March Requests

Adam

• Adam featured and pinned this topic

A tutorial on how we could use say the Polygon Nature spawner pack and customise it with different models/Prefabs.  I'm not sure if this is possible or viable, but if it is would be handy. I have a few assets which I'd like to essentially sub in for stuff in the polygon nature pack. 

• Like 3

Allowed to select more than one option on the Monthly poll? 😉

But seriously though. How about a biome pack? I see a lot of different biomes have already been created to showcase the various stamp packs (and pop up in the tutorials). It would be nice to have these bundled together to get up and running quickly with different looks of gaia

They also make great tech demos for prototyping screenshots. 😎

• Like 3

There were a lot of goodies to pick on the March poll. I will cast my vote on a separation of assets/modules into different packages. It looks like there's already work being done on it for the 2022 version so that's good.

Currently, the sample assets take most of the size of Gaia/Gena Pro and some of them are scattered in different folders within the package making them harder to remove. It also has a hard dependency on the Sample Assets for the player controller, meaning we can't remove them. For production workloads, we wouldn't be using sample assets anyway so it's good to be able to pick only the core Gaia/Gena scripts.

What I had in mind is that we can pick out which features we'd like to import, for example only the core Gaia logic, the water system, or the dynamic weather system but without the player controller, location manager, etc.

Runner up for other things I would like to pick on the poll:

1. Removal of controllers from Gaia Pro (hehe, we have discussed this a LOT!) (I'm guessing this means the player controller that Gaia Pro has a hard dependency on the Sample Assets?)
  2. Package manager support (this is not as trivial as it might sound unfortunately due to IP access)

My picks are mostly on package cleanups and modularization. I feel like they are pretty important to do early in development as when more and more features get added, it would be harder to break them down into modules. I know a package hierarchy refactor requires a lot of work, hopefully we can get them fully in on the 2022 release (I honestly don't mind if we leave the 2021 version as is; more of a reason to upgrade 😁).

As for the package manager support, I'm guessing the IP access issue is due to third party assets being bundled in the package? I think it's better that we only have the core Gaia/Gena logic here contained in the package so this wouldn't be an issue. I can see the benefits of this, for instance the Gaia/Gena package wouldn't be in the Assets directory so it wouldn't clog up the workspace.

• Like 3

Please. Please. Anything but stylized packs. I once again point out how wild it is that the screenshots for Gaia are about how gorgeous it is, and yet it's low poly and stylized everywhere.

Dark City 2 pack would be awesome.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Integration with Christopher Fantauzzo's assets would be really cool. I think the mossy forest would be a great additional biome, along with the tundra.

Not sure if caves would work, but imagine having the deep sea exploration game template from the first poll, and an underwater cave that the character/submarine could explore. How cool would that be?

On 3/8/2022 at 8:16 PM, Tikal said:

Please. Please. Anything but stylized packs. I once again point out how wild it is that the screenshots for Gaia are about how gorgeous it is, and yet it's low poly and stylized everywhere.

Everyone has different tastes and likes different styles I guess.  I for one prefer stylized over any other style.  I believe I was one of the first if not the first to sign up for the Canopy subscription and one of the main reasons why I did was to request the suntail village integration with Gena and Gaia and possibly Azure Nature.  It was put to a poll and this was the top vote getter for January I believe and I was happy.  But again, this is just my preference and my favorite style.  Before requesting it, I don't think their were any stylized packs put out by Adam and his group other than the Synty stuff.

My plan is for myself to take apart the integrations for the Suntail Village and the Synty Fantasy pack and swap in my own stylized assets that I have created.  To be fair, I did not create them from scratch but ported them over from Unreal.  I think the Stylized Medieval Village is one of the best art assets on any market and wish that the author would bring his stuff to Unity.  For what you get they are extremely under priced.

