Errors Generating World

Drostvorn

Hi all! Thanks in advance for any info or recommendations!

I just purchased Gaia Pro 2021 v3.2.2 and am trying to setup a project in Unity 2021.3.1f1.

When trying to Generate World (exporting terrains) I get the following Error (appx 400 times)

• Graphics.CopyTexture called with negative region size (width on cpu -1022, on gpu 1 ; height on cpu 1025, on gpu 1025) .
    UnityEngine.TerrainData:CopyActiveRenderTextureToTexture (string,int,UnityEngine.RectInt,UnityEngine.Vector2Int,bool)
    Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation:SetSplatmap (UnityEngine.RenderTexture,Gaia.Spawner,Gaia.SpawnRule,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/MultiTerrainSystem/GaiaMultiTerrainOperation.cs:642)
    Gaia.Spawner:ExecuteSpawn (Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation,Gaia.BakedMaskCache,int,int&,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:2732)
    Gaia.Spawner/<AreaSpawn>d__217:MoveNext () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:2344)
    Gaia.Spawner:EditorUpdate () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:1009)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

I also get about the same number of the following Warning:

• exture spawning on terrain 'Terrain_3_9-20220429 - 194635' out of bounds of the splatmap texture! Texture spawning will be skipped.
    Debug Info:
    Min x: 2048
    Min y: -7163
    Width:-1022
    Height:-7163
    Alphamap Resolution:2048
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object)
    Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation:SetSplatmap (UnityEngine.RenderTexture,Gaia.Spawner,Gaia.SpawnRule,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/MultiTerrainSystem/GaiaMultiTerrainOperation.cs:572)
    Gaia.Spawner:ExecuteSpawn (Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation,Gaia.BakedMaskCache,int,int&,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:2732)
    Gaia.Spawner/<AreaSpawn>d__217:MoveNext () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:2344)
    Gaia.Spawner:EditorUpdate () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:1009)

Some details:

• Gaia Pro 2021 v3.2.2
  • Unity 2021.3.1f1
  • Fresh project created with HDRP empty scene template
  • 1. Setup Project
    • Converted to HDRP
    • Installed HD shaders
    • Answered Yes to the various popups

image.thumb.png.2e1f0dff27bdbf45c44c1295ecc763f7.png

image.thumb.png.d2c63ba5e08de485dc9c7cdab68e93fa.png

Edited by Drostvorn
Added info

• Drostvorn changed the title to Errors Generating World
  • 6 months later...

I have run into the same issue. How did you solve this?

Also, my world is only very partially being generated (4 out of the 100 terrains....)

Okay, this morning I did some testing on this. Here's the result (also posted in the Discord: 2x2 terrain with a tilesize of 2048, 4x4 terrain with 2048 tilesize). Thought I'd be complete here as well 🙂
This is all ONLY world generation. No biomes and spawners yet. All with default Meadow biome setting. Gaia Pro 2021 3.3.1 (canopy version) loaded in an empty Unity 2021.3.14f1 HDRP (3d Core) project
I'm on a  windows11 laptop (latest Windows 11 version) with (if that makes a difference):
-AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics, 3.30 GHz
- 32GB RAM
- Nvidia RTX3080 Laptop

1x1 terrain
The result is what you expect. Just a normal generation, no problem.

2x2 terrain

This is where things seem to start to get wonky a bit:
I get the same yellow warning for 2 terrains:

Main Object Name 'SplatAlpha 1' does not match filename 'Terrain_0_0-20221127 - 080435'
UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
Gaia.GaiaSessionManager:CreateOrUpdateWorld (Gaia.WorldCreationSettings,bool,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:3599)
Gaia.SpawnerEditor:StartExport () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/SpawnerEditor.cs:3220)
Gaia.SpawnerEditor:DrawWorldDesignerSpawnControls () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/SpawnerEditor.cs:3916)
Gaia.SpawnerEditor:OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/SpawnerEditor.cs:1625)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

The world does get fully generated though.

4x4 terrain
This is where things really turn sour.

Red warning:

Graphics.CopyTexture called with negative region size (width on cpu 1025, on gpu 1025 ; height on cpu -1022, on gpu 1) .
UnityEngine.TerrainData:CopyActiveRenderTextureToTexture (string,int,UnityEngine.RectInt,UnityEngine.Vector2Int,bool)
Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation:SetSplatmap (UnityEngine.RenderTexture,Gaia.Spawner,Gaia.SpawnRule,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/MultiTerrainSystem/GaiaMultiTerrainOperation.cs:647)

Yellow warning 1:

Main Object Name 'SplatAlpha 1' does not match filename 'Terrain_1_1-20221127 - 082305'
Gaia.GaiaSessionManager:CreateOrUpdateWorld (Gaia.WorldCreationSettings,bool,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:3599)
Gaia.SpawnerEditor:StartExport () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/SpawnerEditor.cs:3220)
Gaia.SpawnerEditor:DrawWorldDesignerSpawnControls () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/SpawnerEditor.cs:3916)
Gaia.SpawnerEditor:OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/SpawnerEditor.cs:1625)

Yellow warning 2:

A meta data file (.meta) exists but its asset 'Assets/Gaia User Data/Sessions/GS-20221127 - 080046/TerrainScenes.asset' can't be found. When moving or deleting files outside of Unity, please ensure that the corresponding .meta file is moved or deleted along with it.

