Jump to content

I like the new extrusion tool.


Recon
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know its EA for sure I like what I see so far. 

 

i'm sure you will add more to it. 

 

but incase you don't, these are some thoughts since its like a mini modeler, I would like to see grid snap, vertex to vertex snapping this helps make cleaner, edges and straight lines, I also would like to be able to draw straight lines, with holding some form of input. This way you know its straight. 

 

welding vertex, or snapping atleast.   also when adding nodes, be able to click the grid and add nodes vs, hitting a button every time, would make it easier, faster. for mode changes, button is fine.  a move tool as well, for nodes, to be able to adjust up and down, I mean you can now, but I would like to be able to see the gizmo there, to adjust.  I do a ton of 3d work, and I know this isn't a full fledge modeling tool, but there are some basics, that would ramp this nice tool up, which would be really helpful for users. for sure. I like what I see so far. over all. its super useful .  

 

also add a new grid so you can start over, with a wiped clean grid.  at first I didn't think you could delete a node it until I click delete, so, still add a delete button, for those that may not know its there.   but snap to grid in the future is a must.  

 

I know this is EA, but I wanted to share feed back.. I was able to make the shapes I wanted, but at a slower pace, due to things I stated. the things I stated would make it more intuitive and way more useabily and more so for new users who never modeled before. 

 

I see mirror , but , I would clean that up a bit, so it mirrors from point to point, by selecting the points you want mirror, I had issues mirroring and lining things up, this is very common modeling work flow to mirror one side to the other to match .  You can do it, but it was a bit of struggle to match certain shapes, I would add a transform and rotation when  it mirrors to adjust to match points. 

 

PS, don't take this as negative, I think its awesome to see a tool like this.  and can't wait to see what it becomes once its done.

 

Maybe in the future, add a bevel tool. ( it basically adds, a node by angle, distance. this would be nice. one day for sure.

Edited by Recon
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah it is for sure a great feature that will change a lot of different work flows and make thing so much more smoother, this is really a great addon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Recon, snap to grid is on by default. Perhaps you mean something different? The default snap spacing is 0.020, so it is a smaller value than the drawn grid spacing, which is 0.1, but you can change that.
As far as mirroring goes, it is tricky, because of UV sets.  UV sets exist because a single vertex can be a "smooth" transition or a hard angle, depending on whether the UV or Normal should, or should not, change.  The exact same Vertice can't share the same position but have a different UV or Normal, so UV Sets were invented.
The "Sort UV Set" function works to sort the UV Sets such that their successive UV Sets share a vertex position at their ends based on the direction of the normals.  So, making sure that the normals are pointing in the correct direction is very important.

Here is an example of an inner shell and outer shell created by multiple UV Sets:

image.thumb.png.1723f488ba08653fae5e12df4a13f0cf.png

And this is the result in the scene (with EndCap turned on):
image.png.4dd46dbc94e210f8112baa430bf6ab6e.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I plan to implement snap to node (point), which is a good idea. I am just trying to decide how to determine the distance that will trigger the snap.  Perhaps 1/2 the distance of the snap spacing?
The Mirror function works by copying the points, per UV Set to a new collection of UV Sets in the mirrored direction.  Using the drag select (and locking any UV Sets not involved to make it easier) to select the points of the UV Sets that you want to mirror is what I envisioned a person to do to tell me what you want done.  So, let's say that there are 3 UV Sets that you want to mirror in the X direction, you can select those 3 UV Sets using drag rectangle select and then right click to "Copy to new UV Set X Mirrored" to create a new collection of UV Sets that mirror the points and normals with the UV's the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, the "help" text can be viewed by clicking the "?" in the upper right hand corner of the Cross Section Editor window (right side of the top tool bar).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No I mean snap to grid, I model for years in Modo, Maya, Max, Blender, I have snap on, and I see no snapping working at all...  when I noticed the snap enabled, I assume it was just broke.  Because I was unable to snap to grid lines  at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Clyde said:

@Recon, snap to grid is on by default. Perhaps you mean something different? The default snap spacing is 0.020, so it is a smaller value than the drawn grid spacing, which is 0.1, but you can change that.
As far as mirroring goes, it is tricky, because of UV sets.  UV sets exist because a single vertex can be a "smooth" transition or a hard angle, depending on whether the UV or Normal should, or should not, change.  The exact same Vertice can't share the same position but have a different UV or Normal, so UV Sets were invented.
The "Sort UV Set" function works to sort the UV Sets such that their successive UV Sets share a vertex position at their ends based on the direction of the normals.  So, making sure that the normals are pointing in the correct direction is very important.

