GeNa Spline Carve/Clear/Texture Extensions Doing Nothing

damenspike
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

I just started working with GeNa Pro today and I'm trying to add a road to my terrain. However, when I want to carve the terrain or clear details/trees/add road texture to it, the action buttons do absolutely nothing and there's nothing showing in the unity editor log. 

( I am a beginner so I don't know if I've missed something. Do I need to link the terrain to the spline?? Have I done the terrain wrong? )

Gena version: 3.3.17-c5

Gaia Pro version: 3.0.1-c5

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edit: Updated to Gaia 3.2.2. Still can't seem to carve the terrain or use any extension related to it. It just does absolutely nothing. 

1 hour ago, damenspike said:

Edit: Updated to Gaia 3.2.2. Still can't seem to carve the terrain or use any extension related to it. It just does absolutely nothing. 

Hi there @damenspike

This is indeed very unusual behaviour of GeNa to not perform any actions on a Terrain. Could you try making a new scene with a Gaia terrain, spawning a biome, and then use GeNa splines again? 

Curious to see if this makes a difference.

7 hours ago, Manny said:

Hi there @damenspike

This is indeed very unusual behaviour of GeNa to not perform any actions on a Terrain. Could you try making a new scene with a Gaia terrain, spawning a biome, and then use GeNa splines again? 

Curious to see if this makes a difference.

Hello Manny, thanks for replying. I have attempted this process three times and each time is unsuccessful. It's very strange.

lREjtaU.png

I really need this to work for my project! :( 

• Solution

@damenspike Could you also please tell us which unity editor version you are using? If it is one of the very first 2021.2 versions, I remember there was a bug in how unity handled certain things that would affect our previews being drawn correctly, if you are running something like 2021.2.1 or 2021.2.2 it might be fixed immediately when switching to a higher unity version.
If this is not the case, it looks to me like there might be a fundamental issue with compute shaders / shader support in general - the heavy lifting of displaying and performing the changes on the terrain is done on the GPU, it looks to me like these changes are not being processed / displayed at all. If you for example select the carve operation, you should see a preview like this:

image.png

This seems to be missing in your screenshots when you have carve selected, same with the other operations. Could you please check if you activate the visualization in the spawn rules of a Gaia spawner, do they display something on the terrain or not? (The eye icon in the spawn rules):

image.png

Also in Gaia, could you please check in the "Advanced" tab under "System and Project Information" if your system supports compute shaders?

image.png

• Like 1