Yellow warning 3 about the texture spawning (multiple times):

Texture spawning on terrain 'Terrain_1_3-20221127 - 084355' out of bounds of the splatmap texture! Texture spawning will be skipped.
Debug Info:
Min x: 1023
Min y: -1022
Width:1025
Height:-1022
Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation:SetSplatmap (UnityEngine.RenderTexture,Gaia.Spawner,Gaia.SpawnRule,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/MultiTerrainSystem/GaiaMultiTerrainOperation.cs:577)

The result of the terrain generation is in this picture:

GaiaPro2021WorldGenerationproblem.png

Normally I would probably ignore yellow warnings if they don't seem to interfere with what I'm trying to achieve, but these seem to be more a reddish yellow/red warning, instead of a yellow warning since in the end the terrains for which I get this warning, are not finally generated. I see the genereation actually happening, but they don't stick. With the next terrain generation, the terrain disappears just as quickly, both from the view and from the hierarchy.

Okay, did some more testing. I suddenly realized something possibly relating to the actual square kilometres that are supposed to be generated:
I set the world to:
4 columns/rows, which makes 16 terrain tiles, correct?
Each tile is 2km2 (roughly) big.
16 x 2 = 32km2 Correct?
However, the world designer says:
8km2.

THAT matches up with the actual 4 terrains that are being shown...... After all 4x2=8

Thoughts kept wondering.... I did some testing:
World designer set to 1 tile of 2048km2
Once world designer is created, it says indeed I have a 2.05km sq

Gaia1.png

HOWEVER.... When I then change the amount of tiles to 2
So... 2 tiles columns/rows, which is 4 tiles in total.
Keeping the size of the tiles at 2 km2.
I should get 4x2km2 = 8km2
World designer says...
....4km2

gaia2.png

If I set the tile size to 1024m2 the world designer says I have 2km2.

Just to be sure, I made a new scene and did a new world designer creation. This time with tile size 1024 from the start.
1 tile per row/column gives the expect result: 1 km2 world/biome size.
The moment I change that to 2, guess what.....
2km2.... Should be 4, I think.... 4 terrain tiles of 1024 meters sq = 4km2 (roughly).

gaia3.png

Oh, I tried out the world generation with 3 tiles per row/column. That is generated correctly, or at least 9 tiles are shown.

The system says the 3 tiles (1024m2) per row/column do make 9 terrains.
But with a total of 3km2 instead of... 9km2?

ETA:

I've done some more testing:
Okay..... Done some more testing. I was wondering if the world would be properly generated with 1024m2 tile size and 4 tiles per /row/column.
It does NOT. But.... it ALSO does NOT show ANY errors nor warnings.... Now I'm utterly confused.

So... somewhere between 3 tiles per row/column and 4 tiles per row/column things go haywire and for some weird reason a tile size of 1024m2 does NOT give any errors......
Here's the generated world with 4 tiles of 1024m2:

gaia4.png

As you can see there should be 16 terrains, however there are only 4. The missing ones are automatically showing in purple.

7 hours ago, KingfisherWyvernStudio said:

Oh, I tried out the world generation with 3 tiles per row/column. That is generated correctly, or at least 9 tiles are shown.

This is correct if you input 3 it would do a 3x3 and whatever the size is 1024 or 2048. 
Looking at this picture not all the terrains are loaded as well. 

You would want to go to the terrain loading manager and then Load all the terrains into the scene. 
Something this small you should be fine depending on hardware. 

The two options in the Gaia Manager: 
Create terrain scenes 
Unload Terrain Scenes. 

These options are using depending on your world size. 

Unity struggles with large world creation and pc specs can affect this as well. 
By default these are enabled passed a certain world size. 
However, you can load these in by the terrain manager. 
The biome and stamper will effect those that are loaded in or if changed in the terrain loading managers. 

Editor Always, Editor Selected, etc. 

Again something this small you could load them all in and then spawn the biome to world. 

The way to tell if the world is unloaded is by looking at the Hierarchy: 
image.png

These are unloaded.

The scenes should always show up but the terrain will not unless loaded in. 

As far as these errors are concerned I will look into them with the team. 

Hi @KingfisherWyvernStudio, I had a look at this thread as well. Regarding the errors, are you able to produce those consistently? From looking at the error messages it looks like the terrain data of the terrains was corrupted which lead to incorrect calculations when applying the heightmap / splatmap data. I tried to reproduce this by creating a 4 x 4 2048 sized world, but this went through without problems.

The size information in the world designer refers to the side length of the world. So 5 kilometers squared would mean "a world with a side length of 5 kilometers", resulting in an area of 25 square kilometers. 

