Terrain turn black after bake lightmap

T4Totoro
Go to solution Solved by Isaac,

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

There should be a far distance and a close distance for color you would need to adjust both. 

this only happen after i bake lighting and apply to my scene, when i remove the lighting map data, it will appear normally.

Do i need to adjust anything?

On 10/11/2023 at 6:36 AM, Bryan said:

What is your color map settings? 

sorry but somehow i dont know how to check it, because our TA just leave the project, i'm basically just a 3D artist.

but i think the lightmap data somehow override something of GTS, here the scr eenshot of before and after having lightmap data in Scene

image.png

Can you please tell me what the GTS Profile is. 
This almost looks like its the GEO Settings Farn Normal strength and other far settings vs the near settings. 
image.png

I would go through all the far settings Color map, Geo, and Height blending would be the most important here. 
What you can do is disable each section first to see what could cause that to happen. 
Then enable each one to see where that change is being made. 
If I had to guess it would be the GEO Settings. 

On 10/19/2023 at 12:29 AM, Bryan said:

Can you please tell me what the GTS Profile is. 
This almost looks like its the GEO Settings Farn Normal strength and other far settings vs the near settings. 

I would go through all the far settings Color map, Geo, and Height blending would be the most important here. 
What you can do is disable each section first to see what could cause that to happen. 
Then enable each one to see where that change is being made. 
If I had to guess it would be the GEO Settings. 

Hi there, sorry that i missed your reply, so sorry,

I use Detail setting, Geo setting, Height and Variant, after recheck as you note, i notice that my terrain after baking lightmap, my terrain seem to be lose all normal and roughness, from all GTS setting and Texture layer paint on my terrain, only base color remain, so it make my terrain look dark and flat.image.png.879adcb1dc7b5c3169306e85433c89fa.png

Hi @T4Totoro,

I tried your lightmap settings and GTS settings in a fresh project and can't seem to reproduce the same issue that you are experiencing.

Could also check if any of the textures within the GTS Material are missing?

They can be found by navigating to the terrain component whilst GTS is enabled, and selecting the material slot in the Terrain Settings tab. Check to see if any of the textures within the same folder as the GTS terrain material is not assigned in any slots within the material

image.thumb.png.6ce4ecc222fd54ca5406f9bfb88381e9.png

@IsaacThe material seem has texture connect correctly, here is screenshot that i try to bake preview.

Is there any chance that the texture compress or lightmap compress impact it?

And my terrain are separate into 4 pieces also.

image.png

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @T4Totoro, sorry that this is still a problem. Could you confirming if this is still an issue in a fresh URP project with the same lightmap baking settings? 

You mention that the terrain is 4 separate pieces, is that 4 separate Unity Terrains, or 4 separate meshes (i.e. not Unity Terrain)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 4:41 AM, Isaac said:

Hi @T4Totoro, sorry that this is still a problem. Could you confirming if this is still an issue in a fresh URP project with the same lightmap baking settings? 

You mention that the terrain is 4 separate pieces, is that 4 separate Unity Terrains, or 4 separate meshes (i.e. not Unity Terrain)?

Hi @Isaac, after checking and testing, we found out that this node from shader graph is the one that making my terrain turn black after baking:

If i turn off the nearCamera node, the terrain display ok.

image.thumb.png.ad40fed8217f168cf8a227557397edbe.png

If i turn it on with value 1, it will make my terrain be darken

image.thumb.png.46cda8c7fad50333e1135b1b45bdc8fc.png

And if i link the graph, my terrain seem darken from the center.image.thumb.png.bc7fb0f72d52fa4590dd8cfdc30d9a53.png

But the problem is i only can edit the graph with the base shader but not the compiled one, which will have the shader effect. Can you help me with this?

image.png.8917be79d7e62eba53ff86d45f55cbcb.png

• Solution

Hey,

Can you double check if the albedo color is different between the near and far blend? This can done through Window -> Analysis -> Rendering Debugger, in the Material section:

image.thumb.png.5c4b45bbfe621f2cb053b7407d9ef227.png

Can you also check if the Ambient Occlusion is drastically different between the 2 blends?

image.thumb.png.f9916a4bdd47f79aca0bc3891b3f79a1.png

If it is darker than closer to the terrain, you could bias the ambient occlusion in the layers panel of the GTS Manager

image.thumb.png.b35f6bf5e3efed8555c3aff32af9430e.png

• Like 1