Anyway, PW had already put out several realistic packs of their own so I think a couple of stylized ones were not out of the question.  I believe Adam has said several times that he really enjoys stylized assets and Synty ones for sure.  As a side note, I am really looking forward to the Castle Valley Pack (Realistic btw).  I removed all of the textures from this pack and made it match Astrofish's Polystyle.  You can see some images in the authors forum thread.    Here is a video that I made of the conversion.

Polystyle Castle Valley 1

Polystyle Castle Valley 2

Polystyle Castle Valley 3

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 6:36 PM, Keith.Brown said:

Everyone has different tastes and likes different styles I guess.  I for one prefer stylized over any other style.  I believe I was one of the first if not the first to sign up for the Canopy subscription and one of the main reasons why I did was to request the suntail village integration with Gena and Gaia and possibly Azure Nature.  It was put to a poll and this was the top vote getter for January I believe and I was happy.  But again, this is just my preference and my favorite style.  Before requesting it, I don't think their were any stylized packs put out by Adam and his group other than the Synty stuff.

My plan is for myself to take apart the integrations for the Suntail Village and the Synty Fantasy pack and swap in my own stylized assets that I have created.  To be fair, I did not create them from scratch but ported them over from Unreal.  I think the Stylized Medieval Village is one of the best art assets on any market and wish that the author would bring his stuff to Unity.  For what you get they are extremely under priced.

Anyway, PW had already put out several realistic packs of their own so I think a couple of stylized ones were not out of the question.  I believe Adam has said several times that he really enjoys stylized assets and Synty ones for sure.  As a side note, I am really looking forward to the Castle Valley Pack (Realistic btw).  I removed all of the textures from this pack and made it match Astrofish's Polystyle.  You can see some images in the authors forum thread.    Here is a video that I made of the conversion.

Polystyle Castle Valley 1

Polystyle Castle Valley 2

Polystyle Castle Valley 3

They've put out some flowers. No where near the size and scope of the Synty Pack or the Suntail pack. There are *no* realistic packs for Gaia.

Also, it's not a matter of taste, this isn't pizza. I use Gaia as a tool to make my game, for my company. If the Canopy extras are nothing but low-poly and stylized then it's only going to lead to me cancelling my subscription and putting my money elsewhere. It's that simple.

I have no interest in low-poly, not personally and not for my project. I don't want to take apart Suntail or Synty, I don't own them, and I don't want them. That's silly when there are dozens of great realistic asset creators on the asset store.

-3DForge (Apparently Blacksmith is going to do this themselves)
-NatureManufactuer
-Manufactura K4
-Daelonik Artworks
-PolyCrane
-Velkin Labs
-IL.ranch
-Astrofish Games
-Finward Studios
-Tirgames assets

That's just off the top page of my personal assets. Adam talked about churn, and I'm just being honest. I need something I can use or it'll simple be better for me to wait and resub when theirs something I can use for me game.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

About a week ago, I was asked if I could provide feedback, so here's my feedback about Canopy:

I've been looking around on Canopy, and I've been noticing almost everything, from levels to assets, is low poly/stylized. I've found that many others do not have any interest in using these. I understand that there are many games being developed in low poly style, however people who are building games using only realistic assets may feel left out. I believe this could be a reason why some of the 30% of users have unsubscribed.

When I clicked on a user's profile, I could see every user, including myself, who had clicked on the profile in the past. I do not like this at all, I don't like seeing my username appearing on someone else's profile.

I would really like to be able to vote for multiple things. There are always so many cool things on the list to choose from, yet, you can only select one thing.

• Like 2

*shrugs* depends what you consider light I guess.  

• a couple of game ready levels
  • the Suntail spawner pack
  • the rails shooter game template
  • the desert canyon content pack

and updates to both Gaia and Gena

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 12:50 AM, Tikal said:

They've put out some flowers. No where near the size and scope of the Synty Pack or the Suntail pack. There are *no* realistic packs for Gaia.

Also, it's not a matter of taste, this isn't pizza. I use Gaia as a tool to make my game, for my company. If the Canopy extras are nothing but low-poly and stylized then it's only going to lead to me cancelling my subscription and putting my money elsewhere. It's that simple.

