Mac Build crashes

Dennis Baensch

Hello,

I'm working in a HDRP (12.1.3) project (Unity 2021.2.8f1). Using the package Gaia Pro 2021 v314

After creating a new scene (default outdoors), I open the Gaia Manager, create a new (small or tiny) world, generate biomes, update/add the runtime objects.

World gen and running game in editor is fine. But any build crashes.

I tried using Mono and IL2CPP. 64 Bit And Silicon shows the same problem. Tested on an older iMac and a 2021 Mac Mini M1

Crash Log (mono, 64bit)

Mono path[0] = '/Users/ReplacedMyComputerNameHere/Desktop/BuildT4-64B.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed'
Mono config path = '/Users/ReplacedMyComputerNameHere/Desktop/BuildT4-64B.app/Contents/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
Initialize engine version: 2021.2.8f1 (d0e5f0a7b06a)
[Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path /Users/ReplacedMyComputerNameHere/Desktop/BuildT4-64B.app/Contents/Resources/Data/UnitySubsystems
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1; jobified=0
iMac preferred device: AMD Radeon R9 M390 (high power)
Metal devices available: 1
0: AMD Radeon R9 M390 (high power)
Using device AMD Radeon R9 M390 (high power)
Initializing Metal device caps: AMD Radeon R9 M390
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in  1.154 seconds
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Photo Mode Camera') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Underwater Transition Post Processing') is missing!

UnloadTime: 332.764740 ms

=================================================================
	Native Crash Reporting
Got a segv while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries 
used by your application.

Native stacktrace:
	0x1160c088a - /Users/ReplacedMyComputerNameHere/Desktop/BuildT4-64B.app/Contents/Frameworks/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_breakpoint_clean_code
	0x116066b93 - /Users/ReplacedMyComputerNameHere/Desktop/BuildT4-64B.app/Contents/Frameworks/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_unity_backtrace_from_context
	0x115fe3035 - /Users/ReplacedMyComputerNameHere/Desktop/BuildT4-64B.app/Contents/Frameworks/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_jit_set_domain
	0x7fff207cfd7d - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_platform.dylib : _sigtramp
	0x7 - Unknown
	0x10b317902 - /Users/ReplacedMyComputerNameHere/Desktop/BuildT4-64B.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZdaPvRKSt9nothrow_t
	0x10b5a263c - /Users/ReplacedMyComputerNameHere/Desktop/BuildT4-64B.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZN12MetalContext20ResolveMetalCountersEjjP25MTLCounterResultTimestamp
	0x10b31d723 - /Users/ReplacedMyComputerNameHere/Desktop/BuildT4-64B.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZdaPvRKSt9nothrow_t
	0x10b3137bc - /Users/ReplacedMyComputerNameHere/Desktop/BuildT4-64B.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZdaPvRKSt9nothrow_t
	0x10ab30439 - /Users/ReplacedMyComputerNameHere/Desktop/BuildT4-64B.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZdaPvRKSt9nothrow_t
	0x7fff2078a8fc - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_pthread.dylib : _pthread_start
	0x7fff20786443 - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_pthread.dylib : thread_start

Telemetry Dumper:
Thread 0x70000b08f000 may have been prematurely finalized* Assertion at mono-threads.c:702, condition `info' not met, function:mono_thread_info_current, 

Edited by Dennis Baensch edenApex UG (haftungsbeschraenkt)
Add Gaia version to description

I just reimported the unity project and reinstalled Gaia. Problem still the same on build (crashes at startup) with exact same crash log as shown above.

sometimes, for a v short moment the build shows an all red screen.

Hi, users are claiming in this thread that unchecking "Pause on Error" fixed it for them with similar messages in crash log. However those users were reporting it with a crash when entering play mode. I'm not confident a change in the console settings will influence the build, but might be worth a shot:
https://forum.unity.com/threads/playmode-crash-without-any-info-when-there-is-no-access-to-the-internet.779666/

• Thanks 1

@Dennis Baensch edenApex UG (haftungsbeschraenkt) It is a bit difficult to tell - the exception / error happens somewhere inside unity where we do not have directly access to. While I cannot rule out that it might be caused by Gaia, it can be anything really. What you could try is the following:
- Try to build an empty default scene first only to make sure this is not a project wide issue.
- If that works, you could try to build a Gaia scene with default settings next, to see if it is a general issue with a Gaia created scene. If that does not work, you would know that this is tied to the usage of Gaia in general, and we could investigate further as to which element in the scene might cause it. If it works, you would have a basis of comparison against the non-working scene.
- You can also try to build the affected scene with everything in it disabled, if that runs without crashing, then you could try enabling more and more of the scene until you identify the element causing the crash.

