Gameobject Spawners Workflow Advice and Best Practice Question

Abdalla
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

I want to use the Game Object spawner to create villages from certain art package asset.
I thought I would reference Towns (3D Forge) to do something similar to my project using the other asset.
I was surprised how Towns (3D Forge) Gameobject spawners were created.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that each spawner's rule has multiple prefab resources with exact position and rotation offsets to be aligned together to form a complete set. For example fences goes beside each other, etc..
It seems very tedious to get those offsets right to get the complete set exactly as wanted.
Why wasn't a prefab called Small Farm 1 be created with the desired layout and used as a single resource prefab for the rule?
I am trying to figure out the optimal work flow for my project.

9 hours ago, Abdalla said:

It seems very tedious to get those offsets right to get the complete set exactly as wanted

Yes, this would be tedious indeed, but what you can do is you can drag multiple objects selected on the drag and drop surface in the resource settings in the spawner, and the objects will automatically be set up with their relative offsets remaining intact, this is also how the example village / houses spawners in Gaia were created.

You could also drag and drop the complete prefab on it, but this would have the disadvantage then that the spawn would be treated as a single object, whereas with each sub object being set up in the spawner each object is aligned with the underlying terrain height correctly, and you can also do advanced things like only aligning some of the objects with the terrain slope, while others are not aligned, assign different random scaling / rotation for some of the sub objects only, etc.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Peter said:

Yes, this would be tedious indeed, but what you can do is you can drag multiple objects selected on the drag and drop surface in the resource settings in the spawner, and the objects will automatically be set up with their relative offsets remaining intact, this is also how the example village / houses spawners in Gaia were created.

You could also drag and drop the complete prefab on it, but this would have the disadvantage then that the spawn would be treated as a single object, whereas with each sub object being set up in the spawner each object is aligned with the underlying terrain height correctly, and you can also do advanced things like only aligning some of the objects with the terrain slope, while others are not aligned, assign different random scaling / rotation for some of the sub objects only, etc.

Thank you That sounds good.

I am wondering if there's a way to combine Gaia gameobject spawners with gena spawn prototypes.

For example I can have a gena spawn prototype with a village prefab that has different decorators like One Child Of, transform decorators, etc... Then having that spawn prototype added to gaia gameobject spanwer and expecting the gena scripts to run if spawned by Gaia.

46 minutes ago, Abdalla said:

Thank you That sounds good.

I am wondering if there's a way to combine Gaia gameobject spawners with gena spawn prototypes.

For example I can have a gena spawn prototype with a village prefab that has different decorators like One Child Of, transform decorators, etc... Then having that spawn prototype added to gaia gameobject spanwer and expecting the gena scripts to run if spawned by Gaia.

I think I found it. Gena To Gaia Spawn Extenstion!

I will try it out.

• Solution
6 hours ago, Abdalla said:

I think I found it. Gena To Gaia Spawn Extenstion!

That is the one, and since you are deeply enough involved with GeNa that you know what decorators are, I think that will probably be the best option for you. You would get the same advantage as with the complex Gaia objects (that each object in the spawner can be adjusted for terrain height etc.) plus more since the decorators allow you to texture or flatten the terrain underneath, you can set up randomization with the child of decorators, etc.

• Like 1