Issue with masks

hellraiser
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hi, I have a question about masks. I want the texture to be applied at a height between 0 and 10m above sea level (basically on the shore only). I've added the settings to the noise mask, but I get this result. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

image.thumb.png.8c3360b8c1e566ad7577fefff6d26322.png

Here are the mask settings:
image.png.a3678c5afdbdda9c06444401004abdb5.png

What do you mean by spawning local?

When I spawn this I'd expect top have the mask covering the sand, starting from the sea level, for 10 meters. Instead it covers the whole area. I'm going to try and add a terrain filter for the sand only, but I guess it shouldn't be necessary.

The intention is to break texture repetition. Is there any other ways (besides shader modification) to obtain the same result?

Thanks

M

• Solution

Hi @hellraiser, I think the issue here is that the mask curve for the heightmap is "open-ended" - this means that the last value on the right side of the curve will be applied beyond the maximum height as well. If you want the mask to cut off at that point, you would need to bring the curve down to 0 again at the end:

image.png

This might seem a bit weird initially, but allows you to e.g. use the height mask to fade in a texture from 0 to 10 and still display it beyond that as well. If the mask had a hard cut off at the min and max values, this would not be possible then anymore with a single mask.

• Like 1