Please rewrite to remove the standard assets code

Timps

Team, I love the hell out of Gaia, there's very little you make that I don't own, and I recommend them to people endlessly.

But it is absolutely maddening to bring Gaia 2021 into a brand new project and get errors about photo mode and Gaia Utils not working because the Characters class isn't present from Unity Standard Assets.

Those files haven't been updated in years.
Why does Gaia need me to bring in Ethan, and some car model and 5yr old scripts to have things like photo mode and a simple character controller.

It's just so frustrating to import and go to get started and every script in the project then falls over because now I've got console errors from a dependency that makes no sense.

Can Proc Worlds not just make a simple controller for these things and be contained on it's own?

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Photo Mode\PhotoMode.cs(15,27): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Characters' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityStandardAssets' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Utils\GaiaUtils.cs(26,27): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Characters' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityStandardAssets' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Utils\GaiaUtils.cs(27,27): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Characters' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityStandardAssets' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Asset Samples\Standard Assets\Utility\SimpleActivatorMenu.cs(11,16): error CS0619: 'GUIText' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

It's Unity 2021.3.8

I've installed Gaia Pro 2021 after I imported a bunch of models and things I want to build the world with. And this is all I've got.

Hi @Timps, when Gaia was first created the standard assets were a good way to quickly allow users to try different character controller setups without us having to develop and maintain those controllers. We are aware that those are a bit dated by now and can create conflicts, we are planning to replace the standard assets with the newer unity first and third person controllers:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/starter-assets-first-person-character-controller-196525

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/starter-assets-third-person-character-controller-196526

We plan to make it so that Gaia does not include those, but will work with those when those are installed which would mean less bloat and no conflict.

We had a look at the error messages, and it looks like that one of the other assets you have installed might also include an even older version of the standard assets as well which creates a conflict. For example the last error message mentions the script

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Asset Samples\Standard Assets\Utility\SimpleActivatorMenu.cs

this script is part of the Standard assets, but is NOT included in Gaia.

Can you please try to delete the folder: 

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Asset Samples\Standard Assets\

and then re-import that exact folder back from the Gaia package?

• 1 month later...

Awesome, thank you Bryan. Sorry it's been a long time, I thought I'd get pinged when the reply came in.
Will check out that project and kill the folder.