[Workflow] Gaia Pro Lighting System - Updated Lightmap Procedure

designleviathan
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

Hello - I have a question on Gaia's lightmap system

Question: Lightmap Baking with Gaia 2021+

How do I ensure that my lighting is properly baked for the different times of the day (while using the PW sky / lighting profiles) without spending hours waiting for failed bakes to finish?

In Gaia Pro itself (3.2.2c5) and in the youtube tutorials and documentation there's references to a lightmap baking 'helper' for lack of a better term.

In the youtube tutorials we are shown it being used to bake lighting for different times of the day. This option/tool as i understand it is now depreciated and I've seen comments directing people to just use the unity lighting bake system.

Issue: Outdated tutorials / Unclear documentation

Unfortunately for those of us trying to get up and running with the latest PW tools that leaves us in a bit of a knowledge vacuum on how to bridge things if we are going to use the procedural worlds / gaia lighting system and are aiming to have a full night / day cycle.

A small request aside from the proper procedure for baking a day-night cycle.

Could the references to said "helper" be removed from Gaia's lighting panel and the documentation updated?

(just to save others 'running in circles' looking for something that's been depreciated - I found out via Discord which I think is anti-thesis to Canopy's existence)

Thank you once again for your time!

Unity 2021.2 / URP / Gaia Pro (3.2.2c5)

Am I off base here with expectations?

Is Gaia's Day / Night cycle realtime only or does it support baking a full day / night cycle?

• Solution
8 hours ago, designleviathan said:

So then we have to bring our own support for baking the day / night cycle then?

If you are not using the time of day system then you would be able to bake the lighting. 
If you are using the tod system then you would not be able to bake due to it being realtime. 

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

If you are not using the time of day system then you would be able to bake the lighting. 
If you are using the tod system then you would not be able to bake due to it being realtime. 

I understand now. Somewhere along the line I had gotten the mistaken impression that the TOD system did bake the profiles - I understand now it's realtime based which makes sense all things considered.

Thanks for your time in helping me through this hurdle.