Built-In vs. URP?

najak

I've read about a dozen threads on the Unity forums so far by Unity veterans who are telling us that URP sucks -- it uses way more RAM and runs way slower.    My own quick test (1000 non-instanced simple dancing models) - produced the same result (FPS for built-in is 2.5x faster than URP).

So we're leaning towards developing our game with the Built-in pipeline entirely. 

I'd like to hear some opinions from others here on this topic.

So far, I haven't found any Unity officials even willing to acknowledge this proven (time and again) critical performance (memory and FPS) issues for URP out-of-box.  Their silence, to me, indicates that they don't have any answers to this problem yet (maybe ever?).

Its hard to say and really depends on you, and what you can achieve. 
You will need to do heavy optimization, in all pipelines for performance. 

I would say that recently, I have seen that URP and HDRP have been a lot better compared to the past. 
From the built-in side there is a lot you can do with it, remember that the original design of the built in render pipeline was meant to be really open to all sorts of use cases. 

I think URP is a solid pipeline for performance like I said if you can optimize it accordingly. 

I also think that you need to see what features comes with URP and if they are worth it to you.

That might be a good place to start, hopefully this helps!