Non square world in World Designer

jorikito

In the Gaia manager I can have different tile sizes for 2 axis, when the World Designer gets created in the scene, this feature seems to be gone, see screenshot. How do I do this in World Designer?

image.png.7e09aa532b247ada6d6b59712cbe0117.png

image.png.ac8fb38b153e68cd20d9382d2971f846.png

Jorik

@jorikito Two things as a hopefully quick response to your question while I do some weekend work and wait for unity to finish thinking:

Terrain Tile Sizes

First - the create world panel you initially reference doesn't change the size of tiles on the z/x axis it just increases the count of tiles (read as number of terrains going either east/west or north/south).

In your case you would have 12 columns of terrain tiles with 6 rows each and would be fairly rectangular in nature.

Your terrain tile size is selected via the drop down in both screenshots that is labeled "terrain size" - currently set to 512 units wide which is also your terrain tile height (separate setting also gleaned from your screenshot).

I am not trying to be pedantic in pointing this out but rather help you learn Gaia and use the correct 'lingo' or terminology to get the desired effect you want or the help you need from the community / PW staff.

World Designer Quirks to understand

I might be wrong (and please correct me if I am PW!) but AFAIK at the moment World Designer only creates square terrain tile arrays.

The number you enter is the amount / count of tiles created for both the X / Y axis.

So anytime you create a 'World' (in this situation referring to a collection of terrain tile scenes) using the World Designer - you will end up with a square 'world'.

IMHO I would forget about the extra terrain tiles for the moment and focus on creating the same world you had before or something similar (likely better!).

Once you are done crafting the world you can always eliminate unused terrain tiles tho you might find a 'square world' (again irregardless of the terrain itself) is a bit more natural of a 'play space' for your players and gives you 'room to grow'.

That's my two cents. Stay safe out there!

• Like 1

Hi @designleviathan thanks for your reply!

First of all, I apologize for the confusion, I was actually talking about the tile array size, I shouldn't have called it tile size!

It's a shame World Designer does not support non square worlds at the moment, if this is the case, but it's not a show stopper. As you said I could just remove or add terrains after creating the starting point! 🙂

Also are you talking about the terrain I posted on here a while back? This was for practicing, I've recently began working on scenes again! World designing can be so much fun!

Take care,

Jorik

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 4:43 PM, jorikito said:

It's a shame World Designer does not support non square worlds at the moment, if this is the case, but it's not a show stopper. As you said I could just remove or add terrains after creating the starting point! 🙂

We have been exploring this, but at the end of the day Gaia still uses the standard Unity terrain system. 
We just add all Gaia's systems to it.