Gaia Pro 2023 not working with other PW Tools

Thomas123

Gaia Pro 2023 does not seem to work with other PW Tools. I did the upgrade description as described here.

But the setup window won't popup because of errors from other PW tools / Scripts:
- Ambient Sounds
- GTS

Any help appreciated.

Bildschirmfoto-2023-09-22-um-17-24-05.pn

Found a solution for my GTS error at least. There is a leftover when deleting the Flora Folder of Gaia. The Scripting Define Symbol "FLORA_PRESENT" in Project Settings -> Player has to be removed as well. So the import will be skipped in GTS.

Still looking for the Ambient Sound errors.

Bildschirmfoto-2023-09-22-um-17-29-08.pn

Hi @Thomas123,

those errors do seem indeed like leftovers from an older Gaia version, you would need to clear the following scripting defines:

FLORA_PRESENT
GAIA_PRESENT
GAIA_2_PRESENT
GAIA_PRO_PRESENT

If they are present other applications "think" the older Gaia is still installed in the project. I will add this information to the migration guide.

It is strange though that the ambient sounds error is still present even though you removed everything, I will take a look.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Thomas123, I think I know what the Ambient sounds error might be: The error is pointing towards line 5 in the DemoPanelController.cs:

image.png

This namespace is defined by the code files found in the folder

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Ambient Sounds\Demo\Dependencies\Standard Assets\Characters\FirstPersonCharacter\Scripts

These scripts are derived from the older unity standard assets package and are used by many assets on the asset store. My suspicion is that another asset in your project also used those scripts, but has overridden the contents of those scripts and thus removes the UnityStandardAssets.Characters.FirstPerson namespace.

Can you please check if you have the script 

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Ambient Sounds\Demo\Dependencies\Standard Assets\Characters\FirstPersonCharacter\Scripts\FirstPersonController.cs

in your project and, when you open it, has this namespace definition on top of it?

image.png

My guess is that it reads something else in your project. In that case it should be able to get rid off this error by reimporting the Ambient Sounds package, this should restore the files in the state they are supposed to be.

• Thanks 1

@PeterThanks for your help.

For some reason this folder are missing (before and after migration):
`Assets\Procedural Worlds\Ambient Sounds\Demo\Dependencies`

So I reimported Ambient Sounds from Unity Store again and it was reinstalled. I wonder why the scripts did not throw an error before.

The 2nd script I cannot find and I have not idea how to get it. I guess I do not need it, because the error was already gone when fixing ambient sounds (reimporting).
`Assets\Characters\FirstPersonCharacter\Scripts\FirstPersonController.cs`

After reimporting Ambient Sounds, the safe mode was exited and the project recompiled. The last window in your instruction (step 6.) was not shown. In the menu Gaia was missing.

So I reimported Gaia 2023 again. After this the promised window showed up 🙂 Now the Setup window is installing everything. Takes some time.

I am off for today. Playing Assassins Creed Odyssey - I need a beach now. No idea why 😉 

Again. Thank you for your fast and precise help. Have a nice weekend.

• Like 1

@Peter

A few additional findings. Not sure if you want to add them to the migration guide as well. Or maybe you got a solution for others.

## Biome Spawners
I had multiple Gaia Tools added to my main scene. They need a differend handling each.

- Like Synty Biome Spawner. They did not work anymore - a message said, that this spawner (now) has no rules added to it yet. Deleting the biome spawners and adding them again with gaia, solved the problem.

- The Stamp tool showed a weird behavior. So I re-added it as well

- The new grass spawners have missing Desktop Prefabs (e.g. Gaia_SM_Env_Grass_Tuft_02). Not sure if it comes with Gaia or Synty Assets. Or from the PW Synty Fantasy Biome spawner. Doesn't matter for me, because I changed most of the spawners anyway.

## Other tools
- I did not delete the Session Manager because it still had my terrain history and seems to work

## Console Warnings

- Warning: OpenCL Error. Error callback from context: IntersectionApi::Commit failure: likely out of GPU resources. 
-> I am on a M1 Mac Ultra (64GB Ram), Ventura 13.5.2, Unity 22.3.9f1 (Metal)

Btw. the setup routine found some problems and fixes I wasn't aware of. Nice job! 🙂

## GeNa/Gaia problem?

GeNa spawners seem to work. But after a spawn, undo, spawn -> I got this behavior. @Peter How can I fix this? (Edit: deleting the shader cache in Library did not help).

Bildschirmfoto-2023-09-23-um-10-06-44.pn

@BryanRegarding to my question if GeNa works with Gaia 2023. It does spawn things 😄 

@Thomas123 thanks for the additional feedback from the migration process!

On 9/23/2023 at 10:10 AM, Thomas123 said:

## Biome Spawners
I had multiple Gaia Tools added to my main scene. They need a differend handling each.

- Like Synty Biome Spawner. They did not work anymore - a message said, that this spawner (now) has no rules added to it yet. Deleting the biome spawners and adding them again with gaia, solved the problem.

- The Stamp tool showed a weird behavior. So I re-added it as well

- The new grass spawners have missing Desktop Prefabs (e.g. Gaia_SM_Env_Grass_Tuft_02). Not sure if it comes with Gaia or Synty Assets. Or from the PW Synty Fantasy Biome spawner. Doesn't matter for me, because I changed most of the spawners anyway.

I would need to test the migration with the synty biome spawners, I would normally expect them to still work as the prefabs/ resources linked in there should still link to the assets with the same id after the new Gaia version was installed. 

Grass spawners missing their prefabs would be expected if they were running Flora before. The Tuft asset seems to come from synty, I checked and there was no asset in Gaia 2021 or 2023 named tuft, but it might be in the synty spawner.

On 9/23/2023 at 5:09 PM, Bryan said:

interesting I will have to look into that one a bit. 

It seems to be only related to synty roads. Spawned with GeNa road splines or GeNa Map Builder Roads. Disabling or deleting them will delete the weird artifacts as well.

On 9/23/2023 at 5:09 PM, Bryan said:

interesting I will have to look into that one a bit. 

Fixed it - in a way 😄 

I installed Microsplat for the terrain shaders and now I do not have these problems with Synty + Gaia/GeNa anymore.

Thank you for the update. 
We are in the process of going through all the assets and integration with the latest Gaia to ensure there are not any issues.