How to stop Gaia Pro 2021 grass from floating a little above the ground when generated?

Kaori
Go to solution Solved by Kaori,

As the title says, how can I stop the grass and some other objects from floating a few inches above the ground after I hit `Stamp` in `Stamper` in Gaia Pro 2021?

Here's the issue

spacer.png

As an example I will use one of the preset biomes: 
You would need to the .asset file of the biomes: 
Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Gaia Pro/Assets/Biomes/Alpine Meadow.asset 
Click on that and in the inspector you have the activations: 
image.png

Make sure that the grass spawner doesnt have the add prototypes activated (P). 
Textures I believe are usually the only ones enabled unless they have been altered. 

@Bryan : So I unchecked the "P" like you said for grass and when done generating, I still have grass floating in the air? o.o;

It could be something with just this resource. 
I cant tell but it looks like only this (grass) is doing it correct? 

@Kaori This is a common issue with the terrain detail system in unity: per default the grass system does not rotate the textures / billboards to terrain slope, which results in gaps when the terrain is not 100% flat. An additional issue is that the grass textures that we use leave a small gap to the bottom of the texture:

image.png

This gap is intentionally, because multiple terrain textures are copied together by unity in an atlas texture, when the grass goes all the way to the bottom in the texture, you will start seeing those visual artifacts:

image.png

This is the bottom pixels of the other grass texture "bleeding" in the next, this is why we (and other grass textures that you can buy on the asset store) avoid to draw the texture all the way down. This issue is pretty annoying as those pixel artifacts also flicker in movement.

You can optimize this a bit to find the "sweet spot" where you make the gap as small as possible by editing the textures, but if you are using Flora that should not be required, if you start the scene note that the grass rendering changes and e.g. grass is rotated to slope now:

image.png

With Flora this issue should not be present during runtime anymore. Can you please check to see if your grass is rotated to slope during runtime & how prevalent the issue is there?

If the grass is not rotated to slope, it means Flora is not running on the terrain. Can you please check if you have this component on the terrain:

image.png

This component is responsible of swapping out the unity terrain details with the Flora ones during runtime. Whether Gaia activates Flora or not is controlled here in the spawner settings:

image.png

If that checkbox is on for at least one of the terrain detail items spawned by Gaia, you should get the component on the terrain that swaps out the rendered items with the flora version during runtime. You can find more information about Flora here:
https://canopy.procedural-worlds.com/library/tools/gaia-pro-2021/written-articles/advanced/flora-detail-system-r12/