Console errors when importing Gaia 2. Unity 2021.2.6f1. Gaia 2 v2.2.5

Blacksun_Redux
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

Hi,

I'm a noob, so bear with me. I'm having console errors after importing Gaia 2 (v2.2.5) into my project on Unity 2021.2.6f1.

Using the Gaia "quick start guide" PDF. Using the package manager to import.

When asked "Some of this projects source files refer to API that has changed. ... Do you want these files to be updated?", I'm choosing yes / all.

After import there are 8 or 9 errors as following:

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\MaskSystem\ImageMask.cs(10,32): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'TerrainAPI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Experimental' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\SpawningSystem\Spawner.cs(5,32): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'TerrainAPI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Experimental' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\StampingSystem\Stamper.cs(13,32): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'TerrainAPI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Experimental' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Unity\Terrain Tools\Erosion\IBrushUIGroup.cs(4,32): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'TerrainAPI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Experimental' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Unity\Terrain Tools\Erosion\TerrainToolGUIHelper.cs(7,32): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'TerrainAPI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEditor.Experimental' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Unity\Terrain Tools\Noise\NoiseComponent.cs(5,32): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'TerrainAPI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEditor.Experimental' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Unity\Terrain Tools\Noise\NoiseComponentEditor.cs(4,32): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'TerrainAPI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Experimental' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

This occurs in my project with not much in it, just "Autohand VR Physics Interaction", and also in an empty project, with nothing in it.

I tried importing the Post Processing Package, with no change. I also tried importing the Universal RP (URP) thinking that might help, but no change.

Am I starting off on the wrong foot here with Gaia 2 and the Unity Version? They are said to be compatible, but should I use a different version? Is Gaia 2 even supported anymore? I don't see it on the asset store.

Hopefully someone can get me going in the right direction here...

• Solution
22 hours ago, Blacksun_Redux said:

I'm having console errors after importing Gaia 2 (v2.2.5) into my project on Unity 2021.2.6f1.

This is because Gaia 2 only works from Unity version 2019.3 - 2020.3
Can you please one of the versions that is compatible with that asset? 
I do recommend using an lts version of Unity. 

If you wanted to take advantage of Unity 2021.2.6 then you would want to use 
Gaia 2021 or Gaia pro 2021. 

You can get access to these via the Unity asset store or through a Canopy subscription. 
The pro subscription does come with Gaia Pro 2021 and everything offered on Canopy for only $39 USD. 

• Confused 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2022 at 12:11 PM, Bryan said:

This is because Gaia 2 only works from Unity version 2019.3 - 2020.3
Can you please one of the versions that is compatible with that asset? 
I do recommend using an lts version of Unity. 

If you wanted to take advantage of Unity 2021.2.6 then you would want to use 
Gaia 2021 or Gaia pro 2021. 

You can get access to these via the Unity asset store or through a Canopy subscription. 
The pro subscription does come with Gaia Pro 2021 and everything offered on Canopy for only $39 USD. 

So, your solution is to pay for an upgrade even though the previous tool has been paid for? Why am I being forced to pay $50-$300 for an update to something that's simply a missing namespace?

All that needs to be done is to remove UnityEngine.Experimental.TerrainAPI from every script that uses it.

That's not going to be the only issue. 
Gaia 2 was released years ago and was supported for free for years until 2019.3. 
Gaia Pro 2021 was our first paid upgrade and came with loads of new features, Unity support, etc. 
Gaia Pro 2021 and Gaia 2021 were compatible for 2020.3 - 2023.1 
Again years of free updates and features and support. 

The upgrade price is significantly lowered if you already own a previous version. 

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, shane said:

im getting this error and im not using gaia 2 ive got gaia 2021 ive never had a problem till now

Can you please tell me what Unity version you are using? 
What errors you are getting?