World Creator + Gaia

oskarkogut

Hi. There's a designer in my team that prefers to use World Creator standalone application for for designing the terrain. This terrain can be imported into Unity. What I'm wondering about is - is there a way to just cut this terrain into tiles and make it available for the terrain loaders and gaia player culling.

@oskarkogut Please excuse the delayed response! You would need to cut up the world creator terrain into tiles somehow - if it is unity terrain, and you have SECTR, you could use the terrain splitting feature in SECTRs terrain window for that, or the Terrain Toolbox package from unity has a tool for splitting as well: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.terrain-tools@4.0/manual/toolbox-terrain-edit.html.
When you got it all split up, you would need to create a Gaia Terrain Loading setup with the same dimensions as your splits (e.g. if you have 4x4 splits at a sidelength of 512, you would need to create such a world from the Gaia Manager as well) and then throw out the terrains made by Gaia and put in your own terrains instead.
It might work as well to split up the terrains and open the Gaia Manager, and then act as if you would like to change the terrain setup to a terrain loading one. It is possible to open the Gaia Manager, and change from a terrain loading to a non-loading setup. I have not tested this yet with terrains made outside of Gaia though, so tread with care and backup your project before trying with production data.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 6:02 AM, oskarkogut said:

Hi. There's a designer in my team that prefers to use World Creator standalone application for for designing the terrain. This terrain can be imported into Unity. What I'm wondering about is - is there a way to just cut this terrain into tiles and make it available for the terrain loaders and gaia player culling.

One idea you could do is, take the terrain from world creator and import it into Unity mesh or terrain doesnt matter. 
Then you can use the scanner tool (Gaia Manager - Advanced - Gaia Tools - Scanner. 
Then drop the mesh or terrain into the Gaia Scanner and scan it. 

This will turn it into a .exr file that you can use in the stamper. 
Then you can create the world size that you prefer and enable world streaming etc. 
Stamp out the terrain with the created exr file. 

Then you can continue development. 

This might be the solution for you.