I have no interest in low-poly, not personally and not for my project. I don't want to take apart Suntail or Synty, I don't own them, and I don't want them. That's silly when there are dozens of great realistic asset creators on the asset store.

-3DForge (Apparently Blacksmith is going to do this themselves)
-NatureManufactuer
-Manufactura K4
-Daelonik Artworks
-PolyCrane
-Velkin Labs
-IL.ranch
-Astrofish Games
-Finward Studios
-Tirgames assets

That's just off the top page of my personal assets. Adam talked about churn, and I'm just being honest. I need something I can use or it'll simple be better for me to wait and resub when theirs something I can use for me game.

I.. So, I knew this   would happen  just saying....   its been mostly stylized and i'm being honest,

.  Now I'm not selfish, but that is all we really seen so far,  and for those that are not making stylized games, I feel is unfair and with  voting, this could and would happen...   some people will vote, with friends, or what they are working on and others will never win.....  

So say 6 people are making stylized and 3 are making realism, and they all vote every month, the realism guys will never get anything.  Not really fair is it? 

I suggested before to have art styles, biome types etc, be rotated, with voting.....

I don't mean to rant, and honestly would be nice to be able to use some ,  as my kids are using this stuff to learn, but they are using realism, to learn. I don't use it   , but my son was like, forget that place, it never has what I want... its all , he calls it ugly stuff.  so I had to spend like 2 days modeling some stuff for them, so he can keep up with there learning, and make a bunch of spawner settings, I have some from my game, which I have him use too though...  

I tell him, its just a art style, I like stylized myself, but I like a variety..  he is young and upset. but it would of be nice to see other art styles for others too.  not just stylized.

I'm all bout fairness, not saying PW is not being fair, but I said this would happen... but the current system is not  working very well, and I knew this would happen.. I seen it happen in other forums, and places.... 

.  other art styles will never win.. at this rate.   I recommend a few ways to handle this but I got my head bitten off for mentioning this..... 

By the way guys some of the stylized spawners, you can use with other prefabs, sure its more work, and you will need to edit them, but you can use at as an iteration... Then add to them..    This will work. 

This is my 2 cents. on this matter.

FYI,  on March 8, 

• Castle Valley Cliffs Spawner Pack - purchased should be ready next 2-3 weeks  was posted, this is a realism one.  by the looks of it.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Recon said:

I.. So, I knew this   would happen  just saying....   its been mostly stylized and i'm being honest,

.  Now I'm not selfish, but that is all we really seen so far,  and for those that are not making stylized games, I feel is unfair and with  voting, this could and would happen...   some people will vote, with friends, or what they are working on and others will never win.....  

So say 6 people are making stylized and 3 are making realism, and they all vote every month, the realism guys will never get anything.  Not really fair is it? 

I suggested before to have art styles, biome types etc, be rotated, with voting.....

I don't mean to rant, and honestly would be nice to be able to use some ,  as my kids are using this stuff to learn, but they are using realism, to learn. I don't use it   , but my son was like, forget that place, it never has what I want... its all , he calls it ugly stuff.  so I had to spend like 2 days modeling some stuff for them, so he can keep up with there learning, and make a bunch of spawner settings, I have some from my game, which I have him use too though...  

I tell him, its just a art style, I like stylized myself, but I like a variety..  he is young and upset. but it would of be nice to see other art styles for others too.  not just stylized.

I'm all bout fairness, not saying PW is not being fair, but I said this would happen... but the current system is not  working very well, and I knew this would happen.. I seen it happen in other forums, and places.... 

.  other art styles will never win.. at this rate.   I recommend a few ways to handle this but I got my head bitten off for mentioning this..... 

By the way guys some of the stylized spawners, you can use with other prefabs, sure its more work, and you will need to edit them, but you can use at as an iteration... Then add to them..    This will work. 

This is my 2 cents. on this matter.

