Gaia - Terrain and Water - NavMesh generation ?

xexuxjy
Go to solution Solved by xexuxjy,

Apologies if this has been covered, but is it possible to generate a standard terrain, set it to be on say a Ground layer, then set the generated water to be on a Water layer, then add a NavMeshSurface component to the terrain and set up the baking of a NavMesh so that it only includes the Ground layer, and therefore only the areas of the terrain that are above the water mesh? Basically stopping things from walking across water sections.

I realise that doing things like raising or lowering the sea level would invalidate the NavMesh but as it stands I don't seem to be able to generate an appropriate NavMesh , possibly due to the runtime generated water and infinite terrain options.

If this isn't possible, then do you have any advice as to best practise in allowing characters to avoid water while navigating the world?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, xexuxjy said:

I don't seem to be able to generate an appropriate NavMesh

I recommend using Unity's other nav mesh (why they havent put it in - I have no idea). 
https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/NavMeshComponents

This one is 1000 time better than the nav mesh in Unity and its only available on Git. 

As far as changing the layers yes you could if you wanted to. 
Secondly what I typically do is the Game developer move ( use plane game objects - with no mesh render). 

Really this is up to you how you want to handle it. 

• Solution

Thanks, I am using the new system from Git (which I agree seems much cleaner), I think that (unsurprisingly) it was user error.

What I had to do in case anyone's suffering from a similar problem :

Create a Gaia terrain , put it on the Ground layer and add a NavMeshSurface surface component that collects all objects , has a default area of walkable and includes both the Ground and Water layers in it's layer mask.

Add a NavMeshModifier to the water object, sets it's area type to non walkable, and set it to override area.

Bake the NavMeshSurface component on the terrain object. (can take a while depending on voxel size)

That gave me pretty much the result I wanted.

Thanks again and just wanted to comment how on how nicely Gaia has let me quickly generate some really great terrains.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xexuxjy said:

Thanks, I am using the new system from Git (which I agree seems much cleaner), I think that (unsurprisingly) it was user error.

What I had to do in case anyone's suffering from a similar problem :

Create a Gaia terrain , put it on the Ground layer and add a NavMeshSurface surface component that collects all objects , has a default area of walkable and includes both the Ground and Water layers in it's layer mask.

Add a NavMeshModifier to the water object, sets it's area type to non walkable, and set it to override area.

Bake the NavMeshSurface component on the terrain object. (can take a while depending on voxel size)

That gave me pretty much the result I wanted.

Thanks again and just wanted to comment how on how nicely Gaia has let me quickly generate some really great terrains.

Thats great to hear you got it fixed! 

• 1 month later...

Welcome. I read the post and my question would be that I can use the Nav Mesh web management application downloaded from Git - Hub by simply inserting it into Assets? Thank you for the answer.