When building try to create a development build as well. I doubt it will be the case, but you might be able to catch an error at the console window in the build then before it crashes.

Thank you @Peter

I had a chance to build the exact same project I used above for PC. Works without any problems.

I will go through all the steps you described and will update here shortly!

I created a completely new project (Unity Unity 2021.2.8f1) - core preset (built in 3D)

From the package manager I import HDRP 12.1.3 - Fix all.. (the default procedure)

I set the editor shader variant limit to 256

Import package Gaia Pro 2021 v314

From the Gaia manager I update Gaia to HDRP

Install shaders

Create a new world, Generate world, Spawn biomes, Create runtime.

Last step is to add the scene to the build settings in the Gaia Manager (Step 4)

On all steps involving Gaia where a dialog pops up I choose "Yes" or the recommended option from Gaia.

The scene runs fine in editor. A Build (default one or Development build) crashes on start.

The only info from the connected debug profiler is:

OSXPlayer "Denniss-iMac.fritz.box" The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Photo Mode Camera') is missing!
OSXPlayer "Denniss-iMac.fritz.box" The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Underwater Transition Post Processing') is missing!

Edit: Update1: It works now if I spawn no biome at all. Further investigating rn

@Peter Edit 2: Build only works if I spawn no biome at all OR just grass. (I am testing with the alpine meadow defaults)

update #2

Thanks for testing this so thoroughly @Dennis Baensch edenApex UG (haftungsbeschraenkt). When it comes to spawning the biomes, does really *any* of the spawners (beside the grass spawner) cause the crash on build? e.g. if you only run the houses spawner, does it crash already as well?
When you have spawned the biome, but then remove everything besides the terrain, does it crash as well? (Trying to find out if the crash is related to the terrain / content on it, or if it is due to a certain stage the gaia objects are in then.)
The two warnings I could imagine to be due to the post processing components on these objects - do you use post processing in this project, and if you select the Underwater post processing object in the hierarchy, do you see the post processing component, or is it missing? 

image.png

• Like 1

Repeated all the steps as above

Underwater PP is there, but disabled.

My testing today: Create world and spawned a biome with JUST GaiaPro-Village.

Something interesting is happening: The build runs on Mac! But (by coincidence) the camera was looking away from the village. Culling (?!) the village objects.. I can move and rotate the camera.

But as soon as I rotate the camera (frustum) near a village house I get a red screen for a quarter of a second and the build crashes.

I'm now investigating what exactly on those objects (houses) let's my app crash @Peter

any idea? Will update here

Edit: Update1: As soon as I disable the Farm houses manually (parent objects in hierarchy), the build runs fine and I can rotate the camera 360 deg without a crash. See pic1

pic1.png

Edit Update #2:

It's a shader issue. (Mac Intel and M1) I kept some fences in my scene, and set the material to use HDRP Lit. Also spawned trees, and also set their material to use HDRP Lit. Result is a working build! Ground textures working, but of course with all white objects in the scene..

Update 3:

It's really down to the shader graphs shaders (HDRP) that come with Gaia.

additional info: disabling /enabling different features on the materials didn't bring a change. disabling GPU instancing also doesn't fix it. And also, removing the textures from the material slots does not prevent the built app from crashing. I‘m not a shader guy so..yea

hopefully this helps you guys 🙂 cheers! Thank you

update #3

Thanks for the thorough investigation! That is a bit odd in so far as that it looks like it is one of our Gaia default shaders in HDRP that is causing the crash, so I would have expected any mac user in HDRP to run into this issue.
Could you please check if you see any error messages in the inspector when you select this file:

image.png

yellow warning messages as shown in my screenshot would be OK, but red errors might be connected to the crash then. Also, if you can, it would be nice if you could test if you get a crash if you create a new, empty scene, and without Gaia being involved, just drag one of these prefabs in the scene and build and run it:
image.png

I'm asking because these buildings / prefabs would use the problematic shader, and this would make for a good reproduction case where anything is as minimal as possible.
I will try to reproduce this on a Mac, if we are able to then we might be able to find out what aspect exactly on the shader causes this and / or forward this to unity.

