More Road Textures

Mattis89
Go to solution Solved by Mattis89,

@Mattis89 You can take any seamless road texture you like, ideally they come with a normal map and an unity mask map so that you can use all features of the road shader, e.g. from https://www.textures.com/https://www.poliigon.com/ or the unity asset store.
The HDRP decals make use of the HDRP decal projector which is a feature of the HDRP pipeline. To use those in built-in, you would need to use a decal system that works in built-in, then you should be able to use the decal textures in the pack with that. 

• Like 1

Allright, maybe from megascans also?

What actually does your road shader do? Does it work alongside with Gena somehow? 

Okay,  there's quite many decal systems...But can I then also use it with gena to randomize and procedurally put on road decals? 

I have a question about splitting roads... How do I split them roads since I don't use more than 1 terrain and I'm gonna split the terrain with Sectr...? @Peter

12 hours ago, Mattis89 said:

Allright, maybe from megascans also?

yes, you just need to supply the required textures for the material, it does not matter which store you source them from. The HDRP Mask map is usually not directly included but needs to be assembled from the other textures

What actually does your road shader do? Does it work alongside with Gena somehow? 

The road shader is used on the material on the created road, it is used for features like blending the road with the terrain or adding noise to it, the features found in the road profile essentially:
image.png

You could also put the unity standard shader on the road meshes, but then you would not have the above features for rendering the road.

Okay,  there's quite many decal systems...But can I then also use it with gena to randomize and procedurally put on road decals? 

Yes, as long as the decal system you use uses a game object to place the decal in the world, it should be possible because then you could set up a gena spawner that spawns a random decal, then spawn that along the road spline to get random decals.

5 hours ago, Mattis89 said:

I have a question about splitting roads... How do I split them roads since I don't use more than 1 terrain and I'm gonna split the terrain with Sectr...?

There is nothing built in directly for GeNa for that, you would either need to

* bake the road mesh, then find some tool that can split it up in the required grid
* build the road splines in such fashion that they end at the terrain border
* keep the road meshes as they are and do not stream them (the terrain etc. will be loaded in and out, but the road mesh just stays in the master scene). If you have multiple larger sections of road meshes, you could also consider putting those sections on a different layer and then stream that layer separately from the terrain with SECTR.

Peter, you mention HDRP and "built-in" with no mention of URP.   What is the status for roads in URP?

(We were leaning towards URP for our game, since we don't plan on having the level of artistry to justify the HDRP, and so were leaning towards URP, which is the supposed default/replacement for "built-in".)

4 hours ago, najak said:

Peter, you mention HDRP and "built-in" with no mention of URP.   What is the status for roads in URP?

Roads in URP work fine, you do not have as many options in the road shader than you would have in HDRP. In regards to adding different road textures the situation is the same as above, you would need to get the required texture maps for the road material, then you can use them in URP as well.

Thank you very much @Peterfor the informative answers , really helpful 😊 I'm actually considering to convert my project to HDRP , when I have already made the world etc.. I wonder if it's still possible to just install the HDRP support from Gaia folder ? I dont have so much really, only models.. 

Yep, I installed the HDRP package... Now I'm importing all the HDRP unity package stuff from all assets that contain that. And also from Gaia pro 2021 and Gena , and the switch in Gaia to HDRP. And then I push the button FIX ALL in HDRP wizard... I hope this works!!

• Solution

Yes everything looks good af in HDRP ☺️ It was so worth it . I did it mainly for the road blending with terrain stuff and decals ☺️

• Like 1