Thoughts / ideas on developments

Guidos

Hi guys, I wanted to share some thoughts and ideas I have about this asset. 

I have found it simple to understand and use. There are a few bugs / issues that Ive shared with you here and you have responded to, but apart from that I think its a great asset. 

There is (you've guessed it) a couple of areas where I think Ambient Skies could progress that would make it stand out even more. It might sound a bit wild but bear with me.

The first is a simple feature request: enable the player to play music while not in play mode. To have to go into runtime to hear which tracks are which from the sequence's list is a bit backward for workflow. 

Secondly, and the more lateral thinking idea is for connecting streaming platforms (probably just for the global sequence only).

There are a number of assets in the asset store today that connect through to a few of the music streaming SDKs and APIs. In this way, the user is given the opportunity to use their own choice of music to play while playing the game / using the app. All the user needs to do is have a paid music subscription and then give the Unity app permission to connect through to their account. 

Clearly, music within an app needs to be licensed (that's actually part of my business so I know it quite well) however the streaming platforms like the idea of apps being developed to use their music as it pushes their services out further. 

Additionally, and importantly, the development could allow the developer to select specific playlists on the streaming platforms for the user to choose from, once the user has connected their music account and given the app permission. 

In this way, developers like myself can earn a new revenue stream separate from the freemium advert or upsell models. A developer who owned the music rights on the streaming platform would earn from each play each of his users consumed while playing / using the Unity app. 

There is at least one example of an app that offers up the user specific playlists in this way, so it certainly is something the music streaming platforms are keen on promoting and works very well depending on the specific Unity project. 

Please let me know what you think. 

On 4/8/2022 at 6:48 PM, Guidos said:

The first is a simple feature request: enable the player to play music while not in play mode. To have to go into runtime to hear which tracks are which from the sequence's list is a bit backward for workflow. 

that's exactly what i've asked today on discord.
I would like to give a try to ambient sounds, but only if the asset can be used without playmode for the same reason, workflow. (have to entering playmode each time you need test, take a while for loading, and this is too much impact on work/creativity when making some scripted animations)

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback. 

We will look into this we plan on doing some more with Ambient Sounds. 
I will send this to the development team! 

On 4/16/2022 at 1:42 AM, Bryan said:

Thank you for the feedback. 

We will look into this we plan on doing some more with Ambient Sounds. 
I will send this to the development team! 

Im happy to assist in terms of the music publishing side if you need additional thoughts. 

• Like 1