FYI,  on March 8, 

• Castle Valley Cliffs Spawner Pack - purchased should be ready next 2-3 weeks  was posted, this is a realism one.  by the looks of it.   

Yea I can definitely see that being an issue. Maybe they should set a soft rule like one type per style per month. Cause I'm sure a few months of realistic styled would probably garner the same reaction but opposite.

Also, side note, the story about your kid and style clashes is hilarious and adorable.

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks for the feedback / discussion on the different art styles. I agree that we have been heavy on the stylised / low poly front so far. This has various reasons, the first spawner pack we did was fantasy kingdom to test the waters a bit, and also demonstrate that Gaia is not bound to the assets that come with it. Upon we got immediate requests to do the synty nature pack after, which made sense for us to do since it would go together well with fantasy kingdom. The voting process (as pointed out correctly here in this thread) lead to more stylised packs being created. 
With packs like the desert pack we put out yesterday where we produce the assets ourselves, we additionally have the challenge that if we made this 100% photorealistic, photo-scanned rocks, etc. this would be considerably more effort to complete the pack.
We will take the feedback from this thread and try to create a better balance with the art styles that we put out & also review the voting process to see if we can make an improvement here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Peter said:

Hi all, thanks for the feedback / discussion on the different art styles. I agree that we have been heavy on the stylised / low poly front so far. This has various reasons, the first spawner pack we did was fantasy kingdom to test the waters a bit, and also demonstrate that Gaia is not bound to the assets that come with it. Upon we got immediate requests to do the synty nature pack after, which made sense for us to do since it would go together well with fantasy kingdom. The voting process (as pointed out correctly here in this thread) lead to more stylised packs being created. 
With packs like the desert pack we put out yesterday where we produce the assets ourselves, we additionally have the challenge that if we made this 100% photorealistic, photo-scanned rocks, etc. this would be considerably more effort to complete the pack.
We will take the feedback from this thread and try to create a better balance with the art styles that we put out & also review the voting process to see if we can make an improvement here.

Understandable if you have to make them your self, as yes that does take alot of time, I know I do it every day for a game I been working on for nearly 2 years, but like stylized packs, there are Nature M ones, and other realism ones, I would look at those, or ones folks voted on.   

Because like I said in Jan, I knew this would happen, and folks would feel left out and be like why should I bother?   So, I suggested before to leave voting there , but rotate art styles, based on packs that exist, not really ones you have to make.   I said this to Bryan before Canopy that I knew this would happen based on experience, that this would bog you guys way down, and I know that it takes me months to do these kits and I have years of experience So yes if you have one person or even two it will take awhile..  ..... and in come cases, almost a year to do an entire map...   So, trying to make your own for sure will bog you guys down unless you have the employees for it..   

This was  my worry before ,

I know you guys are newer to this process, and working it out, so don't take this wrong its more about feed back.... then anything. 

My suggestion, is to have  art styles, , biome types,   etc rotate each month, still have users  voting, this way each month, its different, and not the same for the same people.. to make it more fair. This is a suggestion.  That I believe is more fair, to hit everyone  or near .   

So say Realism is picked and Say Desert biome is picked, have folks vote based on those types.  That month, next month, do stylized, then next month, Toon/hand painted.    Unless only two types are wanted by 100% of the users, then you can not add one or the other.    

I would still have voting as you do though.  Not sure if people like the idea or not?  but in my opinion feed back, can help Canopy grow and the community.  

I personally don't come here as often, or have the time to...   but, my kids do, to use some of the stuff. 🙂  They are making a game and learning .

• Like 1

I would love a Synty Apocalypse Spawner Pack to build a large destroyed city (with tiled streets, sidewalks, pavement, etc.). It might be extended to Synty City, Town, SciFi City packages. 

(Or, at least, a tutorial to learn how to make a city-builder with this kind of assets?)

