Significant oversight? Spawners lack "proportional random" scale option??

neurodr0me
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Speedtree trees don't play nice with proportional distortion. That means that scaling needs to be even. Can't have width 1.5 and height 1.3.

Nevermind speedtree, lots of meshes aren't going to look right with incorrect proportions.

Yet somehow there is not an option to keep proportion when randomizing scale on a Spawner. Huh?? I can only select fixed (all same size) or I am forced to accept proportional distortion.

This feels like a major oversight and obvious feature. What gives?

• Solution

Hi @neurodr0me,

the randomization should be proportional for all scaling methods already - e.g. for random, it will roll a float value between 0 and 1, which is then mapped against BOTH the possible width and height range to get the scale value. It does not re-roll between width and height  - or in other words, if it rolled a value that makes it land on the lower end of the width range, it will automatically be on the lower end of the height range as well.
You can then tune those ranges with what amount of distortion you find acceptable.
If absolutely no distortion may happen, then you can set the min max values for width and height to the same ranges, then both width and height should be equal within each tree (but different from other trees of course).

Ohh now I understand. Thanks for clearing that up, it's not totally clear from the interface. It turns out the problems with speedtree are more about URP than scaling anyways 😫