Unity 101 Performance bible for batches and Gaia in HDRP?

picklefeetgames

We're new to 3d and I am using Gaia Pro / GeNa Pro to spawn a basic Alpine biome over a 5x5 area and am getting 10-20fps on a 9700k / 2070 in the editor.  The editor itself is also so slow it's unusable.  We are on HDRP currently and I cannot figure out why static or URP batching is not working.

Nothing else at all is in scene, no buildings.. just the Alpine biome.

Is there a "bible" of sorts on things you absolutely must do that are not on by default?  I'm expecting 100+ fps in a generic world where I don't even have flora spawned.  

Any help is appreciated.

image.png.c2728ff09e29a8046fb29806ce64fd1a.png

15 hours ago, picklefeetgames said:

We're new to 3d and I am using Gaia Pro / GeNa Pro to spawn a basic Alpine biome over a 5x5 area and am getting 10-20fps on a 9700k / 2070 in the editor.  The editor itself is also so slow it's unusable.  We are on HDRP currently and I cannot figure out why static or URP batching is not working.

Nothing else at all is in scene, no buildings.. just the Alpine biome.

Is there a "bible" of sorts on things you absolutely must do that are not on by default?  I'm expecting 100+ fps in a generic world where I don't even have flora spawned.  

Any help is appreciated.

image.png.c2728ff09e29a8046fb29806ce64fd1a.png

How big are your terrains of the 5x5? 
Are you using World Streaming? 

I recommend that you use the world streaming, if you are not. 
Depending on the size of the overall world you may need to use Floating point fix. 

Making more terrains but smaller is key. 
Secondly, you want to work on only a small area of the world at a time depending on the world size. 
If you are seeing bad Unity performance try unloading parts of the world you are not working on. 
When you are finished unload the terrains and make a build for testing. 
25 terrains is not terrible, but can be a lot depending on how many trees etc. are there. 

I also recommend using something like the PW Tool Kit to gain performance- 
Which is apart of the Canopy Pro Subscription if you are subscribed. 

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

How big are your terrains of the 5x5? 
Are you using World Streaming? 

I recommend that you use the world streaming, if you are not. 
Depending on the size of the overall world you may need to use Floating point fix. 

Making more terrains but smaller is key. 
Secondly, you want to work on only a small area of the world at a time depending on the world size. 
If you are seeing bad Unity performance try unloading parts of the world you are not working on. 
When you are finished unload the terrains and make a build for testing. 
25 terrains is not terrible, but can be a lot depending on how many trees etc. are there. 

I also recommend using something like the PW Tool Kit to gain performance- 
Which is apart of the Canopy Pro Subscription if you are subscribed. 

They are 1km chunks and I am using streaming.

Is there something you have to check to get batching to work? 32,000 batches obviously means all the trees are not batched I would assume and culling is off the charts in the profiler.  I was going to use PW Toolbox but I think something fundamental is missing.  It's just a new HDRP project, import Gaia, 5x5 and spawn Alpine biome.

Your stats look a little weird to me. I have way more tris and verts than you, but your shadow casters are off the charts. (maybe it has to do with hdrp, I'm using built in)

I am only getting 15fps, but this picture was taken on a mobile 1650, petty sure when I tried hdrp I still managed to squeeze out around 10fps but I had to cut in half what was being spawned

iihfdkfhls.jpg

Does turning off your directional light drastically decrease the batches? If you are using Gaia's Runtime, it is found under Gaia Runtime -> Gaia Lighting in the scene hierarchy.

If so, it may be related to some of the lighting settings. 

On 3/3/2022 at 10:52 PM, Isaac said:

Does turning off your directional light drastically decrease the batches? If you are using Gaia's Runtime, it is found under Gaia Runtime -> Gaia Lighting in the scene hierarchy.

If so, it may be related to some of the lighting settings. 

Toggling the Gaia lighting or directional light specifically still gives the same performance.. worse somehow.  It reduces batches by 50% but no perf gain.  I feel like none of the trees are batching.  Why are there 8500 batches with only a basic Gaia Alpine Biome full spawn of 4, 1km terrains? 

Also, I'm in the center of my game with no water nearby and disabling Gaia Planar Reflections increases fps from 60 to 85 but no water is rendering on screen..

On 3/3/2022 at 8:17 PM, tbunreal said:

Your stats look a little weird to me. I have way more tris and verts than you, but your shadow casters are off the charts. (maybe it has to do with hdrp, I'm using built in)

I am only getting 15fps, but this picture was taken on a mobile 1650, petty sure when I tried hdrp I still managed to squeeze out around 10fps but I had to cut in half what was being spawned

iihfdkfhls.jpg

Something is still wrong with tree batching unless URP is just displaying it wrong and this is just the perf we're expected to get (60-80fps on a 2070 in editor with nothing but trees and terrain).  I disabled all the flora and spawned objects.. set all spawned objects static batched and no help.  I can't find where to set the trees static batched.

Does lowering the tree draw distance to 0 on every terrain / ones closest to your camera in runtime (essentially turning them off) reduce the large amount of batches present? Just wondering if it is a batching thing as a whole and not just related to trees. 

image.png.d4c38f303ad386d339deff138f434bc4.png