On 3/24/2022 at 1:48 PM, Peter said:

Hi Peter...  your statement above leads me to ask the question that with so many high quality realistic assetss on the asset store, why are you building the assets yourself.  OK it's cheaper for people downloading, but frankly, if you can develop something to use a low poly asset pack that in itself costs $300 + when not on sale,  why do you have to degrade the (not so styalised but still not photo realistic) assets you do for the sake of an asset download of $30 or so such as this one  https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/landscapes/rockydesert-209196#description , which wouldn't even take as long to release as doing your own styalised and not quite so styalised assets?   In fact it would be cheaper, for me, to just buy the asset and drop it into Gaia myself for use as a biome 🙂

In the three months that I have been here, apart from the updates to Gaia and Gena, which I am due anyway through the asset store,  frankly, my $39 a month for three months has given me 20  or so stamps for Gaia.   Seems a bit on the pricey side, $120 for 20 or so stamps) 🙂

You're never going to get the votes required to do what GAIA origionally promised, which is high detail realistic environments if all the people that want those are pushed to one side and decide to vanish and find other ways to accomplish this and is there really a market to fully support Canopy only using styalised assets?

I'm wondering what your churn is on this site and whether you can relate that churn to the output in any way 🙂

I love the idea of Canopy, and yes, I am prepared to pay, even as a sole dev now retired , the equivalent of an asset a month, but I need to see justification in that with things that can be used (for me). and I'm really not having a go in any way, just trying to provide some constructive (I hope) feedback. 

Just really musing at this stage, and hoping for something I can use soon from Canopy.

I have to admit that my usage of the Canopy site is diminishing as the months go by, and I would like to change that, but need reasons to do so.

Graham

@MoriaAppreciate the feedback, as mentioned above already we will review this and bring more balance to the packs that we put out so it is not so one-sided on low-poly stuff only.

• Like 2

Hey everyone, what do you think of doing a content pack for this asset? https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/big-environment-pack-reforged-210354 Its got a really great mix between nature assets and building assets and is quite high quality. In short its the kind of asset devs build games around and I think we can do some really cool stuff with it. Let us know if you would want this!

@Moria @Loran75 @Recon @SyTuck @mkoala @camyoshi @Broudy

~Ben

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ben Black said:

Hey everyone, what do you think of doing a content pack for this asset? https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/big-environment-pack-reforged-210354 Its got a really great mix between nature assets and building assets and is quite high quality. In short its the kind of asset devs build games around and I think we can do some really cool stuff with it. Let us know if you would want this!

~Ben

YES. PLEASE.

This is exactly the kind of spawner I'd love to see. It has an excellent selection of gorgeous nature and buildings. 

I vote a "Hell yes".

On 3/30/2022 at 1:12 AM, Ben Black said:

~Ben

Hi @Ben Black,

It looks very nice but it’s not my style (it’s too much photorealistic to my taste).

In addition, it’s seems that it’s not compatible with URP and HDRP.

EDIT: my bad, according to @Tikal and @Recon, contrary to what some reviews say on the asset store , this pack would be compatible with HDRP. Sorry!

Edited by Loran75
Wrong information

On 3/9/2022 at 3:16 AM, Tikal said:

Dark City 2 is a great idea. I’m curious how to use Gaia/GeNa as a City Builder (and adapt it with a stylized pack 🙂)

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 12:12 AM, Ben Black said:

~Ben

Works for me..  I have the pack.. it's photorealistic and it's not pretentious by being anything other than standard pipeline so it's not subject to all the missing bits of HDRP and URP 🙂

M

• Like 1

• Adam unpinned this topic
  • Tell a friend

Love Canopy - Procedural Worlds? Tell a friend!
  • Need help?

We work with some of the biggest brands in global gaming, automotive, technology, and government to create environments, games, simulations, and product launches for desktop, mobile, and VR.

Our unique expertise and technology enable us to deliver solutions that look and run better at a fraction of the time and cost of a typical project.

Check out some of our non-NDA work in the Gallery, and then Contact Us to accelerate your next project!