Substance Designer, Texturing.. (its industry standard today)

Recon

This is something I see alot of Unity users missing out.   

You can also export textures made in Painter, Designer as a static texture , you don't have to use as a substance with the plug in. This is NOT  a must.  Sure you will lose the procedural control in the engine, but the texture alone, is fantastic and using tools like Designer and painter to create are what most games use.

I been a professional artist using Designer , Painter for well over 7 years now. in Film and games,  and it plays an important role. when making any textures.

for example, I see alot of people applying materails which are expensive, by one by. rock, grass and so forth, they are made procedural, either by scratch , procedural or by scans. or a mix , your choice, you have total non destructive control .  In substance you can blend them, before hand, to have more one texture, well before you apply say in Gaia, Gena or any other texturing tool... so you already get a nice variants well before hand..

Its not as scary as it may look. I used to hate texturing before SUbstance, Designer..  and it has made me like it and actual do it for my job, before I retired, now I use it for all of my own textures and due to this I have a massive library, of textures, for any game they I don't have to recreate, any style, you want stylize ok done, you want painted, done, you want realism done.

HERE is a run down of what Uncharted done with it. 

• Like 1

Yeah I do this all the time, especially since the substance tools in unity suck, and they break microsplat a lot.

If you have thew abode versions of substance _sanpler_ is like a shitty version of quixel mixer and can do height blending and stuff on your substance library so it's a good way to throw out a few variants of different mixes.

Edited by BunnyViking

eh, use Designer, that is what part of it is for, you make a library there....  Sampler is just to toss up fast presets, not much more....   Designer us artist, for years, make them in Designer, so we can swap out graphs , and make custom nodes... Then export to sampler, for presets... and we can also send to Painter as Smart mat, for a library of our textures.. so, its actually way better than mixer. . .   I use Mixer as well for some scanned work, but I mainly use Designer, since I can use full procedural and sell my work, Mixer, you can't... you can only use in your game.

Stager, is to be able to make renders, like tool bag, I used Tool Bag as I work to see my Substances as I work.   Until as of late, since Adobe now sells Stager. 

Unity messed up Substance plug in...    every other engine it works great, Unity wanted to sell there tool.  (which is terrible)

Unity as of late claims they are finally giving Adobe more API access to fix there plug in.  

Edited by Recon

7 hours ago, Recon said:

Unity as of late claims they are finally giving Adobe more API access to fix there plug in.  

We can only hope 🙂 It would sure be nice to mix in water levels and... all sorts of things... at runtime.

On 12/23/2021 at 11:23 PM, BunnyViking said:

We can only hope 🙂 It would sure be nice to mix in water levels and... all sorts of things... at runtime.

hehe, you will see.( i'm a tester, so can't say due to NDA's but excited to see them working hard on this..  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/11/2022 at 8:10 AM, Keith.Brown said:

My guess is that they completed the testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N62jDffWQHE&t=818s

Yes people like myself and many others, been pushing Adobe, and Unity to have better support I been a tester for a long time... giving my advice along with others.... So its been way better... Since this is industry standard tools that is used....outside of Unity.... Unity used to have great support until they screwed it up.. So, Unity finally worked with Adobe, to make this happen..

We had to do alot of bitching at them, which shouldn't happen....  So, its been working well...  GPU support, better scripting support etc.... 

• Like 1

• Tell a friend

Love Canopy - Procedural Worlds? Tell a friend!
  • Need help?

We work with some of the biggest brands in global gaming, automotive, technology, and government to create environments, games, simulations, and product launches for desktop, mobile, and VR.

Our unique expertise and technology enable us to deliver solutions that look and run better at a fraction of the time and cost of a typical project.

Check out some of our non-NDA work in the Gallery, and then Contact Us to accelerate your next project!