How to remove Gaia 2023 from my scene?

Thomas123
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

I got my world. Now I want to remove Gaia from my scene (not the project) and go on with GeNa.

• I used microsplat to convert my terrain (I got too many limitations with GTS) which added all the terrains to one scene
  • Now I added my placer (Game Creator 2)
  • And I removed all the Gaia Tools and Runtime
  • I did not remove GeNa Spawners and GeNa Spawns (they still remain under the terrain)

Now I have the problem: as soon as I delete the Gaia tools + runtime, they get recreated again. 

How do I remove them from the scene, without deleting Gaia completely?

Hi Thomas, normally you should be able to delete Gaia Tools and Runtime. If you do use Gaia Tools again, e.g. bring in another stamper or biome spawner etc. they will get re-created. Note that if you are using Terrain Loading, it is inevitable to have Gaia Runtime in there as it houses the Terrain Loader Manager without which it would not work to load in and out terrains correctly.
I tried to reproduce this by removing Gaia Tools and Gaia Runtime from a quick scene I made and they seem to stay away when I e.g. move objects on the terrain, add trees, save the scene etc.
Are those objects re-created immediately the moment you delete them, or is it more like they appear after a while back again, but it is unclear what triggers this?

Hi @Peter

I wanted to clean up the scene a bit to reduce the overhead. Deleting the runtime is not a good idea, yes (because I still need water and sky). Not sure about the FlyCam because it will delete my custom PlayerController every time I switch from FlyCam to CustomPlayer and back.

The question is more about understanding what's going on. I would assume that when I delete the tools, they won't be created. Or if they would - there must be a script which triggers this. So I deleted the runtime and everything Gaia related to see if it's still recreated (I assumed that Gaia runtime will trigger it). 

But both of them will be recreated (runtime + tools). The runtime almost immediately. The tools a few seconds later. So I wonder if there is a Editor script which triggers it.

• Solution

Hi @Thomas123 I did some more extensive testing with the info you provided and found that if you delete the runtime before the tools, they can indeed be restored immediately again. In my case this was due to the Gaia Scene View Tool bar

image.png

rendering the gizmos in the scene and therefore accessing the Terrain Loader Manager which then was recreated again. If the Gaia tools were deleted, this would remove the toolbar as well and then Gaia Runtime was not recreated again.

I cannot seem to recreate the case where Gaia Tools were recreated by itself. Are you familiar with scripting / debugging by any chance? If yes, could you please set a breakpoint at the line 4991 in GaiaUtils.cs (at the beginning of GetGaiaGameObject) and delete Gaia Tools from the scene hierarchy? This breakpoint would give you the moment where Gaia Tools is being re-created, by looking at the Call stack it should be possible to figure out where the request to create the Gaia Tools object again is coming from.

I am used to debugging but not yet in Unity. I will take a look how to get Visual Studio + Unity running in Debugging Mode. 🙂 

Just for priority. For me it's not required anymore, because I have to keep the runtime anyway (see one of your previous posts). But I am nosy. 🙂 Thanks for your explanations.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 2:59 PM, Thomas123 said:

I am used to debugging but not yet in Unity. I will take a look how to get Visual Studio + Unity running in Debugging Mode. 🙂 

If you selected to install visual studio along with the unity install (I believe that is the default option) then it should be as easy as opening the code file (Assets > Open C# project), setting a break point in the code and start debugging in VS. Then if you return to the unity editor it should start hitting those breakpoints when the code execution is at that spot.

If you are familiar with debugging it is worth checking out and testing if it is set up correctly, it can help you identify all kinds of Unity issues quickly.