Gaia Pro 2023 and First Person Controller

ironcladmerc
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

I'm trying to use the Unity first person controller from the asset store in Gaia Pro 2023, and when I go into play mode I get this error, and it never progresses beyond about 25% of loading:

MissingComponentException: There is no 'Rigidbody' attached to the "PlayerCapsule" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
You probably need to add a Rigidbody to the game object "PlayerCapsule". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
Gaia.RigidbodyWaitForTerrainLoad.Start () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Packages - Install/Gaia/Gaia Pro/Scripts/Core/Multi-Terrain System/RigidbodyWaitForTerrainLoad.cs:38)

I am using the terrain loading , the project is 4x4 scenes.  I tried adding a Rigid body component to it, and it does load but the capsule just rolls around the terrain, I have no control over it.

Any idea what the fix is? 

Hi @ironcladmerc I fear this might be a bug in the new Gaia Version - what this script does is it prevents the player character from falling under the terrain while the terrains are still being loaded into the scene. Usually the gravity calculations are done via a rigidbody on a player character, so the script pauses that rigidbody until the terrains are loaded, and activates it then.
I will review this and should have a fix for this shortly, what you can do in the meantime as a workaround is to deactivate the RigidbodyWaitForTerrain script on the player and place the player character a bit above the terrain so it has less of a chance of slipping below the terrain surface while it is still loading.

• Solution

@ironcladmerc I reviewed the script, and I found that it is set up correctly in theory: The first person controller is deactivated by default, but the WaitForTerrainLoad script has it as a component that should be activated once the terrain is loaded below the player.

image.png

However due to the missing rigidbody error you were seeing in the console, the activation never takes place correctly. Please find attached a patch to fix the script, you can install it via Assets > Import Package > Custom Package in the unity editor.

Gaia2023RigidbodyErrorHotfix.zip

Once the patch is installed the script should work correctly again with the First Person Controller as well.

Thank you for the update! 
If you are happy with the support and our new asset, please consider leaving a review on the Unity asset store. 
It would help us out a lot! 

Cheers and happy development!