The reason to put it this way is that it is usually easier to think about distances in your world this way (e.g.: "If I put a city in the center I would have 2.5 kilometers in each direction until I hit the borders of the map")

The issue of only the center terrains showing up in a larger world has to do with terrain loading as outlined by brian - when creating 3 by 3 terrains or larger the world designer automatically activates the setting for terrain loading and creates separate scenes for the terrains which can be loaded individually. The reason for this is that large worlds can easily become too demanding even for powerful machines to be loaded it all at once at the same time, especially when the terrains are populated with assets. You can find more information about terrain loading in this article: 
https://canopy.procedural-worlds.com/library/tools/gaia-pro-2021/written-articles/creating_runtime/2-terrain-loading-streaming-in-gaia-pro-gaia-pro-2021-r64/

17 hours ago, Bryan said:

This is correct if you input 3 it would do a 3x3 and whatever the size is 1024 or 2048. 

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

The size information in the world designer refers to the side length of the world. So 5 kilometers squared would mean "a world with a side length of 5 kilometers", resulting in an area of 25 square kilometers. 
The reason to put it this way is that it is usually easier to think about distances in your world this way (e.g.: "If I put a city in the center I would have 2.5 kilometers in each direction until I hit the borders of the map")

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

The issue of only the center terrains showing up in a larger world has to do with terrain loading as outlined by brian - when creating 3 by 3 terrains or larger the world designer automatically activates the setting for terrain loading and creates separate scenes for the terrains which can be loaded individually. The reason for this is that large worlds can easily become too demanding even for powerful machines to be loaded it all at once at the same time, especially when the terrains are populated with assets. You can find more information about terrain loading in this article: 

Ah, okay, with the explanation of the both you, this now makes sense in a way. Still... I think the information portrayed is/can be confusing. Like I showed in the earlier picture the world designer says

World Size and Biome - 2.05 km sq, terrains 2

This to me suggests that the world size is 2.05 square kilometres instead of either 4 square kilometres or a length of 2 kilometres (NOT being square).

At least now I know and I'll keep it in  mind 😄

Looking at this picture not all the terrains are loaded as well. 

You would want to go to the terrain loading manager and then Load all the terrains into the scene.

That was indeed my problem. But that might also have been a point of misunderstanding. I had expected these non-loaded subscenes to be in the hierarchy, but grayed out. I looked for the loading manager per your suggestion, and now I found it and the 4x4 terrain is now properly shown 🙂
Glad that's sorted out 😄

That was also my expectation, especially since, from what I understand, at least last year, my laptop belonged to the 1% top gaming laptops. Here are the specs as listed in the system information that Gaia system information pulls up:

Gaia Version: 3.3.1 PRO

Unity Info:
Unity Version: 2021.3.14f1
Company Name: DefaultCompany
Product Name: CanopyToolsTest
Project Version: 0.1.0
Project Data Path: D:/Testprojects/CanopyToolsTest/Assets
Render Pipeline: High Definition

System Info:
Operating System: Windows 11  (10.0.22621) 64bit
Supports Compute Shaders: Yes
Supports GPU Instancing: Yes
Supports Ray Tracing: No
Supports Async Compute: No
Supports GPU Async Compute: Yes
Supports Texture Streaming: Yes

Graphics Info:
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA
Graphics Card Name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
Graphics Card Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
Graphics Driver Version: Direct3D11
Graphics Card Memory: 16191 MB

Processor Info:
Processor Name: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics
Processor Core Count: 16
Processor Speed: 3294 GHz

Memory Info:
Memory (RAM): 32620 MB

I have to say I haven't activated the special gaming settings yet, since all games I have currently on my laptop (all MMORPG's that can ask quite a lot) all run perfectly fine without a glitch.

Could it be that it's related to the Auto graphics API for Windows setting in player settings? It is currently set to Direct3D11 (which is what my graphics card has)?

Again something this small you could load them all in and then spawn the biome to world. 

😄 😄 I hadn't gotten to the point of the biome and spawners, because of it all 😄
In the tests I hadn't even changed anything in the created world designer, so the world created is... flat with nothing in it 😄

These are unloaded.

The image was unfortunately way to small for me to see.
Before looking at the loading manager, I had only 4 terrains in the hierarchy window. Those were the ones listed in the image in the other post. The highlighted objected show nothing in the inspector, while the things under it are the actual terrains that were loaded in the scene.
The rest of the terrain scenes didn't show up in the hierarchy. They only showed up in the hierarchy when I loaded them all through the terrain loader manager.

40 minutes ago, Peter said:

I had a look at this thread as well. Regarding the errors, are you able to produce those consistently? From looking at the error messages it looks like the terrain data of the terrains was corrupted which lead to incorrect calculations when applying the heightmap / splatmap data. I tried to reproduce this by creating a 4 x 4 2048 sized world, but this went through without problems.

