Session and Gaia API Questions

Shawn - Backwoods Gaming

In creating updates for my Backwoods Gaming stamp packs, one issue that I've come across is replicating the Session playback functionality I did with Gaia 1.5 - pre2.x.  I've dug through and found the ...  crap.  Brain block.  Uhm..  Methods?  Is that what they are called?  lol  Ugh!  At any rate, it looks like the only way to playback sessions is to access code within the session script files.  I can't seem to find any type of playback options within the Gaia API, or am I missing it somehow?  If it truly isn't in the API, is there a possibility that a session playback option can/will be added to the API?

Regarding sessions themselves, I like how the session now saves everything to do with the session together.  As far as sharing sessions, is it still as simple as simply providing that single main session file?  Will that file alone allow someone to play that session within their project (after loading with session manager in scene, of course) to duplicate my terrain which was created by my original session?  Or are there other files within the created session folder which would also have to be included?  The beauty of sessions in 1.x is that I only needed to provide that one file as long as I was using default Gaia Resources configurations.  I'm hoping the same is true when I'm only spawning default biomes which are included with Gaia.

Hi Shawn, there should be a static function in the Gaia API called PlaySession. As long as you have a reference to the session file you want to play back, you should be able to do this anywhere in your code with 
GaiaAPI.PlaySession(<yoursessionReference>);

All the settings for recreating the session / scene should be part of the session file, so the call above should be enough.

• Like 1

I'll take a look at this tomorrow.  I have another thing I need to open my GX and GX framework scripts to track down why my transfer to stamps routine doesn't transfer stamp 1 from my pack into my Gaia User Data folder with the rest of the stamps from the pack.  Once I get that set, I'll look at my old scripts for my 1.x session handling and find the PlaySession method in GaiaAPI.  I swear I looked for that a dozen or more times after I recoded the stamp installation methods.  lol  Brain's just not right anymore. lol

Thanks again for your help man!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shawn - Backwoods Gaming said:

Once I get that set, I'll look at my old scripts for my 1.x session handling and find the PlaySession method in GaiaAPI.  I swear I looked for that a dozen or more times after I recoded the stamp installation methods.

What could potentially have been the issue here is that maybe the PlaySession method from your older Gaia GX implementation was still pointing at "GaiaUtils" which was originally considered the "API" for Gaia, maybe you were looking in there and not in the GaiaAPI class / file.

33 minutes ago, Peter said:

What could potentially have been the issue here is that maybe the PlaySession method from your older Gaia GX implementation was still pointing at "GaiaUtils" which was originally considered the "API" for Gaia, maybe you were looking in there and not in the GaiaAPI class / file.

Nah..  I commented out the entire method and disabled it in my GX script.  Never attempted to run the old code because I knew you guys completely rewrote.  Just kept them in comments for reference to follow flow how I called and operated from GX.  I was actually scrolling through the GaiaAPI scripts looking to see if there were methods there to avoid calling from within the core Gaia session scripts.  Must have just kept overlooking it.  But never coded anything new to attempt to run as far as sessions as my focus was to get the basic stamp install/unistall portion working again.  Was going to delay delivering the session stuff for next update after the packs with updated stamps were live before attempting to tackle digging into sessions too deep. heheh