Here is an example of an inner shell and outer shell created by multiple UV Sets:

image.thumb.png.1723f488ba08653fae5e12df4a13f0cf.png

And this is the result in the scene (with EndCap turned on):
image.png.4dd46dbc94e210f8112baa430bf6ab6e.png

The issue with this we have no control over the Z axis.  to do steps from back to front.   see the step walled.   and caps. for side objects

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Clyde said:

I plan to implement snap to node (point), which is a good idea. I am just trying to decide how to determine the distance that will trigger the snap.  Perhaps 1/2 the distance of the snap spacing?
The Mirror function works by copying the points, per UV Set to a new collection of UV Sets in the mirrored direction.  Using the drag select (and locking any UV Sets not involved to make it easier) to select the points of the UV Sets that you want to mirror is what I envisioned a person to do to tell me what you want done.  So, let's say that there are 3 UV Sets that you want to mirror in the X direction, you can select those 3 UV Sets using drag rectangle select and then right click to "Copy to new UV Set X Mirrored" to create a new collection of UV Sets that mirror the points and normals with the UV's the same.

as far as distance, set a value, but let us adjust it.. to our liking.  This can changes, based on what ever object we are making. 

 

I got mirror work, but to be clear, we had to make sure every time the points at at 0, 0, or you will need to move it , it won't line up. So I would have a transform, during mirror, with a movetool, so we can adjust and a slider, to move over alot easier is all, keep it simple.

 

for the points I would have some sort of align tool, so we can align points as well. I know its not a full fledge modeling tool but these are some basics, that would drive this tool, to be able to make some great things for sure. . for stuff like side objects, and being procedural.  

Edited by Recon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Clyde said:

@Recon, snap to grid is on by default. Perhaps you mean something different? The default snap spacing is 0.020, so it is a smaller value than the drawn grid spacing, which is 0.1, but you can change that.
As far as mirroring goes, it is tricky, because of UV sets.  UV sets exist because a single vertex can be a "smooth" transition or a hard angle, depending on whether the UV or Normal should, or should not, change.  The exact same Vertice can't share the same position but have a different UV or Normal, so UV Sets were invented.
The "Sort UV Set" function works to sort the UV Sets such that their successive UV Sets share a vertex position at their ends based on the direction of the normals.  So, making sure that the normals are pointing in the correct direction is very important.

Here is an example of an inner shell and outer shell created by multiple UV Sets:

image.thumb.png.1723f488ba08653fae5e12df4a13f0cf.png

And this is the result in the scene (with EndCap turned on):
image.png.4dd46dbc94e210f8112baa430bf6ab6e.png

oh shit I  missed end cap.  I will try that later, ya that I thought was missing. I missed that one. but we need to be able to control the second mesh, to axis, to make like  a step. which is used in that video for road side objects. 

 

where is the end cap enabled at?  

 

 

 

I forgot to add, when you add nodes, you have to click add node every time, I would leave that as a mode..but once you want that mode, not have to click the button every time you want to add a node, you should be able just be able to select the grid and add a node.  clicking a button for every time you need to add a node, is not very intuitive. but I know its EA. just giving feed back for that part.

 

 

Either way I love what your doing  for sure, keep this up.!

Edited by Recon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Recon said:

No I mean snap to grid, I model for years in Modo, Maya, Max, Blender, I have snap on, and I see no snapping working at all...  when I noticed the snap enabled, I assume it was just broke.  Because I was unable to snap to grid lines  at all. 

You can set the snap spacing to 0.1 if you want it to snap to the grid lines.  The default is set to 0.02, which is 1/5 of a grid line.  To see the difference, turn snap spacing off, then back on, while moving points, or zoom in and move points.
Perhaps I should draw grid lines based on the snap spacing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2021 at 4:50 AM, Clyde said:

You can set the snap spacing to 0.1 if you want it to snap to the grid lines.  The default is set to 0.02, which is 1/5 of a grid line.  To see the difference, turn snap spacing off, then back on, while moving points, or zoom in and move points.
Perhaps I should draw grid lines based on the snap spacing.

Yup, that worked well..   I would consider, for sake of clarity, to have it set to enable or not, and allow adjustment.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2021 at 5:03 AM, Clyde said:

The End Cap should be enabled by default, it is part of the properties of the Extrusion Pro Extension on the spline.

Ya, it wasn't for me..  but I would also have that enabled or not, there will be times, we don't want it.

I also think we need to be able to align points, is there something I missed?  if not, that is a biggy for sure to have to be able to align points, on different axis. 

Edited by Recon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...