Suggested solution to detecting player in a GeNa river?

mroshaw
Go to solution Solved by Manny,

Me again! Sorry!

Is there a feature of GeNa that I can use to give me some way of determining whether the player is standing / walking / running in a GeNa river? I'd like to trigger some splash sound and particle effects.

Thanks again!

• Solution
On 3/27/2022 at 9:53 AM, mroshaw said:

Me again! Sorry!

Is there a feature of GeNa that I can use to give me some way of determining whether the player is standing / walking / running in a GeNa river? I'd like to trigger some splash sound and particle effects.

Thanks again!

Hi there again @mroshaw 🙂,

This question is technically out of the scope of what GeNa is capable of doing and GeNa doesn't currently have any event system that triggers rivers. However, to give you some sort of direction, may I suggest that you look into doing the following:

1. Perform a bake of the GeNa River

This prevents it from being re-generated for the next step.

image.png

2. Attach a Mesh Collider to the River.

This will allow Unity to trigger events.

3. Attach a custom Unity Event script to the River.

Build some kind of custom Unity event system script that will allow you to perform events when an entity (such at the player) runs along the river. You can look at this tutorial for further details: https://medium.com/xrpractices/lets-build-a-custom-event-system-in-unity3d-d39f38b223d1

On 3/27/2022 at 4:54 PM, Manny said:

Hi there again @mroshaw 🙂,

This question is technically out of the scope of what GeNa is capable of doing and GeNa doesn't currently have any event system that triggers rivers. However, to give you some sort of direction, may I suggest that you look into doing the following:

1. Perform a bake of the GeNa River

This prevents it from being re-generated for the next step.

image.png

2. Attach a Mesh Collider to the River.

This will allow Unity to trigger events.

3. Attach a custom Unity Event script to the River.

Build some kind of custom Unity event system script that will allow you to perform events when an entity (such at the player) runs along the river. You can look at this tutorial for further details: https://medium.com/xrpractices/lets-build-a-custom-event-system-in-unity3d-d39f38b223d1

Thanks for posting this. I can easily attach an Ork machine component to it to make it happen!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 4:13 PM, mroshaw said:

Great, thanks Manny! 

Job for tomorrow to try this out. Thanks again! 

Not to step on Manny toes or anything, if this is a fairly large river, lake.. use a box collider/Triggers for stuff like this.  it will help with any performance ..  I rarely use Mesh colliders for anything..  🙂

3 hours ago, Recon said:

Not to step on Manny toes or anything, if this is a fairly large river, lake.. use a box collider/Triggers for stuff like this.  it will help with any performance ..  I rarely use Mesh colliders for anything..  🙂

Can you give some example numbers between them? I hear this often but haven't seen any data to show how much of a difference is it.

Curious how much of a drop we're talking about.