Tutorial on Making a Fully Procedural World Using C#

mkoala

Hello, I'm trying to make a survival game in where an entire world could be generated randomly through a seed. Think of Minecraft or Valheim where a user just enters a seed and a complete world is generated. I've been watching all tutorial videos from Gaia and Gena Pro and I think they do have the capabilities. It's just that there's no tutorial on how to achieve this purely on C#. All tutorials deal with making a world through the editor. It doesn't have to be a video, just a written article would be fine so that I know where to start, ideally for both Gaia and Gena. Basing on my limited research, Gaia's competitor, MapMagic 2, has these capabilities since it's purely node-based.

Essentially, I wanted to create a world during runtime after a build, so that users can generate their own world. Wondering if this is possible with Gaia/Gena? Or is this outside the scope of the tool?

Edited by mkoala
Added tag and more details

Gaia itself is an editor only tool and does not support runtime spawning if terrain etc. 

There are plans for Gena Pro to support it in a later version, but I don’t know the timeline. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MiTschMR said:

Gaia itself is an editor only tool and does not support runtime spawning if terrain etc. 

Oh wait really? Darn, I was under the impression that it was. Guess I'm going to have to try MapMagic 2.

There are plans for Gena Pro to support it in a later version, but I don’t know the timeline. 

I'll resubscribe when that time comes. I really like Gena Pro's Map Builder feature though so it would be hard to move to any other tool.

On 3/4/2022 at 11:08 AM, mkoala said:

I'll resubscribe when that time comes. I really like Gena Pro's Map Builder feature though so it would be hard to move to any other tool.

GeNa Pro 2022 will have the ability to do fully procedural runtime worlds!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Adam said:

YESSS!! I'm guessing it comes out around April? I can't wait!

• 8 months later...
On 3/8/2022 at 7:17 AM, Adam said:

Is there by any chance an update on this? The Gena pages don't list this as a feature anywhere.
I would love to be able to do this.

And if these worlds could become part of a persistent world somehow, it would even be absolutely perfect! But I have no idea if that is possible at all.

Thanks for the help.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I noticed this (The new Storm system, if I'm correct) on Discord and I thought it's very cool! Will it be possible to create seed based in real time to create games like Valheim (Early access, made with Unity), Under a Rock (in development, made with Unreal) and more games like that? Perhaps also on a larger scale for dedicated servers with hundreds of players, for example?

I am looking forward to seeing how it all works! And hopefully to make it work with Coherence as well! 😄

• Tell a friend

Love Canopy - Procedural Worlds? Tell a friend!
  • Need help?

We work with some of the biggest brands in global gaming, automotive, technology, and government to create environments, games, simulations, and product launches for desktop, mobile, and VR.

Our unique expertise and technology enable us to deliver solutions that look and run better at a fraction of the time and cost of a typical project.

Check out some of our non-NDA work in the Gallery, and then Contact Us to accelerate your next project!