World streaming/Resize help

neodome

I swear I am stuck on this so much and need some help to finally resolve this once and for all.

As a rundown to where I am vs where I need to get to -

• Updated my very old project to Gaia Pro 2021 with Gena, etc. 
  • Took a Stamper of my old project and recreated my terrain.
  • Created 2x Biomes in current project, but it is still 1 "Large" world. 2048x2048. (see File - MainWorld.png). MainWorld.thumb.jpg.d799b5f27f092096afc752ae673f94bf.jpg

Issue -

• I have tried to follow docs very in depth, but when I setup Project and choose a World Size of "Custom" 4x4 Tiles with the settings to 512. (see File - MainWorld_Cut.png)

MainWorld_Cut.thumb.jpg.260be78477dfda908beaa03b0b677565.jpg

• On the surface it looks correct as it would take my current terrain setup and slice it into 16 sections, however once applied it destroys the terrain. Stamp pretends the terrain is now 512x512, but it does create 16 different sections. (see File - MainWorld_Updated.png)

MainWorld_Updated.thumb.jpg.2602adae227efce819240d38a3d114df.jpg

Need - 

In the current setup it works (as Large), but I feel the FPS will be pretty bad in the long run since its a very big world. I also want to try and utilize multiple biomes or scenes. Example North of Map may go to a winter based scene, while East of map would go to a Meadow based scene. How does the World Streaming work in conjunction with MultiBiomes? If I do get the 4x4 Tiles working with makes 16 different terrain splices would the Biome's be able to pick up where it needs to spawn across say 6 of those terrain splices?

Thanks!!! 

On 2/23/2022 at 10:42 AM, neodome said:

I swear I am stuck on this so much and need some help to finally resolve this once and for all.

As a rundown to where I am vs where I need to get to -

• Updated my very old project to Gaia Pro 2021 with Gena, etc. 
  • Took a Stamper of my old project and recreated my terrain.
  • Created 2x Biomes in current project, but it is still 1 "Large" world. 2048x2048. (see File - MainWorld.png). MainWorld.thumb.jpg.d799b5f27f092096afc752ae673f94bf.jpg

Issue -

• I have tried to follow docs very in depth, but when I setup Project and choose a World Size of "Custom" 4x4 Tiles with the settings to 512. (see File - MainWorld_Cut.png)

MainWorld_Cut.thumb.jpg.260be78477dfda908beaa03b0b677565.jpg

• On the surface it looks correct as it would take my current terrain setup and slice it into 16 sections, however once applied it destroys the terrain. Stamp pretends the terrain is now 512x512, but it does create 16 different sections. (see File - MainWorld_Updated.png)

MainWorld_Updated.thumb.jpg.2602adae227efce819240d38a3d114df.jpg

Need - 

In the current setup it works (as Large), but I feel the FPS will be pretty bad in the long run since its a very big world. I also want to try and utilize multiple biomes or scenes. Example North of Map may go to a winter based scene, while East of map would go to a Meadow based scene. How does the World Streaming work in conjunction with MultiBiomes? If I do get the 4x4 Tiles working with makes 16 different terrain splices would the Biome's be able to pick up where it needs to spawn across say 6 of those terrain splices?

Thanks!!! 

What you can do if you are generating this terrain based off an image and want to stamp across the whole world. 
You can use the world designer and set the World Shape - Shape input type to Image. 

Then in the Stamp image choose your image for your terrain. 

Then select generate world. 

The first thing you will see after you create the world would look something like this: 
image.png

Now we are missing terrains but this is by design so the Unity editor can still perform. 
What is happening is that the terrains are simply unloaded and we need to load them in. 
To do this we need to go to the Hierarchy - Gaia Runtime - Terrain Loader Manager. Select Load All. 
image.png

If you wanted to use the manual stamper then you need to open the Gaia Manager- Advanced- Gaia Tools- Stamper
image.png

Then typically if I wanted to continue stamping I would then use the normal stamper and add the distance mask in and change the influence from local to global. 

image.png

Now in regards of the biomes: 

Textures are spawn on the per terrain level - remember to not go over the texture limits. 
As far as game objects when they are spawned they should go to the terrain the spawned on. 

For Example if I was to spawn the Alpine Meadow - Stone across this world then 
image.png

Each terrain has the spawns according to what is on the terrains. Note if you place something down manually you would want do place it down according to the terrain that it belongs. 

When you are finished with your world and want to test performance: 
Go back to the terrain loader manager in the Gaia Runtime - and unload all your terrains. 

This should show you where you are at in performance. 

Also, note that performance in the editor is worse than a build. 
So after the terrain is created I always suggest, going through your runtime and unloading your terrains. 
Then make a build and test performance. 

Hope this helps! Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with! 

I still could not get this to work properly, but with how I am managing the engine I think I will leave it as a Large and just do Teleport Scene objects within my game to load in some new Scenes that may be much smaller in size. etc.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 6:55 PM, neodome said:

I still could not get this to work properly, but with how I am managing the engine I think I will leave it as a Large and just do Teleport Scene objects within my game to load in some new Scenes that may be much smaller in size. etc.

Understood, sorry you are having issues with this.