Let me test it again in another completely new project. The above tests (1 terrain, 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4) were all done in a new project, while the first time I ran into this problem was in an existing project and I had the same errors. But that was for a much larger terrain (like the OP posted)

I'll get back to this when I have set up a new project.

Just to check, when generating the world (4x4 with 2048 km sq), I get asked these questions:

With this one I say yes.

Gaia5.png

And here I also say yes.

Gaia6.png

ETA: Also, in the terrain loader manager I noticed a setting for Memory allocated for terrain caching. At the moment it's set to 4GB of the 32GB. I assume that's why so little of the terrain is initially shown.

I have now made a terrain of 4x4 with 2048km2 per tile which went well. Absolutely NO errors. When I set the terrain loader to show all, the allocated field gets red, because it's just shy over 4GB....

Okay, I've kept playing around, made several new projects, I might have found something......

Steps:

1. Create new 3D Core HDRP project

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer: 4x4 with 2048 m2 tiles

4. Generate world without changing anything in the shape settings

5. Go back to world designer

6. Adjust shape settings

7. Generate world

8. Go back to world designer

9. Change world size to 2x2 (2048m2)

10. Randomize stamp, clear old ones

11. Generate world

12. Go back to world designer

13.  Change world size to 3x3 (2048m2)

14. Randomize stamps, clear old ones

15. Generate world

16: Get yellow warning

Main Object Name 'SplatAlpha 1' does not match filename 'Terrain_0_1-20221128 - 152237'

The world does get generated. The above named terrain isn't there anymore.

17. Go back to world designer

18. Change world size to 4x4 (2048m2) (clear stamps)

19. Randomize stamps

20. Generate world

21. world gets generated without a problem.

22. Go back to world designer

23. Change world size to 5x5, keep stamps

24. In world detail get message to spawn the stamps again to adept to the new target size (I couldn't find an option to spawn the stamps again, only to randomize the stamps. IIRC I did see the option once, but I can't seem to find it back).

25. Generate world, ignoring the message from point 24.

26. Go back to world designer

27. Change world size to 10x10 (2048m2) (clear stamps)

28. Adjust shape settings (including details)

29. Randomize stamps until I find something I like.

30. Generate world. (no biome nor spawners yet)

31. Be met with LOADS of errors and warnings:

9 Red warnings.

Graphics.CopyTexture called with negative region size (width on cpu -1022, on gpu 1 ; height on cpu -7163, on gpu 1) .
Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation:SetSplatmap (UnityEngine.RenderTexture,Gaia.Spawner,Gaia.SpawnRule,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/MultiTerrainSystem/GaiaMultiTerrainOperation.cs:647)

These all basically say the same but with differen values for cpu. Only two differences for GPU: 1 and 1025

53 yellow warnings

1x

A meta data file (.meta) exists but its asset 'Assets/Gaia User Data/Sessions/GS-20221128 - 150206/TerrainScenes.asset' can't be found. When moving or deleting files outside of Unity, please ensure that the corresponding .meta file is moved or deleted along with it.

52x

Texture spawning on terrain 'Terrain_3_6-20221128 - 160321' out of bounds of the splatmap texture! Texture spawning will be skipped.
Debug Info:
Min x: 2048
Width:-1022
Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation:SetSplatmap (UnityEngine.RenderTexture,Gaia.Spawner,Gaia.SpawnRule,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/MultiTerrainSystem/GaiaMultiTerrainOperation.cs:577)

I'll see if I can reproduce this with a clear new project and directly going for 10x10 (2048m2) tiles.

With the terrain loader I was able to load all the terrain (needed half my RAM), but......

This is what the terrain looks like.

Gaia7.png

Okay, new test in a brand spanking new project, 10x10 (2048m2).
First run, no problems at all.

After going to the world designer and changing some things without clearing the stamps first, I think I get the meta-file warning and the splatmap warning.

I will test that again tomorrow on a smaller scale (1 tile, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, etc in a brand new project) and see if it happens then again.

Okay first test today.

1. Create new empty 3D HDRP project\

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 1x1 (2048m2)

4. Generate world, no problems

6. Adjust height scale in World Shape, Being asked to keep KEEP STAMPS: say yes.

7. Generate world, get yellow warning (world DOES get generated):

Main Object Name 'SplatAlpha 1' does not match filename 'Terrain_0_0-20221129 - 105528'

Second Test

1. Create new empty 3D HDRP project

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 2x2 (2048m2)

6. Adjust height scale in World Shape, Not being asked to keep stamps or not....

7. Generate world, Get same yellow warning as above, world does get generated. (NO randomization of stamps, or clear stamps, or whatever, just generate world)

Third test

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 3x3 (2048m2)

6. Adjust height scale in World Shape, Not being asked to keep stamps or not....

7. Generate world, no problems.

4th test

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 4x4 (2048m2)

5. Terrain loader manager: load all terrains

6. Go back to world designer

7. Adjust height scale, base height and a few other things in World Shape, Not being asked to keep stamps or not....

8. Generate world, no problems.

5th test

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 1x1 (2048m2)

4. Formed with details is already there. I haven't done anything to get a formed terrain preview. I was expecting a flat base terrain preview.

