Perfomace issue in edit mode when I use Spawn Biome

hajikano
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

I'm using Gaia Pro 2023. when I create a large or even medium sized terrain it performs great until I click Spawn Biome Button. The editor preview becomes very laggy and after a while  Unity memory overflow error may occur, which causes Unity to crash and quit.
I've tried running the game directly and there's no noticeable lag, the lag only happens in the editor yet. Is this because you have optimized for game mode?
Also I have checked the performance performance of the device in the task manager and both the CPU and GPU are still under low load.
I would be grateful if you guys could assist me in resolving this issue.
Here's my device info to help:

Gaia Version: 4.0.3 PRO

Unity Info:
Unity Version: 2022.3.8f1
Company Name: DefaultCompany
Product Name: Template
Project Version: 0.1.0
Project Data Path: D:/Projects/u3d/DDimen_Gaia/Assets
Render Pipeline: URP

System Info:
Operating System: Windows 11  (10.0.22621) 64bit
Supports Compute Shaders: Yes
Supports GPU Instancing: Yes
Supports Ray Tracing: No
Supports Async Compute: No
Supports GPU Async Compute: Yes
Supports Texture Streaming: Yes

Graphics Info:
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA
Graphics Card Name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
Graphics Card Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
Graphics Driver Version: Direct3D11
Graphics Card Memory: 24156 MB

Processor Info:
Processor Name: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K
Processor Core Count: 32
Processor Speed: 2995 GHz

Memory Info:
Memory (RAM): 65378 MB

info-when-edir-mode.jpg

Hi @hajikano,

this is definitely not normal, especially not given your hardware. You should be able to create large or medium sized terrains without issues.
Do you see any error messages in the console window when it becomes laggy? What could help a lot to identify the problem would be to profile the editor window while it is being laggy.
To do so, open the profiler, make sure that it is profiling the editor window and not the game, and start and stop recording while the laggy behaviour happens. It would then be interesting to see what takes the most processing power in the scene / project. Here with my example it is rendering the scene view, I hope that in your case you can capture some script / process running amok after the biome spawn:

image.png

Could you please check if you can see anything out of the ordinary that takes a lot of CPU? If in doubt, you can also post a screenshot here. Anything that would look like it is a tool or a script running, from Gaia or another asset, might be suspicious.

Another thing that could potentially be interesting is the Editor logfile: It should list the error from the crash (most likely an out of memory exception), but might also give an indication what is going on beforehand, e.g. a certain error is spammed repeatedly.  On windows you can find the Editor logfile under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Unity\Editor\Editor.log, for additional info see:
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

Feel free to post the logfile here as well when you capture it after a crash, then we can take a look as well.

• Like 1

Hi @Peter. Thanks for your replying. I try to record some data from Profiler and I got these following images.

In first image, it seems like when I am moving the camera, there are some scripts running with large computing and cost lots of time.

And the console error is recording in the second image (The error seems only show when Gaia is tring to Spawn Biome).

For excluding other possible reason of my existing project, I create a new UDP project and import GaiaPro 2023 only. 
Then I create a large terrain and click Spawn Biome button. Unfortunately I got the same laggy result.

Hope these infomation could be helpful.

profiler.png

console-err.png

• Solution

Hi @hajikano, great that you have found a solution! Note though that clearing the game objects will delete all game objects spawned by Gaia on the terrain, e.g. rocks, houses, etc. will be gone. If you do not need those, or were planning to create your own spawner setup anyways, this should be ok.
If you do wanted to use the objects spawned by Gaia in your scene, you could consider running the individual spawners one by one to see if you can find out which is the one that creates the performance issues for you.

• Like 1