Null Reference Exception when generating Texture Array's

Broudy
Go to solution Solved by Adam,

I have 4 textures on my terrain, and can apply the profile, but when it tries to generate the texture array I get the attached.

I've tried a new profile, re-importing GTS.  Also tried clearing the layers etc, restarting Unity

Using 2021.3.5f1.  Terrain generated by Gaia Pro 2021, with textures from LetsMakeCoolArt and Aquarius Max Poly Rocks.

Null Reference Exception.png

Hi @Broudy, I looked into this and this seems to be caused by the terrain layer not having a normal map assigned - this is a bug in GTS as this should of course be an user choice to have a normal map or not.
If you do have normal maps for those textures and want to use them, can you please assign them in the terrain layers here & recreate the texture arrays:

image.png

If you intentionally do not want to use normal maps, can you please assign any texture (e.g. reassign the same texture used in "albedo map texture"), then when the texture arrays have been created, drag the "Normal Strength" slider all the way down to 0. This gives essentially the same result as not using a normal map to begin with.

Thanks Peter, that texture doesn't have a normal map it was just one I had in a pack I'd imported for other things.  I'll make sure that there is a normal map for everything.  

But I must say great work, even with the little time I spent my terrains looked much better.  

• Like 1

• Solution
4 hours ago, Broudy said:

Thanks Peter, that texture doesn't have a normal map it was just one I had in a pack I'd imported for other things.  I'll make sure that there is a normal map for everything.  

But I must say great work, even with the little time I spent my terrains looked much better. 

Patch has been released 🙂

• Thanks 2