Thanks, @Peter

Here's my protocol of the current test:

New Project 2021.2.8f1 with built in 3D, install HDRP (v 12.1.3, + Fix all suggestions from the popup window)

Automatically create HDRP settings, profile etc..... HDRP import complete, importing Gaia Pro 2021 v314.unitypackage.

I selected the file as you requested here: Pic 1

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-30 um 20.12.08.png

For the second request I need to switch Gaia to HDRP from the manager. And then I "Install shaders". With all the recommended settings. Afterwards I drag the GaiaForge01 prefab in the SampleScene, Save Scene, Add scene to build list and hit build..

The build crashes, crashlog:

Mono path[0] = '/Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/GaiaTestBuild.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed'
Mono config path = '/Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/GaiaTestBuild.app/Contents/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
[Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/GaiaTestBuild.app/Contents/Resources/Data/UnitySubsystems
- Completed reload, in  0.112 seconds
UnloadTime: 1.698695 ms

Native Crash Reporting

Native stacktrace:
    0x1196d588a - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/GaiaTestBuild.app/Contents/Frameworks/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_breakpoint_clean_code
    0x11967bb93 - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/GaiaTestBuild.app/Contents/Frameworks/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_unity_backtrace_from_context
    0x1195f8035 - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/GaiaTestBuild.app/Contents/Frameworks/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_jit_set_domain
    0x7fff20979d7d - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_platform.dylib : _sigtramp
    0x7fff80c6fb60 - /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation : __kCFAllocatorSystemDefault
    0x1051b5902 - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/GaiaTestBuild.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZdaPvRKSt9nothrow_t
    0x10544063c - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/GaiaTestBuild.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZN12MetalContext20ResolveMetalCountersEjjP25MTLCounterResultTimestamp
    0x1051bb723 - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/GaiaTestBuild.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZdaPvRKSt9nothrow_t
    0x1051b17bc - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/GaiaTestBuild.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZdaPvRKSt9nothrow_t
    0x1049ce439 - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/GaiaTestBuild.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZdaPvRKSt9nothrow_t
    0x7fff209348fc - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_pthread.dylib : _pthread_start
    0x7fff20930443 - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_pthread.dylib : thread_start

Telemetry Dumper:
Thread 0x70000c19a000 may have been prematurely finalized* Assertion at mono-threads.c:702, condition `info' not met, function:mono_thread_info_current, 

Edit: Additional test. You asked for red errors 😉 I get some when I select the shader(or material) from the house prefab and hit [Edit]. Shader Graph window opens and I get:

Two properties with the same reference name (_DoubleSidedEnable) using different types
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:356)

Same for Double Sided Normal Mode, Double Sided Constants, and many more. IDK if this affects the shader anyway..

See Pic 2

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-30 um 21.20.13.png

Hi @Dennis Baensch edenApex UG (haftungsbeschraenkt)thanks again for the detailed analysis, we are looking at it in the team at the moment. If we can reproduce the error on a mac, we might be able to find out which shader feature causes it and change it accordingly, if we can not associate it with a certain feature, we can play this forward to unity for analysis.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Dennis Baensch edenApex UG (haftungsbeschraenkt), please excuse the lack of updates - we have tested the issue in the meantime and ran into problems with our test hardware which have been resolved. We were able to reproduce the issue and can confirm that it seems indeed to be caused by the shader being present in the build, as soon as we e.g. switch that shader out to the standard shader of the pipeline (HDRP\Lit in case of the HD Pipeline), the build is working again. We are currently taking the shader apart to find out which shader feature the crash is associated with so we might work around this issue and / or supply you with a replacement shader.

