Jump to content

Gaia ML Capabilities


CC_Mike
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Recommended Posts

Greetings PW Folks!

I'm working on a Unity app that already uses Intel OpenVINO for running inferences, via an external plugin -- we're using it with a 'real' camera to sense the user. Our app is meant for venues and we're now working on a mini-game for a military museum that would ideally include a small terrain generated from a real world map. Inside the mini-game it would be great to be able to use ML to identify objects, but we'd need to figure out how to make that co-exist with the external plugin.

Anyway, I understand that one of the full Gaia versions would work for building a terrain based on a real world map, but is that functionality available in Gaia ML please? If so with what limitations?

TIA for your help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2022 at 9:41 PM, CC_Mike said:

Anyway, I understand that one of the full Gaia versions would work for building a terrain based on a real world map, but is that functionality available in Gaia ML please? If so with what limitations?

That functionality is available in Gaia ML in so far as that you need to bring in that real world terrain from an external source as a height map. That height map can then be used in the Gaia Stamper to create the terrain shape, and you can then continue to texture the terrain, spawn stuff on it, etc.
You can do this in Gaia ML as well, but ML does not come with many assets for trees, etc. so you would essentially need to supply your own assets and build Gaia spawners with them. (setting up which asset spawns where, etc.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Peter said:

That functionality is available in Gaia ML in so far as that you need to bring in that real world terrain from an external source as a height map. That height map can then be used in the Gaia Stamper to create the terrain shape, and you can then continue to texture the terrain, spawn stuff on it, etc.
You can do this in Gaia ML as well, but ML does not come with many assets for trees, etc. so you would essentially need to supply your own assets and build Gaia spawners with them. (setting up which asset spawns where, etc.)

So we could make an initial prototype in Gaia ML, including what I take it would be a somewhat sparse terrain based on a real world external map height source, but to properly finish it off we'd need Gaia Pro? The terrain I'm thinking of would also require placing several structures (buildings) and these would ideally be made to resemble their real world equivalents. Would that require GeNa too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution
28 minutes ago, CC_Mike said:

but to properly finish it off we'd need Gaia Pro?

Only if you wanted to use the assets & spawner settings found in Gaia Pro. It would also be possible to make / buy assets and configure Gaia to use those assets (setting up the spawners like "spawn the tree model A here and there with this and that size variation, and not on slopes etc.)
You can see the process of creating such a biome in this youtube tutorial series:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6YJ-pbdsY
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAiK8td0hQ
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpoLEXUFfBc
Part4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpWU-M-7qL8

34 minutes ago, CC_Mike said:

these would ideally be made to resemble their real world equivalents. Would that require GeNa too?

Only if you want to use GeNa to place those buildings (with extra bells and whistles to even the terrain below, texturing, removing trees, etc.) , or if you want to add procedural generation aspects such as randomizing decoration aspects, windows etc. on the building. 
If the building is however only a model that needs to be placed down, you could do that manually or set Gaia up to spawn it. (If you run the sample spawner of Gaia ML that one places buildings already)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great! As a guess, yes, we'd want at least to use Gaia Pro to generate some parts of the biome, especially some dirt and forest areas. Thus, it seemed appropriate to take advantage of the Unity Flash sale on the Gaia Pro bundle so that I can also experiment with GeNa. Thanks for your help!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Tell a friend

    Love Unity 3D World & Game Creation Tools - Canopy - Procedural Worlds? Tell a friend!
  • Interesting Articles

    1. 8

      Errors from Gaia 2021 after updating to Unity 2021.3.2 LTS

    2. 7

      Problems with latest Gaia Update

    3. 7

      Problems with latest Gaia Update

    4. 0

      Ambient sounds issues

    5. 7

      Scene Optimizer

×
×
  • Create New...