gena pro is the perfect tool for stuff like this. for sure.  Most Gens are made from splines/roads, etc. 

The only issue I see on the asset store is alot of City Gens, you have to use procedural buildings.. fascades.. Which is not great for detailed buildings.   Some do allow modular work flow, but they seem to always be lacking.  So, I would consider when you make yours, to look at others out there, and do things, differently.    This is why made me start to make my own in Unity and now UE, because so many are lacking, and many don't handle interiors either... 

PS: Nice start so far, hard to tell from the images, but from the graph, so far, looks great.

Edited by Recon

Thanks Recon. I have had a lot of fun working on it. I started with an idea over 2 years ago. I thought of making Gaia spawn randomly generated cities. But it was really mostly just an idea until GeNa Pro came out. I learned the API before probably anyone else did. I was generating random roads within the first week of release. I worked on and off on my idea. I'm kinda still not sure how well it will perform yet. I can generate a very dense city that covers an 8k terrain in less than 3 minutes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I'd hoped to have more done by now. But I have been very sick for the last week or so. I have no idea what it is but I do have all the symptoms of the OMICRON variant of COVID 19. Finally I'm starting to feel good enough to work on this project some.

• Like 1

I don't have any buildings I can redistribute with the asset. But after I post the video showing how it works those who want to try it out are welcome to. I now have the city generator working with any building. You just need to put a box collider on the bottom covering the whole building with a y size of 0.1 to make it compatible. But if you don't understand I'll make a video showing it anyway soon.spacer.png

I don't know if I'm allowed to post the download link here. I made a little demo build where you click the buttons and it'll make a large or small city. PM me for the link.

Edited by RickysSoftware
  • Like 3

Grabbed the file and dropped a subscribe on you. Ill probably wait to check it out until the next version if its that exciting 😄

5 hours ago, Myke Price said:

Looking forward to it.

How does it work on terrain with contours. Not extreme, but with some height variations?

@RickysSoftware is working on that, the current version works on mostly flat ground, but he'll probably have it working on varied heights pretty soon.

The best I can do as of now is to find a good area on the terrain and flatten it to place the city. It absolutely must be flat where it spawns because of the way it works. If a carve could make the road absolutely on top of the terrain that would work but it just doesn't always seem to work even when the road extension is set to conform to ground. Part of the way it works is to spawn buildings based on the direction of the spline. It also checks for terrain and checks for the road mesh. If it can't find the road mesh it won't know if it can spawn a building in that place for sure. It will spawn buildings over roads if part of the road is hiding under the terrain as if often does when the road is placed on nonflat terrain.

I'm about to drop the first release. Either later tonight or tomorrow. Be on the lookout. The link to download it will be in the description of the tutorial video on how to use it.

• Like 5