5. Adjust base height.

6. Get question to clear stamps or not

7. Do NOT clear stamps

8. Generate world, no problems

9. Go back to world designer

10. Adjust strength in World Shape, Being asked to keep KEEP STAMPS: say yes.

11. Generate world, get yellow warning (world DOES get generated), same as in test 1

I haven't had the red warnings again, nor the texture/cpu/gpu thing yet, but I think I may have an idea..... I'll do some more testing tomorrow.

Hi @KingfisherWyvernStudio, thank you for your detailed investigations and steps to reproduce the issues! With the new information I was able to reproduce the yellow warnings that you were seeing, and have some more insights into them:

The warning only appears in newer Unity versions. At a certain point unity started to display warnings when the (programmatical) name of an object is different than its filename in the project hierarchy. The yellow warning you see is such a warning and is referring to the previously (!) created terrain in the scene. It complains that the sub-object of splatmap data (The information about which texture appears where on the terrain) has a different name than the overall filename of the object:

2022-11-30 00_54_26-Window.jpg

This warning makes little to no sense in this context, the naming of Splatmap data is done by unity itself and is per unity standard, there is no way for us to influence this even if we wanted to.
Since this is just a warning and referring to the older terrain data anyways, it should be safe to ignore this warning when you see it during generation. You can avoid it by manually deleting the terrain from the scene and deleting the terrain data file from the terrain data folder in your session before generating the next world. 
We will look into finding a workaround for this warning for the next Gaia update. We could in theory also delete the terrain data object, however this might be dangerous if the user uses this terrain already in a different scene which relies on the terrain data then.

Thanks again for investigating, and let us know if you can reproduce the red error, I fear that one might be more severe as it has a chance to influence the output from the world designer.

20 hours ago, Peter said:

Since this is just a warning and referring to the older terrain data anyways, it should be safe to ignore this warning when you see it during generation.

Ah, good to see confirmed I can indeed ignore these warnings. Normally I indeed tend to ignore yellow warnings as long as everything stills functions as expected 😄

20 hours ago, Peter said:

Thanks again for investigating, and let us know if you can reproduce the red error, I fear that one might be more severe as it has a chance to influence the output from the world designer.

I've done some more testing and here are the results 🙂

Again:

This is all ONLY world generation. No biomes and spawners yet. All with default Meadow biome setting.
- Gaia Pro 2021 3.3.1 (canopy version) loaded in an empty Unity 2021.3.14f1 HDRP (3d Core) project
Specs are in a previous post 🙂

Test 1

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 1x1 (2048m2) (already automatically gives a stamp)

4. Adjust Base height settings in world shape. Get question to change stamps (highly recommended): Keep stamps

5. Adjust several settings in World Detail

6. Generate world, no problems

7. Go back to world designer.

8. Adjust settings in World Shape, Being asked to keep KEEP STAMPS: say yes, keep stamps.

9. Generate world, no problems.

Test 2:

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021, save scene before HDRP piopeline GAIA install

3. Create world designer 1x1 (2048m2) (already automatically gives a stamp)

4. Adjust Base height settings in world shape. Get question to change stamps (highly recommended): CLEAR stamps

5. Adjust several settings in World Detail

6. Randomize stamp

7. Generate world, No problem

7. Go back to world designer

8. Adjust settings in World Shape, Being asked to keep KEEP STAMPS: say yes, keep stamps.

9. Change world details

10. Generate world, no problems.

Test 3

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 4x4 (2048m2)

4. Adjust Base height settings in world shape. Get question to change stamps (highly recommended): Keep stamps

5. Adjust several settings in World Detail and sea level in world designer if necessary.

9. Adjust settings in world details.

10. Generate world and get yellow and RED warnings! 9 out of 16 terrains are in the hierarchy, with 5 terrains greyed out and 7 are not showing up. Some terrains appearing active (4), some terrains appearing, but greyed out (5, those are not loaded, which is at this point correct) and some terrain simply not appearing in the hierarchy (7 are completely missing in the hierarchy), doesn't seem logical to me.

Gaia10.png

Loader manager says I've got 3207 out 32620 memory in use and it's under the 4GB treshold.

See the resulting terrain

Gaia11.png

11. Show loader manager

12. Load all terrains. Now ALL 16 terrains show up in the hierarchy. See below for the resulting terrain. Here you can also see that one terrain seems to be missing ALL data, including the height of the terrain base.

Gaia12.png

Memory use is now 4317, just a tad bit over the 4GB default treshold

This time I'm getting different yellow warnings, so I thought I'd list them just to be complete.

Yellow warning 1

A meta data file (.meta) exists but its asset 'Assets/Gaia User Data/Sessions/GS-20221130 - 191108/TerrainScenes.asset' can't be found. When moving or deleting files outside of Unity, please ensure that the corresponding .meta file is moved or deleted along with it.

