Blend road with terrain

Matmalm
Go to solution Solved by Isaac,

Is it possible to blend the road spline with the terrain?

In this image the cobblestones is a road while the grass is a texture of the terrain:

spacer.png

But it doesn't blend and looks weird. Couldn't find how to do it in case if it's possible to blend them.

• Like 1

I've been having the same issue. I thought I fixed it but I haven't. And it's not so much your road probably as it is the path texture.

There's a setting to lower the road height in the road decorartor and you can see if that gives you what you want.

• Solution

Is this project in the Built In renderer? If so, unfortunately we do not have support for it due to some transparency issues with the blending when adding shadows. The more advanced features like the road blending and procedural noise is only supported in URP and HDRP. 

10 hours ago, Isaac said:

Is this project in the Built In renderer? If so, unfortunately we do not have support for it due to some transparency issues with the blending when adding shadows. The more advanced features like the road blending and procedural noise is only supported in URP and HDRP. 

Alright, yes it's built-in.

use could use a terrain decorator on the road that would paint the cobblestone on the terrain. just paint it a little larger then the road.

what I personally do, I use substance designer and use mask blending, you should be able to add noise and masking between the two textures...

but, you have more control over a texture during creation, which is why I use substance designer. You can create the cobble stone, and then add the grass, to the sides, allowing a masking, or linear blend, where the two meet....   See how the path , you make it tiled, so I would have the cobble stone, on each side, add your grass , then add your grass textures, to match it.   This is a mud path, but same process applies.

You can use other programs outside of Substance, like PS, Gimp etc, you just have more control over texture creations... Substance DESIGNER. that is.  I make all my textures and paths this way.  muddy_road_pbr_seamless_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_lwo_3ds_3dm_stl_3740271_o.thumb.jpg.4d6f6115933e91efed42e41dee3a9b35.jpg

• Like 1

You can use this with any rendering it does NOT matter.

Generic blending, with two textures, you also can hide the seam using an edge for the path Add grass, to hide the seam but I would tile it properly as I said in the other post. This way there is no seam or hardly one, and makes it easier to hide, game development, this happens alot with seams, you need to hide with props, meshes and so forth. 

another option would be to carve down a bit, this will help it so the seam is not as obvious, if you see the path its lower, than the grass... its never going to be straight as seen in your screen shot, something to keep in mind, but be sure to tile the texture and blend them properly. 

The second image, I tossed together in a few seconds, if you see the grass is on the edge of the cobble stone, this will make it so when you attached grass to make it look better with out a seam, so some PS work, or Gimp, Substance which ever you use will need to be done. but it will look much better. when blending the two. 

Cobblestone path Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

grass.jpg

• Like 1