• Like 1

Hi @Dennis Baensch edenApex UG (haftungsbeschraenkt) we have further narrowed this down to a specific feature in the PW_General_Shadergraph_HDRP shader - this is a general surface shader used in most objects and trees in Gaia, which explains why the build was crashing whenever you run any spawner besides the grass spawner. The feature in question was the preparation for instanced indirect rendering via our Terrain Detail System Flora. If we take that part out, we do not experience crashes anymore.
The good news is that we can provide you with a shader where we removed this specific feature. Please find attached a small patch package that contains the modified shader. You can import it in your project by unzipping the zip file and then double clicking the .unitypackage therein, or by selecting Assets > Import Package > Custom Package in the unity editor.
Visually there should be no difference between the shaders, the only downside of using this patch would be that you would not be able to use this shader in custom made terrain details that you want to render with the Flora system. You could however still use the designated terrain detail shader "PW_Foliage_ShaderGraph_HDRP" instead.

Could you please install the attached patch and let us know if it worked for you?

We will still investigate further to fix this properly in the future. Coincidence has it that there was a bug introduced in the recent Unity Editor version 2021.2.8f that created problems with instanced indirect rendering in a build, it might be that those two are related.

Thanks for all the patience and the efforts to investigate the issue from your end!

HDRP_MAC_PW_General_NoFlora.zip

• Thanks 1

Hey @Peter For some reason my forum-nickname contains my whole company name too (I wanted it to be on the invoice). But who cares.

Thank you for your support and the patch.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Visually there should be no difference between the shaders, the only downside of using this patch would be that you would not be able to use this shader in custom made terrain details that you want to render with the Flora system.

So that means that if I really just need terrain + foliage generated by Gaia Pro/Flora as it comes out of the box (subscription), I would not need to change the workflow or something, just installing the patch?

That sounds fantastic. I will do some testing during the weekend and will update you here asap!

Thanks again and see you 🙂

GaiaPro2021v320 zip .. can't open the archive on mac with the default unpacker (I reported this problem earlier to the team) -> workaround is using a PC and sending the unpacked file "back" to my Mac.. just letting you know that other costumers might run into that problem too..

Also your patch zip file does not give me a valid unity package file on Mac. I can de-zip it but it gives me corrupted files.

- Importing Gaia Pro v320 into my project (Unity 21.2.8f1 + HDRP 12.1.3)

- Doing all the necessary (minimal) steps to set a world, biome + runtime up (all default settings for now)

Build for Mac Intel+Silicon: Unity Splash screen than Cras h to desktop (expected)

Build including the patched file you posted above: Crash to desktop

Editor Console outputs "Shader Graph at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Shaders/PW General/PW_General_ShaderGraph_HDRP.shadergraph has 6 error(s), the first is: Validation: Source file does not exist. A valid .hlsl, .cginc, or .cg file must be referenced" after importing your patch file. Maybe that's related.. @Peter

Edit: Again the build works as long as I move/rotate the cam away from any scenery. I see the ocean, turn around and get the crash to desktop.

Log file:

Mono path[0] = '/Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/gaiatest4patch.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed'
Mono config path = '/Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/gaiatest4patch.app/Contents/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
Found 2 interfaces on host : 0) 192.168.178.36 1) 169.254.166.80
Multi-casting "[IP] 192.168.178.36 [Port] 55247 [Flags] 2 [Guid] 731205414 [EditorId] 1856973594 [Version] 1048832 [Id] OSXPlayer(1,Denniss-iMac.fritz.box) [Debug] 0 [PackageName] OSXPlayer [ProjectName] Xbrick3D" to [225.0.0.222:54997]...
[Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/gaiatest4patch.app/Contents/Resources/Data/UnitySubsystems
- Completed reload, in  0.653 seconds
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Photo Mode Camera') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Underwater Transition Post Processing') is missing!

UnloadTime: 1.826860 ms

Native Crash Reporting

Native stacktrace:
    0x1137c888a - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/gaiatest4patch.app/Contents/Frameworks/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_dump_native_crash_info
    0x11376eb93 - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/gaiatest4patch.app/Contents/Frameworks/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_handle_native_crash
    0x1136eb035 - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/gaiatest4patch.app/Contents/Frameworks/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_sigsegv_signal_handler_debug
    0x7ff8053dbe2d - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_platform.dylib : _sigtramp
    0x7fca36f500e0 - Unknown
    0x116f6929f - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/gaiatest4patch.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZN15GfxDeviceWorker10RunCommandER20ThreadedStreamBuffer
    0x1172195dc - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/gaiatest4patch.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : GfxDeviceWorkerAutoreleasePoolProxy
    0x116f6fe33 - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/gaiatest4patch.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZN15GfxDeviceWorker6RunExtER20ThreadedStreamBuffer
    0x116f654e8 - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/gaiatest4patch.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZN15GfxDeviceWorker18RunGfxDeviceWorkerEPv
    0x116365dba - /Users/MyComputerName/Desktop/gaiatest4patch.app/Contents/Frameworks/UnityPlayer.dylib : _ZN6Thread16RunThreadWrapperEPv
    0x7ff8053c64f4 - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_pthread.dylib : _pthread_start
    0x7ff8053c200f - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_pthread.dylib : thread_start