Since this terrain doesn't anymore I assume this warning can be safely ignored. But since its different from the Splatmap thing, I thought I'd list it anyway.

Yellow warning 2 (5x)

Texture spawning on terrain 'Terrain_2_3-20221130 - 192521' out of bounds of the splatmap texture! Texture spawning will be skipped.
Debug Info:
Min x: 0
Width:1025

I listed this warning, because not all loaded terrains are showing up properly or at all, as you can see in step 10. So, although it's listed as a yellow warning, with the result, it seems like a breaking error instead. These 5 warnings are for 5 of the terrains that initially don't show up in the hierarchy.

The terrain that actually doesn't have any information is not in any of the yellow warnings. Seeeing that it's entirely missing its data, but showing up in the hierarchy as an active but empty terrain, I would have expected AT LEAST a yellow warning, if not a red one.

Red warning (1x)

Graphics.CopyTexture called with negative region size (width on cpu 1025, on gpu 1025 ; height on cpu -1022, on gpu 1) .

I'll test this with a 3x3 terrain as well.

Test 4

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 3x3 (2048m2)

4. Adjust Base height and other settings as desired in world shape. Get question to change stamps (highly recommended): Keep stamps

5. Adjust several settings in World Detail and sea level in world designer if necessary.

6. Generate world, NEW yellow warnings, 1 terrain is loaded and active but has no data at all (like above)

Okay... I did NOT see this one coming in a brand-spanking new project with a newly generated world where I have not gone back to the world designer yet (and the old, default outdoor scene didn't have any terrain yet).....

Yellow warning 1:

A meta data file (.meta) exists but its asset 'Assets/Gaia User Data/Sessions/GS-20221130 - 205855/TerrainScenes.asset' can't be found. When moving or deleting files outside of Unity, please ensure that the corresponding .meta file is moved or deleted along with it.

Again, no terrain had been formed prior to the generate world from this step.

Yellow warning 2:

Cross scene references are not supported: 'Session Stamper' in scene OutdoorsScene has an invalid reference to 'Terrain_0_0-20221130 - 210615' in scene Terrain_0_0-20221130 - 210615. This reference will not be saved in the scene.
UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager:SaveScene (UnityEngine.SceneManagement.Scene)
Gaia.GaiaSessionManager/<ExecuteCreateWorld>d__172:MoveNext () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:4250)
Gaia.GaiaSessionManager:EditorUpdate () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:899)

Yellow warning 3 (never seen this one before either):

'Terrain_0_0-20221130 - 210615' in scene Terrain_0_0-20221130 - 210615 (click to ping it)
UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager:SaveScene (UnityEngine.SceneManagement.Scene)
Gaia.GaiaSessionManager/<ExecuteCreateWorld>d__172:MoveNext () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:4250)
Gaia.GaiaSessionManager:EditorUpdate () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:899)

9. Adjust settings in world details. and adjust sea level in eorld designer if necessary

10. Generate world, no problems.....

Test 5

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 2x2 (2048m2) (already automatically gives a stamp)

10. Generate world, no problems.

Hello @KingfisherWyvernStudio, thanks again for this fresh set of tests regarding this issue. I did specifically focus on the Test 3 since this was the one to produce the red errors which subsequently resulted in a broken world with missing height / texturing data. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the same error messages that you are getting, even when going back and forth between the world designer multiple times to regenerate at larger sizes as well (10 x 10 @2048 for example). 
The warnings and the error message indicates that there is something happening inbetween that throws off the calculations for the affected area on the terrain - it states that the height of the operation would be "-1022" which does not make sense in this context, the height should be a positive value and during the terrain generation it should be aligned perfectly with the terrain and therefore should be 2048. I currently do not know what might cause these calculations to be off. This error seems to be related to world size as it only seems to appear on sizes of 4x4 and higher, however your 4th test from tuesday was to generate 4x4 @2048 twice and it did not show the issue, so it does not seem to show every time.

Since the error only appears on the second generation run, I would suggest as a workaround to create a new scene from the file menu in the editor to generate a new world instead of going back into the world designer in the same scene and override the previous result (which then might result in that error). I know this is not an actual fix for the problem, but this should allow you to generate a new world for the next project at least.

The other warnings that occured during the tests are of similar nature than the previous one we discussed and can be ignored as well.

