GeNa Pro City Generator

RickysSoftware

Thank you @DrMeatball. You're the first that's bought it. I hope you like it. You guys have no idea how happy even just 1 sale makes me. I do have a disability and that's making life hard because I can't work a normal job. Even just a couple sales a month would help me tremendously. I want you to know that if you do choose to buy this asset I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I really want you to get some good use out of it. If you need any help don't hesitate to reach out to me.

• Thanks 1

@DrMeatballI have the latest yet to be released version working with most prefabs without requiring any extra setup at all. Still not sure how it works with modular assets though. I got this happening with the Neo Cities Kit Bash kit. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Woah that's awesome! Installed and playing around right now. TY! And yeah works great with HDRP! Double ty!

Edited by DrMeatball

Coming by version 1.1.0 of Urban Mixer. Cul de sacs for dead ends, Multi Lane roads, poles, signs, and props for the roads, over and under passes maybe, yard clutter for the houses, mailboxes, trash, and bridges. Also the driveways and actual sidewalks. Possibly parking lots for big buildings. Also I'm going to integrate with Simple traffic system. All this should be coming soon. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Would be interested in seeing how the bridges are going. Also if there are ways to tie in new splines to an intersection with a separate spline spawner.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:44 PM, RickysSoftware said:

I'm not great at 3D modeling. Not yet anyway. So I don't know if I can release this with any nice looking buildings or not. Really I'm more of a programmer than an artist. But anyway. If you have any of your own buildings that you made or from the asset store they are very easy to use with the City Generator. I know I said I planned on making this look like the UE5 City Demo but I'm not sure if I'm exactly able to do the modeling work required to do that as of right now. Also I plan on integrating the new Extrusion Pro asset into this city generator. I will also integrate other assets into it as well. I plan on integrating Suburban Neighborhood House pack(Modular) to it and also Reversed City Builder Urban into it. Also I plan on doing a stylized asset integration with Surroundead. I plan on integrating Flooded Grounds into it and some other free assets. Also I plan on integrating Simple Traffic system. They're not required but will work out of the box if you have those assets. More things I'm adding are signs, poles, fences, and props. You can place the props anywhere. and they will generate how you'd like. Want cones on each side of the road? You can do that. Making a survival horror game? Want trash or other game objects scattered around the city area? You can do that too. You can have them randomly scattered or you can pick exactly where you want the props to go. Add a PropType component and there is a 3 line gizmo showing exactly where the edges and middle of the road will be in relation to your gameobject as you're setting it up. You just set your distance from road option and you can visualize exactly where it goes. This setup is on a per gameobject basis. Every gamebject can be setup differently.

Nice work Ricky, looking good..

I wouldn't worry about it looking like UE 5 Matrix,  UE uses new tech with that, I use it in my new game as well, with my new tech, and its amazing.....  So I wouldn't try to do what they did in UE... Unity won't be touching the Matrix and UE TECH... Lumen, WP, nanites and such.

But you can still continue making something great for Unity for also leveraging what PW already has with Gena pro, GAIA etc..

I would worry about polishing the tool itself and let users worry about the 3d work.....   They can buy packs from the store or make them selves...    I would also make the tool, more editor friendly, so that the users can edit the City Gen in the editor if they want rather than just procedural.   Be sure to leverage floating point issues as well, and streaming issues with larger maps.  This is a typical issue, that needs be addressed, unless you already have handled it:.)

PS: if you want to  build buildings, procedurally, use Houdini, this is what the Matrix uses as well, I been using for a few years or so now, you can leverage with or with out Gena pro. for Sidewalks, Roads.  You can build all of your buildings this way as well, great for interiors.. Interiors get expensive, so, being able to load in planes for interiors for floors and such, is something in the future you may want to look at.    Its the cheaper way of handling interiors and typically all interiors are, are planes mostly anyways...  Super powerful tool..... You can get the indie version on Steam ... 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is the only thing I've ever even semi put out in a finished state in the whole 4 years I've been playing around with Unity. And I feel like it's pretty decent for my first ever finished project. Of course an asset like this requires updates to be successful. So it's never truly finished. But I think it's decent for my first thing. I will admit I am a bit disheartened by the lack of sales. But I don't do it for the money. I do this kind of stuff because I love it. Then again I think a lot of people are feeling the sting of poor asset store sales right now. I don't know if people have the money for assets like they used to. I know for me it's getting harder just to keep food on the table all month. Times are hard. I just don't know if Unity is worth it anymore though. I mean yeah I have a ton of assets and that's keeping me from switching to Unreal kind of. But Then Again Unreal has a lot of things that are free to use in it like Megascans for example and I love it. I was a subscriber to Megascans and I used them in Unity. I still have a lot of points unused. I really like the Nanite and Lumen from Unreal too and I wish there was something like it for Unity. I know there are things in the works like Nanite for Unity but Unreal just has it and it's free. It's just there begging me to use it. 