Telemetry Dumper:
Thread 0x70001013c000 may have been prematurely finalized* Assertion at mono-threads.c:702, condition `info' not met, function:mono_thread_info_current, 
Obtained 0 stack frames.

I did some further testing and found out that PW_Foliage_ShaderGraph_HDRP.shadergraph makes problems.

I took your patched file and also replaced the above (foliage) file with it (to be clear: I renamed it into the file above, then replaced). Now the build does Not crash anymore ... but my foliage does look a bit ugly of course. Maybe the solution is simple and you could do the same temp. fix to that file and provide it?

Cheers 🙂

6 hours ago, Dennis Baensch edenApex UG (haftungsbeschraenkt) said:

I did some further testing and found out that PW_Foliage_ShaderGraph_HDRP.shadergraph makes problems.

I took your patched file and also replaced the above (foliage) file with it (to be clear: I renamed it into the file above, then replaced). Now the build does Not crash anymore ... but my foliage does look a bit ugly of course. Maybe the solution is simple and you could do the same temp. fix to that file and provide it?

Cheers 🙂

Can you send a screenshot of what it looks like? 

49 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Can you send a screenshot of what it looks like? 

I already deleted my test project, but replacing the foliage shader with the general..umm.. That was just a stupid test, I didn't even look closely at the details. But from far away I remember the trees didn't have working alpha/transparency

If you could strip Flora from the general AND foliage shader, test it and give that out as a "patch" I would be happy. TBH I know nothing about shader graph.

Hi @Dennis Baensch, we added a new field in the user profile to store the company name - I moved your company name over there.

Regarding the shaders - it is a shame that the foliage shader makes trouble as well, I assumed that one would be working for you because initially it seemed to be working when only grass was spawned on the terrain (which would use the foliage shader as well.) I can't unfortunately simply remove the instancing feature from the grass / foliage shader as this would break the grass rendering through Flora as well. This would mean you would not be able to use the Flora grass rendering system - this would mean you would need to adapt the gaia spawners to use unity's GPU instanced grass rendering system instead (the "regular" grass rendering modes of the built-in pipeline do not work in HDRP)
There is however news coming from an entirely different direction: Unity 2021.2.12 came out, and it fixed an issue with instanced indirect rendering in build that we had on windows pcs. It is quite plausible that this would also fix the crash you experience on a mac - from the info we got from unity there was an issue in Editor versions from 2021.2.8 to 2021.2.11 with instanced indirect rendering in a build - which is exactly the "breaking feature" that I removed in the patch I sent you. Could you please try if you still experience the crash when you update to Unity editor version 2021.2.12?

@Peter

With Unity 2021.2.12f1 and Gaia Pro 2021v320 the build does not crash anymore,

but I get a blank white screen (pure white) and nothing more (on Intel and M1). Build from the same project with a scene without Gaia implemented runs fine.

Edit: Same pure white screen with your patch file installed

Edit 2: Nevermind, after adding Gaia Runtime components (new camera and stuff) it seems to work. I will post an update soon. But for now it looks promising 🙂

On 2/22/2022 at 11:00 AM, Dennis Baensch said:

Nevermind, after adding Gaia Runtime components (new camera and stuff) it seems to work. I will post an update soon. But for now it looks promising 🙂

That sounds promising! The white screen issue until the runtime setup could be a HDRP issue maybe - the difference between the initial scene and after creating runtime would be that we set up a more complete lighting setup for HDRP, I could imagine that something is missing until then that would cause an issue in the build then. But it sounds indeed like the newer editor version fixed the crash and the issue was connected to the instanced indirect bug in those specific editor versions .8 to .11 then.