A bit of additional info on the load state of the terrains and the cache size: It can be correct that you will not see terrains listed in the scene hierarchy AT ALL if they are fully unloaded. The entries that you see there are separate unity scenes which can be loaded additionally to the main scene. A terrain scene can have 3 states:

Loaded (where it is fully loaded as additional scene and the object is active and being rendered):
image.png

Cached: The scene is still loaded, but the terrain object in it is deactivated. This saves time / performance when the terrain is needed again, as it can just be activated again. If e.g. the player goes back and forward between two terrains this can be quicker than fully unloading and loading everything each time. The terrain does not add to the rendering cost while deactivated, but will use up memory (along with all the contents of it). Note the lighter gray font to indicate that the terrains are deactivated:

image.png

Unloaded:
The terrain scene is fully unloaded and will therefore also not be displayed in the scene hierarchy anymore. You can find a list of all loadable terrains in the Terrain Loader Manager

image.png

How the cache memory threshold plays into this is as follows: If there is less memory allocated by the application than the threshold, Gaia will try to cache terrains instead of fully unloading them. There is also setting in the Terrain Loader Manager called "Keep Terrains for X seconds" that determines how long a terrain will be hold in cache until it fully unloads (freeing up memory to potentially cache more recent terrains.

image.png

When the "memory allocated" display turns red, that is not an error or hitting a hard limit where things will not function anymore, but rather a sign that there will be no terrains cached anymore until memory usage goes down. You can increase the cache memory threshold to allow more terrains being cached which will result in your game / app using more memory in total.

Hi @Peter

Thanks for looking into this more.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the same error messages that you are getting, even when going back and forth between the world designer multiple times to regenerate at larger sizes as well (10 x 10 @2048 for example). 

It's really weird. I'm beginning to think there's something I overlook as a step or something on my side.
I've just tried the same test again like you did. Switching between 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10. With the last generation of the world at 10x10 (2048m2) I now got lots of yellow warnings, but also 20 of the same red warning. Indeed again region size, width and height on CPU and GPU.
Is it possible this is caused by the Auto Graphics API settings for windows (in all tests set to the default direct3D11).

Also, what I just thought of: could a problem with version control somehow be influencing this? I currently have this problem in an empty project. After clearing the console of that particular red warning, I get it again when I install Gaia and don't save the default scene during the installation.

I have sent the Plastic log file to Unity in the forums.
I have no idea if it even can influence this in any way, but it's something I just thought of.

Is there a possibility this can be caused by the memory on my graphics card?
Just thinking of any options here 😄

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Since the error only appears on the second generation run, I would suggest as a workaround to create a new scene from the file menu in the editor to generate a new world instead of going back into the world designer in the same scene and override the previous result (which then might result in that error). I know this is not an actual fix for the problem, but this should allow you to generate a new world for the next project at least.

I will do that cause I really want to get this project started further. 🙂
I will also run some more tests to see if I can further pinpoint the issue.

I'll reply to the rest once I'm back home in an hour or so.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Okay, I'm back home again 🙂

2 hours ago, Peter said:

On my way back home I wondered if I could also add terrains with this method. I will test it out with making small terrains and then add terrains to it. That might also be a work around. That way, I assume at least, I can keep the terrains in the terrain loaders, instead of having to go to a new scene.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

A bit of additional info on the load state of the terrains and the cache size: It can be correct that you will not see terrains listed in the scene hierarchy AT ALL if they are fully unloaded. The entries that you see there are separate unity scenes which can be loaded additionally to the main scene. A terrain scene can have 3 states:

Thanks for the thorough explanation of the way the terrain loader works. That does explain a lot.

Before I start making terrains in my smaller MORPG, I'll first test the addition of terrains and see if that works properly. If it does, I don't need to worry about transferring data over the network to the next scene 😄

I will of course keep you posted on all the tests.

• Like 1

New day, new chances 😄

Okay, this morning I woke up with the idea it was somehow related to the stamps, so.... I tried something..

Same hardware and software settings still apply. I did NOT update Unity to the new version from today.

Test 1

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 1x1 (2048m2) with Terrain terrain scenes, etc (I know, not needed, but just testing out something), NO STAMP IS BEING CREATED upfront. Normally on the 1x1 worlds, I'm already being presented with a terrain WITH a stamp.

4. Adjust Base height settings in world shape. No question to keep stamp.

8. Adjust settings in World Shape

10. Generate world, no problems

11. Go back to world designer

12. Change world size shape to 2x2 (2048m2) (Do not get asked to keep a stamp, there isn't one, so that's logical.)

13. Adjust world shape settings

14. Adjust world detail settings

15. Generate world, no problems

16. Go back to world designer

17. Change world size shape to 4x4 (2048m2) (Do not get asked to keep a stamp, there isn't one, so that's logical.)

18. Adjust settings in World Shape

19. Adjust world detail settings

20. Generate world, no problems

21. Go back to world designer

22. Change world size shape to 10x10 (2048m2) (Do not get asked to keep a stamp, there isn't one, so that's logical.)

23. Adjust settings in World Shape

24. Adjust world detail settings

25. Generate world, Again, the now familiar yellow and red warnings. I've kept an eye on the CPU and GPU in the task manager, but they never spiked in a way that suggests the problem of the red warnings.

I originally thought the texture spawning problem was maybe caused by the automatic stamp creation from the 1x1 world, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Test 2, run t he above again, exactly the same.

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 1x1 (2048m2) with terrain scenes, etc all cheked, NO STAMP IS BEING CREATED upfront.

