Suggestions for Gena pro

Recon

A few suggestions for Gena pro. 

One type, for shapes, we have Square and Circle.  It would be great for more shapes to be added, possible, custom, but atleast more shapes. 

Another suggestion.   Right now we can  have meshes along a spline.  it would be nice to be able to snap them to edge, on a spline, to face, to normals etc. along a spline. 

• Like 3

what would be nice is to be able to procedurally or dyanically be able to drag out a wall, fence, with modular meshes, like seen in games like the Forest.    Now not a full on building system like EBS, but being able to do this. would be great.  But to be able to input our own meshes. 

On 12/22/2021 at 4:35 AM, Recon said:

Another suggestion.   Right now we can  have meshes along a spline.  it would be nice to be able to snap them to edge, on a spline, to face, to normals etc. along a spline. 

You can do a bunch of this already. The following operations are applied to what is spawned after it has been spawned. We have been discussing making this better in terms of UX.

image.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Recon said:

what would be nice is to be able to procedurally or dyanically be able to drag out a wall, fence, with modular meshes, like seen in games like the Forest.    Now not a full on building system like EBS, but being able to do this. would be great.  But to be able to input our own meshes. 

The spline capability does this to an extent... but you do need to get the flow rate just right.

Also, take a look at the new extrusion pro thing that we just added into early access. Two different approaches to the same general concept.

We have a bunch of other ideas as well.. which we will bring to life over time.

ya that is more what is called free placement, which is different. then what i'm asking for. 

commonly, we bring in a modular say wall, and your able to extent this procedurally which is what this is, dyamamic would be with a modular model.

Free placement is what Gena, can do now, and what your showing there.   also its in the new versions?.   

Ya looking at the extrusion tool now, that is different than what i'm asking about.    extrusion tool for sure its great though.   it can be used widely for many great things for sure.

That is going to be great for various things, for Tunnels, extending guard rails, and much more.   I used something a little like this in ER. it was super useful. 

The forest has free placement, for most of there building and so forth but for the actual walls, its dynamic. They use modular assets, which can be extended out.  it basically just dupliates off a pivot or socket, to make more than one GO.   I made this in Unreal, but I can see alot of users, benefiting from it, from level design, runtime and more. 

Just go to the end of the video, so you dont need to waste time. to see what I mean.  but the second video is better.

Edited by Recon

This is prolly a better example . 

but the difference is, you can use your own modular assets to create housing or for level design.  in runtime or in Editor.  Gena right now we can add things along a spline, but I never been able to line up, to a normal, or edge, yet. That is basically what is missing. to finish this. part. its sorta there. just not fully, just yet. as far as that goes.  

alot of users, also can use it to place guard rail that yes perfectly line up, by normals, edge, vertex, etc.  but important than you can use your own meshes as well. but leverage Gena, own spawners, to do it. 

I could also see people being able to make extension then, to build entire cities with having the ability to snap to edge, normals, vertex. ( using sockets.). 

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to add to this.  Right now, we are able to make rivers, roads.  etc.

You guys already have everything for splines related here, pretty much.  

what would be nice, would to be able to make cells, with splines for planes.  or any object, so for example, if we created a 2d shape, any shape, (strictly planes) . and it fills in the  geo, like it does for the roads, rivers.   This could be used for various of other types of procedural type of development for others to leverage Gena pro. 

Right now I been making my own city generator, and I have parts of it working off Gena pro roads. but I need to make my own 2d shape editor.   if Gena was able to , I could leverage it for this as well for my city gen. 

So, like I said you guys already have it there, pretty much, but, I would expand it, so we can make any type of shape with splines, and it fills the triangles in like road, river planes.  

This way we can leverage it for more things.  This is on my high list, that I hope to see from Gena pro. I plan to see if I can leverage it off the API and expand myself, later this week.  Maybe I can do with out you guys adding, not sure just yet, I need to take another look at the API. to see if we can, be able to draw other types of shapes. 

Can anyone confirm if this is possible now??   So, to reiterate to be able create other shapes with the splines.  ( I have not tried yet) but going soon.  if not is it possible to extend with the API access we have now? 

Edited by Recon