On 9/24/2022 at 3:16 AM, RickysSoftware said:

This is the only thing I've ever even semi put out in a finished state in the whole 4 years I've been playing around with Unity. And I feel like it's pretty decent for my first ever finished project. Of course an asset like this requires updates to be successful. So it's never truly finished. But I think it's decent for my first thing. I will admit I am a bit disheartened by the lack of sales. But I don't do it for the money. I do this kind of stuff because I love it. Then again I think a lot of people are feeling the sting of poor asset store sales right now. I don't know if people have the money for assets like they used to. I know for me it's getting harder just to keep food on the table all month. Times are hard. I just don't know if Unity is worth it anymore though. I mean yeah I have a ton of assets and that's keeping me from switching to Unreal kind of. But Then Again Unreal has a lot of things that are free to use in it like Megascans for example and I love it. I was a subscriber to Megascans and I used them in Unity. I still have a lot of points unused. I really like the Nanite and Lumen from Unreal too and I wish there was something like it for Unity. I know there are things in the works like Nanite for Unity but Unreal just has it and it's free. It's just there begging me to use it. 

At the end of the day you have to do what makes you happy...  as a developer you should never stick with one piece of software all the time, it hinders you as a developer...   more so if your a game developer...  when I hire someone and they tell me, they only ever used one engine, and I ask why, most will say, they where told to stay with one, which is bad advice, I tend to NOT hire them. I want someone willing to not be afraid to innovate and learn new things...

if you do this to make money or work with others this is super important.. if someone does this for a hobby, its not as important, if you just want to mess about, Unity is great for messing about.  There are Unreal users that are like that and I tell them the same thing, I tell them to use Unity, and other engines.. so its no different. 

I found this after working for so many years.. .even if this is for fun, hobby its good to use other software, engines what ever.. you expands your skills.. 

You also can create tools in Unity to use in Unreal.... I have always used Unreal, for clients, Unity and other engines over the years, in house included, I never cared what engine I used.  about 50% + of my career I used in house engines for larger clients..

for fun, I always used Unreal, Unity, Unigine, and I mess about in FLax and Amazon new engine. it expands my skills.... as a developer.   This is something I always preach...  I hear from some people how they hate or think C++ is hard... its really not hard... if your already a programmer, learning a new language does not take much time, for the people who have had a hard time in Unity mostly open world games, some have moved to UE or Unigine and are releasing or have released there games....  

You can still use GAIA, Gena..... you can export height maps out after they are made, you can export game objects, prefabs out of Unity after you place them.... You can export splat maps and much more...

So those things will WORK in other engines..   its more common than people know that these tools are used in other engines that way..  Now there are some features sure you cant use, if they are runtime related, you would need to use in Unity, then export out..  work flow wise, its a little more work, but if you already like those tools, its really easy... just export and be done with it. Import to other engine.... and use as normal. 

So Unity is a great engine, but its not always great for everyone and the kind of game they may be making.. So owning assets should NEVER stop you from advancing your self...

If I have done this, I would still be making 2d games, and on commodore 64 still, if had thought this way... Tech will always change.... You can use some of your favorite tools in other engines.. 

So for example, I use the shit out of Gena, for spawning.... I export out of Gena, into UE, or Houdini, sometimes into my 3d SOFTWARE, and edit, what I want, and back into UE..  

One thing that is awesome, .NET c# IS FANTASTIC for backend, software, which is why its widely used in Web dev, and for full stack developers, Unity you can create all sorts of things, I recently created my bug tracker, and made a rest API, which I'm using for a game I made in Unreal....  Unity I was able to easily create this Rest API, I could of done in UE as well, but I find for a backend, and nice Rest API, ,NET is alot better, sure I could of made it with out Unity, but I wanted it for the visualization aspects and its backend scripting.. 

So, remember, never let one piece of software stop you...from learning, and expanding your skills.... it will hinder you in the long run... I have mentored people for years, many fought me on this, and later on, most have thank me later, for pushing them to expand there skills. . This should never be about UE VS Unity, or Modo vs 3ds Max... 

