GeNa river causes camera stretching issues at runtime

mroshaw
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hi again!

I'm getting some really weird behaviour with GeNa Pro. Basically, everything looks great in the editor. When I enter run mode, the image rendered in the camera is all messed up:

image.png.7c9a33a117e5c56481c8a3bd5ae14d6b.png

See how it's all stretched?

If I disable the river spline Game Object, it's back to normal:

image.png.ed128bfa7e8a7f7d0b738d9ac95fbb22.png

Any idea what's causing this?

I'm using:

• GeNa Pro 3.3.17
  • Gaia Pro 2021 3.2.2
  • Unity 2021.2.17
  • HDRP 12.1.6

@mroshaw I have never seen this kind of issue before. We got one report of strange stretching behavior with the skybox in the latest HDRP version, so it might be that is connected to the latest HDRP version, I will set up a test project with the latest to check from my side.
Just out of interest / to check all angles, does this also appear or change its behavior when you switch the fixed resolution and scale (in top left corner of your first screenshot) to "Free Aspect Ratio" and "1"?
Does the minimap system use an additional camera in the scene? If yes, it would also be interesting to know if the issue appears when that additional camera is off. (It is a bit of a stretch (how fitting ha-ha) but I could imagine that an additional camera being rendered at a different resolution might interfere somewhere in-between, e.g. when the water reflections are being rendered and leads somehow to a changed output resolution. 

Update: I built a test scene in 2021.2.17 HDRP 12.1.6 and I'm not getting this stretching issue with a river in runtime, there must be more to it than the latest HDRP version.

Thanks Peter!

There are no additional cameras - I learned the hard way that HDRP does not like additional cameras! The minimap is just a radar at the moment, while I figure that out.

And yes, depending on the resolution it gets worse (complete corruption of the screen at 800 x 600) to better (looks completely normal at 2560 x 1440).

I've tried baking the river but on building the game, I get the same corruption. If I remove the river altogether, everything works as expected.

Weird!

I think it's a Unity bug, mate. If change my monitor resolution prior to launching the game, I can get perfect video at that resolution. If I change resolution within the game, corruption occurs. So while the game is running at the same resolution as the monitor in Windows, it's good. Anything else, it's knackered.

Doesn't sound like it could possibly be related to GeNa!

This is the problem with straying from the LTS path - I'm forever chasing my tail, upgrading 2021.x in the hope of getting stability and fixes to the issues uncovered in 2021.x-1!

• Solution
19 hours ago, mroshaw said:

I think it's a Unity bug, mate. If change my monitor resolution prior to launching the game, I can get perfect video at that resolution. If I change resolution within the game, corruption occurs. So while the game is running at the same resolution as the monitor in Windows, it's good. Anything else, it's knackered.

Ok, yeah that sounds more like an issue in the inner workings of Unity if it can be fixed / influenced by adjusting the monitor resolution prior launch. It is still a bit weird though that this goes away if the GeNa river is not there.