4. Adjust Base height settings in world shape. No question to keep stamp.

8. Adjust settings in World Shape

12. Change world size shape to 2x2 (2048m2) (Do not get asked to keep a stamp, there isn't one, so that's logical.)

13. Adjust world shape settings

14. Adjust world detail settings

15. Generate world: problems:

* Yellow warnings:

Meta Data file, Cross scene reference and UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager:SaveScene (UnityEngine.SceneManagement.Scene)

* Missing terrain data/texture

16. Go back to world designer

17. Change world size shape to 4x4 (2048m2) (Do not get asked to keep a stamp, there isn't one, so that's logical.)

18. Adjust settings in World Shape

19. Adjust world detail settings

20. Generate world, problems:
Same combination of red and yellow warnings as in previous tests and missing terrain data/texture (or maybe it is that isn't loaded? Cause there is actually a data file)

21. Go back to world designer

22. Change world size shape to 10x10 (2048m2) (Do not get asked to keep a stamp, there isn't one, so that's logical.)

23. Adjust settings in World Shape

24. Adjust world detail settings

25. Generate world, no warnings, no errors, no missing terrains.

Is it possible the red warning is somehow caused by some combination I make of base height settings, sea level settings, ??? steepness, ? Doesn't seem logical, but since the other settings

26. Just to test this I kept the world size from step 22 the same, and moved the base height up (it was at 79) to 100).

This gave me the familiar 1 meta-fle warning and 42 textures out of bound warnings. Part of the scenes only showed one layer of textures.

Next test: Raise the base height above 100 to see what that does.

27. I kept the world settings from step 26 and raised the base height to 125. And hello yellow and red warnings and missing terrain data/texture.
BTW, I noticed the empty terrain is most often the terrain with coordinates x0 y0 z0

28. Go back to world designer and change Base height back to 79

29. Generate world, no problems

30. Go back to world designer and change Base height back to 125

31. Generate world, get all the warnings and errors again.

I know I got this error with the 4x4 terrain as well, so... My next test is 4x4 with various base heights simply because this takes less time 😄

Test 3

2. Install Gaia Pro 2021

3. Create world designer 4x4 (2048m2) with terrain scenes, etc all checked, NO STAMP IS BEING CREATED upfront.

4. Adjust Base height settings to 79 in world shape. No question to keep stamp.

8. In World Shape set Base height to 99

12. In World Shape set Base height to 100

13. Adjust settings in world details.

14. Generate world, no problems

15. Go back to world designer

16. In World Shape set Base height to 125

17. Adjust settings in world details.

18. Generate world, no problems

19. Go back to world designer

20. Keep base height the same, make all other settings the same as in the above project:
- Sea level 312

- height scale: 13.8

- Strength: 0.279

- Steepness: 0.302

- Offset (all 0)

- Feature size: 5.55

- Granularity: 1.33

- Warp iterations: 1.57

- Warp strength: 1

- Warp off set: all 0

- Stamp density: 13

- Stamp jitter: 25

- Stamp width: 33

- Stamp Impact 100

21. Generate world, no problems.

Test 4

1. Create new scene in above project

2. Make the settings exactly the same as the settings from the 4x4 terrain that gave red errors on Wednesday.

I will report how that has gone after I'm back home.

Hi @KingfisherWyvernStudio

Is it possible this is caused by the Auto Graphics API settings for windows (in all tests set to the default direct3D11)

This is rather unlikely, Gaia does do a lot of work on the GPU, but if this was an issue with the Graphics API I would rather expect this to happen every time

Also, what I just thought of: could a problem with version control somehow be influencing this?

I can not 100% rule that out - what is happening when the error occurs is that Gaia is applying height and texture information on the terrain tile it just created. To do so, it needs to calculate the area that will be affected. Since it does one terrain after the other this is fairly straightforward and should always be an operation that affects that single new terrain only.
When that red error happens something throws off the calculation for the target area so that it becomes a negative size which then cannot be executed, this is why that terrain stays flat and has no textures on it. 
I could imagine *if* there is some sort of interference from the source control that it e.g. locks the terrain data file just in the moment Gaia / unity tries to read the info from it, that this *might* lead to this error, there is a lot of crystal ball reading in this theory though.

Is there a possibility this can be caused by the memory on my graphics card?

Highly unlikely.

On my way back home I wondered if I could also add terrains with this method. I will test it out with making small terrains and then add terrains to it. That might also be a work around. That way, I assume at least, I can keep the terrains in the terrain loaders, instead of having to go to a new scene.

That might be a good idea, because it would allow you to incrementally increase the world as you go and having the possibility to go back in source control if anything goes wrong.
Keep in mind thought that if you manage to generate a 10 by 10 area (or what your target size is) without running into issues, you might keep that world for development and you should be able to continue working on that without running into the  same error again.

Is it possible the red warning is somehow caused by some combination I make of base height settings, sea level settings, 

It might be, but I would find it weird that the same process goes through on X terrains before it hits that magic middle terrain where the error messages start.

I will report how that has gone after I'm back home.

Thaks again for all the testing, please let us know if you managed to find out more.