It should be about you progressing as a developer..... 

Good luck Ricky on what ever you do...

I would not let this stop you, if your sales are low....    when I did client work, I would never mass sell things, I would sell to the client at hand, and they would pay, I had less support to do, and there support was 30 days... I made more money that way. SO if you work closely with clients, they will pay more for your hard work, I think to many people think just about an ASSET store...

There are companies, investors, people who will PAY for quality work...... and pay x10 more.. I personally never sold things for 20-100 $ most of my work was 500$ - in the thousands...    Some substance work was under 500 or so... but coding, I have not sold anything that cheap in years...

Bigger tools takes time, and if you work with a company or investors and you give them a good product they will pay much more.. Unreal asset developers can charge x2-4 times more than Unity developers..    You will see some of the same Unity assets over at UE for more money too...  This is why, because its typically alot more optimized over there...   

One example is Dungeon architect.......   

So check that out, you could sell your work, for Unity and Unreal.....

PS: Sorry but Nanite for Unity will NEVER be as good, Epic spend thousands and years making this tech, a solo asset developer in Unity WILL never make it no where as good or optimized, he also can disappear and then its gone, so I will never trust stuff like that. if someone wants Nanites, use UE. its that simple. 

That like me trusting someone to remake Gena  outside of PW ..... and me wanting to use it .. Sorry but I would never trust anyone to make a tool like Gena and give the support they do.  Its one of my favorite tools that I know inside and out, like I do Unreal and Nanites. 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 12:16 AM, RickysSoftware said:

I have your asset, and it's nifty. But I think in terms of sales, it's far more than just putting an asset on the UAS and profiting. I bought it mainly cause I saw you posting about it here. However, I think in terms of your actual store page, there's a lot to be desired and I think that's the reason for your low sales.

The first thing is that your actual store page is so bare. There's really no information about it, you only have a single non formatted paragraph. Compare your Overview page to other city generators like Cidy 2, or Mad City. They have almost 5 times the amount of information. As well you have 1 video and 2 images to preview.

The store page matters just as much, if not more than the actual asset, as most people want to know what they're getting before they buy. And with how much people have felt scammed by other assets, the more information you give them, the more at ease they'll be about using it.

Same thing with terms to the documentation. It's a fairly unformatted word doc with a plethora of formatting mistakes. Stuff like that keeps people from immediately writing a rave review, or recommending to others which also hurts sales.

I think ultimately it just comes down to the actual Selling part of Sales. If you really put in a full scale effort on your UAS page, you'll start seeing an increase in sales.

On 9/24/2022 at 3:16 AM, RickysSoftware said:

Ricky I had forgot to add, but the name of the asset is confusing... I actually didn't even know what it was when I first seen it, and didn't even know it was yours...  Urban Mixer, sounds like a sound tool or some audio type thing... 

I would rename it , more so related to the tool, like have  City Builder, Generator, or something related, so people know what it is....   I passed it by, when I seen that name and didn't even look at it...   I don't buy many assets as I once did, but I still check the store from time to time.. and notice it the other day, and just ignored it. 

Also remember not everyone uses Gena pro...  I would of set it up with Gena pro, like you did, but I also would of allowed it to work with out Gena pro as well... That would be double good..for users, and expand your customer base.. 

When your tools depends on another tool, it limits your customer base to Gena pro users only and Gena pro users who may need a City Gen, which will limit your customers for any tool when you do that..   

When you add both, it actually expands your customer base more than other city builders... 

• 6 months later...

Update coming soon. This will retain the GeNa Pro requirement but add in several enhancements and better documentation.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I ended up taking out the GeNa Pro requirement. It will work with or without it.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for your updated Urban Architect asset.
Should I delete the older version folder from the project?
Actually, I found the new stuff in the original folder also. Never mind. Figured it out.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I deeply regret the delay in updating the City Generator. Due to unforeseen health challenges, I was unable to give it the attention and enhancements I had envisioned. As time passed, the asset store also evolved its requirements, which further complicated matters. To address this, I've made the difficult decision to streamline the content, removing all the demo buildings to meet the new standards.

I genuinely hope you understand this decision. To reflect the changes, I've adjusted the price to $15. Given that GeNa Pro carries a higher price tag and considering the modifications to this asset, I believe this is a fair adjustment. For those who previously purchased at a higher price, I deeply value your support and understanding. Your trust means the world to me, and I'm grateful for every bit of it.