Fog Problem

Kelsey

I'm having some trouble with the fog.  When fog is enabled it fills the entire screen with fog at the scene's startup in play mode and you cannot see anything other than fog.  With fog disabled the fog problem is gone until a weather effect starts playing and then the problem comes up again until that weather effect is stopped.

How can I get my fog to work properly?  I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing on setup but the instructions didn't mention anything regarding this.

Using Unity 2021.3 and the latest version of Time of Day with a fresh install of Time of Day.

I just started from scratch converting my project from the standard rendering pipeline back over to the HDRP and this time this isn't happening anymore but something else is happening that doesn't seem to be correct behavior.  When "Use Fog" is enabled the sky flickers with a whitish color every half second or so and its somewhat subtle, its not very bright but it is noticeable.  When "Use Fog" is disabled this doesn't happen.

It seems that the clouds are flickering, both the volumetric clouds and the procedural clouds.  At least during the daytime it makes the flickering in the sky stop when clouds are disabled.

Thanks for that link I'll take a look at it and see if it helps.

Is the Planar Reflection Probe they're talking about in that last post the "Global Reflection Probe" that's within the Time of Day game object hierarchy?  Because I don't think I have any other reflection probes in my scene other than that one.

Disabling Fog on the Global Reflection Probe doesn't seem to fix the flickering, at least not the daytime flickering.  I haven't seen any weather play yet and its more noticeable during the weather.  I'll wait for some weather to start up and see what happens.

Ok so it just played a rain storm at night and it wasn't doing lightning very much but the flickering wasn't noticeable until the storm stopped and you could see the night sky again.

The only things I've messed with in my HDRP Settings are: switching the rendering mode to both deferred and forward, enabling SSGI, and enabling volumetric clouds.  It was happening in Deferred rendering mode as well as regular forward rendering. 

Hey, could you post a quick video showing the problem it'll give me better understanding of the situation and where to look.

Josh

Here is a short video showing the different times of the day/night that its flickering.  The flickering can be a lot worse during the day on the clouds but I didn't get to capture that.

16 hours ago, Kelsey said:

Here is a short video showing the different times of the day/night that its flickering.  The flickering can be a lot worse during the day on the clouds but I didn't get to capture that.

Thanks for providing a video, like Peter said try this -

And let me know if this does fix your issue too

I tried disabling "Use Overrides" for the Underwater Settings of Time Of Day and switching my HDRendering to Forward Only (it was previously on Forward and Deferred) and Unity crashed and now the fog is back in full force and I can't see much of my scene any more, its always present.

I tried deleting Time of Day from my project, and deleting the prefabs from my scenes, then reinstalling Time of Day but the fog won't go away this time.

It looks like just one of my 5 scenes is broken with the fog showing over everything.  The other 4 seem to be unaffected.  I tried copying the Time of Day game object from one of the working scenes and putting it into the broken scene but that doesn't seem to fix it.

I fixed the overwhelming fog issue on that scene that crashed Unity.

In addition to my main game camera in each scene I also have a "WorldMap Camera" that I use to draw the terrain from high above to a render texture to show to the player as their world map and also a "Particle Camera" which I use to render scent particle effects to when the player's dinosaur smells the area.

For some reason this time around I needed to set those two cameras' "Environment" -> Volume Layer Mask AND Probe Layer Mask to "Nothing" and then the overwhelming fog went away.

I'm not sure why that behavior wasn't present on the other 4 game scenes, their Volume Layer Mask was "Default" and Probe Layer Mask was "Everything" and they were working fine.  I'm guessing the crash messed something up internally on the one scene that Unity crashed on when it was open.