Trouble using HDRP Time of Day in Unity 2023.1.4f1

John Reynders

Hi,

I’m having trouble getting Time of Day to work on a configuration of:

• Unity 2023.1.4f1
  • HDRP 15.06
  • Gaia Pro 2021 v3.4.0
  • HDRP Time Of Day v1.2.0

i created a test project which reduced things to creating a standalone project that only installed Gaia Pro2021 and Time Of Day. No other packages or code other than these elements from Procedural Worlds.

I instantiated this test project with the above configuration.

I also instantiated a test project in another configuration which i have been able to get to work in another project:

• Unity 2021.3.20f1
  • HDRP 12.1.10
  • Gaia Pro 2021 v3.4.0

I followed the steps for set up in - nothing special, just the defaults as outlined in the very helpful video:

Basically in Gaia Manager the default Create World with Powerful Desktop → Generate World → Spawn Biome

When it came to the runtime, i selected Procedural Worlds Sky:

image.png.2245ca40f626349c8ced5c4d9c4eed1f.png

In the 2021 LTS case, it created the Time Of Day component and when run, worked great. And in the Hierarchy, i have components as follows:

image.png.0547ad7f144ff2001f0e5dca769d9662.png

In the 2023.1.4f1 project, following exactly the same steps, a Time Of Day component is created - but it is not populated:

image.png.81204be56c23df2e9df3745b6698ecfc.png

I compared with the working 2021.3.20f1 version to manually add the components into the inspector fields - however, it seems some elements are simply not installed and i am not able to get the system to work - and effects appear to be missing. The hierarchy in this case is:

image.png.bfaf596c9d8a1a062fedd46bd92f1ef8.png

Not sure what has changed wherein Time Of Day no longer works in this version of Unity. Let me know if there is something i should do differently or if there is a work around. I very much want to utilize Time of Day in our current development on the Tech Stream branch.

• John Reynders changed the title to Trouble using HDRP Time of Day in Unity 2023.1.4f1

We will need to take a look at the new Unity version. 
I will be taking a look to see if I get similar results. 

Thanks Bryan,

I've pulled back to the latest LTS (2022.3.5f1) - and Time of Day works just great. Full config is:

• Unity 2022.3.5f1
  • HDRP 14.0.8
  • Gaia Pro 2021 v3.4.0

Seems to be something funky on the Tech Stream. I've run into a few challenges on Tech Stream and think i'll just work off the latest LTS for now - so, no urgency.