Sky flickering during rainy weather

mroshaw

Hello! I hope this finds you well!

I've noticed some odd flickering in the sky, specifically during the rainy weather.

I've captured in a short video, and I hope you can make out what I'm referring to. It's not the lightning, that's clearly separate, but there is definitely a weird flickering effect going on:

I've checked:

• No other volumes in the scene, other than the HDRP Time of Day volumes.
  • Main Camera is configured as per the Gaia default.
  • I've tried removing HDRP ToD and adding it back in.

Any ideas?

Using:

• Gaia 3.2.6
  • GeNa 3.3.20
  • HDRP ToD: 1.1.0
  • Unity 2021.3.7f1 

Thanks!

QUICK UPDATE: I'm only seeing this in builds, not run-time, and it seems to be connected to the "Gaia HDRP Planar Reflections" Planar Reflection Probe. Certainly, if I disable this the flickering no longer occurs.

15 hours ago, mroshaw said:

Hello! I hope this finds you well!

I've noticed some odd flickering in the sky, specifically during the rainy weather.

I've captured in a short video, and I hope you can make out what I'm referring to. It's not the lightning, that's clearly separate, but there is definitely a weird flickering effect going on:

I've checked:

• No other volumes in the scene, other than the HDRP Time of Day volumes.
  • Main Camera is configured as per the Gaia default.
  • I've tried removing HDRP ToD and adding it back in.

Any ideas?

Using:

• Gaia 3.2.6
  • GeNa 3.3.20
  • HDRP ToD: 1.1.0
  • Unity 2021.3.7f1 

Thanks!

QUICK UPDATE: I'm only seeing this in builds, not run-time, and it seems to be connected to the "Gaia HDRP Planar Reflections" Planar Reflection Probe. Certainly, if I disable this the flickering no longer occurs.

Hmm that is odd, well the TOD system does refresh this probe if Time is changed or weather is active. It's very odd, thanks for digging into this and i will take a look into it and find out why it flickers the sky.

Josh

Thanks Josh.

I've found that if I disable fog on the Planar Reflection Probe, the flickering stops.

So, on the Probe, check "Custom Frame Settings" and disable fog:

image.png.a37a751ddc15d56e12dea48702c4d01f.png

So, maybe that helps (or doesn't!) but at least I can keep my lovely reflections and not have the flickering during weather.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:33 PM, mroshaw said:

Thanks Josh.

I've found that if I disable fog on the Planar Reflection Probe, the flickering stops.

So, on the Probe, check "Custom Frame Settings" and disable fog:

image.png.a37a751ddc15d56e12dea48702c4d01f.png

So, maybe that helps (or doesn't!) but at least I can keep my lovely reflections and not have the flickering during weather.

Thanks, will see to getting this added into HDRP TOD next update.