Invisible Water, but Underwater Is Visible

CatsPunch

Hi,

I'm using Gaia Pro 2021 in Unity 2021.3.29f1 LTS for a Mobile 3D core with Built-In Rendering with the Suntail add-on and in the editor the runtime looks great, but as soon as I click out of the create runtime area or play the game the water's surface is no longer visible (not working in Editor or Game). I haven't had any of these issues before and have followed all the tutorials so I'm not sure why this is happening. I have linear turned on, post processing v2 installed, and I haven't messed with any of the Gaia controls besides turning off the FlyCam since it was interfering with my character camera. I'd appreciate some help in getting my water visible again. 

Water after creating Runtime: 
image.thumb.png.f1907d6845566462bcfdd9ff5aaf0e54.png

After Play Water Not Visible (Standing next to an ocean):image.png.90b45c5722d5ad31221a1067056fa09e.png

After Play Water visible at close angles when inside the water:image.png.6abfdaf2bf2c4216c60e15074eff96e8.png 

Underwater shows up fine:
image.png.3022cb01ae481752abbacdcfb0e301d6.png

Hi Bryan, 

Hope you're having a great weekend and thank you for getting back to me!

I'm on Windows, Unity 2021.3.29f1 with the Built-In Render (Linear and Post Processing v2 have also been turned on). 

I have the same settings as you besides the 'Reflection Camera', which may be different because I'm using the Suntail Village add-on content. 
image.thumb.png.9201f86142af67e2756d16a878bc95e7.png

Hi  @CatsPunch, this is really an odd issue, normally if the water would not render at all I would suspect the graphics API, but if it is showing up in the beginning and then only disappears after leaving playmode, but then also is visible at certain angles, that is highly unusual.

When you do get that water showing, is it more stable but only rendered at a short range, like it is being cut off? Or does it only display at a certain viewing angle, and then when you move the camera it is immediately gone again?

When you select the Water Surface object, which layer is it on? Can you please select the Gaia Player game object and check if there is layer culling set up for this layer? (Any value greater than 0 would cull objects on this layer at this distance to the camera)

image.png

When you create a new empty scene in the project, and just create any terrain with the Gaia Manager, then create the runtime to add a water surface, do you experience the same issue in there as well?

• 7 months later...

I have Unity 2022 LTS and Gaia 2023 is it possible to have Ocean for VR? I am using the Meta Quest 3 and no matter what I do and what package I use all of them have problems with rendering in VR. anyone can help me or give me some hints?

You could but you need to be in single-pass. 
There are some water assets that support VR out there, but VR is very basic. 
I have seen people use the PW water in VR but you would need to modify the water shader to support it for your specifications.