If you accidentally assign a non-Normal Map texture to normal map for a layer, it's quite tricky/confusing to fix

neurodr0me
Go to solution Solved by Isaac,

Was having some shading issues with a new texture I had just added from SubPaint.

Realized I had forgotten to set the texture type to Normal. Corrected this and the issues persisted. Even if I cleared layers, refreshed layers, the GTS didn't seem to pick up the change. I had to change the layer to another set of textures, clear layers, refresh layers, switch back to the (now corrected) texture set, then clear/refresh again and that seemed to fix it.

Now that I know how to fix the issue, this post isn't quite for me, but for future users. Oftentimes in Unity when you assign a non-normal texture to a normal slot, you get a warning with a "Yes" button you can click to have unity switch the texture to Normal Map for you. This would be very helpful for users. If that popup can't be done, surely some kind of console warning or something somewhere might be possible 🤔

• Solution

Hi @neurodr0me,

Thanks for suggestion for a better user experience, we will try and see what can be done about mitigating this potential problem. GTS has a 'Create Texture Arrays' button that should reflect changes to textures if they have been edited since the first creation of the texture array. 

Here is an example using a normal map texture that wasn't set as 'Normal Map' (the lighting is off due to this setting):

image.thumb.png.89ee91a84c23472219dd13b6dc107bab.png

And you can see that the red channel of the texture array hasn't been populated with any data due to this setting: image.thumb.png.4054727ae3ae5c2ea7f43c800d1ab6db.png

Now if we set the normal map to 'Normal map':

image.png.4f1589e1e5d1b542865b985c68ae38ca.png

And go to the GTS Profile, and at the bottom of the list find the Texture Array Settings and hit 'Create Texture Arrays':

image.png.78b6fe969123071916f2974a81cf76aa.png

The normal map has been updated in the texture array and now shades correctly (and the red channel is populated correctly):

image.thumb.png.e2b2f25d6b1033921a9cecb53eb54d98.png