Planning to buy Professional License

najak

Tomorrow, am planning to take-the-leap and buy this subscription.

Before I do, just wanted to ask if the Shadow Flicker (also in Play Mode) still a thing?  (if so, are there versions of Unity I can choose that avoid this?)  If this flicker can't be avoided, it renders Gaia useless, until it's fixed.

==
Also - as we'll need to make LOD's (and you probably don't support this yet) -- will you share with me the basic data structure formats that I'm dealing with here, so that I can write my own tools to create these LOD's?   If we succeed at this, it should add considerable value to Gaia.

Thank you for making this great Gaia toolset.

Hi @najak

Regarding your questions:

10 hours ago, najak said:

Before I do, just wanted to ask if the Shadow Flicker (also in Play Mode) still a thing?  (if so, are there versions of Unity I can choose that avoid this?)  If this flicker can't be avoided, it renders Gaia useless, until it's fixed.

Gaia creates unity standard terrain, and it does not directly influence the rendering (only indirectly e.g. by setting up a light in the scene with a certain intensity, etc.)  Normally you should not get shadow flickering issues however there are certain constellations where that can happen, usually related to an unity bug in a certain version or unusual quality / render pipeline settings. But if that happens you should get this flickering with a terrain that you added to the scene manually as well.

10 hours ago, najak said:

Also - as we'll need to make LOD's (and you probably don't support this yet) -- will you share with me the basic data structure formats that I'm dealing with here, so that I can write my own tools to create these LOD's?   If we succeed at this, it should add considerable value to Gaia.

Do you mean LODs for the entire terrain? There is a terrain mesh exporter built in in Gaia that can be used to export the unity terrain into a textured mesh, even at multiple LOD levels. The data structures of the terrain etc. would be unity standard terrain, you could check in the unity manual / scripting API documentation for the available information there.

If you mean LODs for e.g. tree models, etc. that we do not have included yet in Gaia (the Gaia assets do come with LODs, but there is no LOD generator for those yet).

• 2 months later...

I remember that from a long time ago and I never quite figured out what caused it. But I don't notice the flicker anymore myself. In fact it's been years since I've noticed any flicker using Gaia and other assets together. I was using Horror FPS kit and Gaia. That's when I noticed it. Not sure what asset caused the flicker. But anyway. The Pro Subscription is VERY worth it. Especially if you don't have many of the Pro level assets already. I consider it worth it and I already have a lot of the assets on the asset store. Don't worry about the flickering. It's probably not Gaia doing that and it's most likely very much fixable if you can put any effort into fixing it at all.