Errors when spawning biome textures

Tsahyla-Triston Lightyear

Unity 2021.2.11f1 , Standard Render Pipeline, latest Gaia Pro 2021 from Asset Store, latest GeNa Pro (3.3.16) from Asset Store, new scene generated with Gaia Pro 2021 prior to upgrading to the latest Gaia and GeNa.  I don't really have anything else in the scene yet except the Gaia Pro 2021 runtime stuffs.: 

When I updated the project I deleted the entire procedural world folder and imported Gaia Pro 2021 and Gena Pro from the package manager.  (The project also uses Ambient Sounds; that was imported later).  I am using the Coniferous Forest Biome Textures (and all the rest of the Coniferous Forest spawners actually) from the default Coniferous Forest Biome.  When I try to spawn just the texture I get:

NoiseLib::GatherNoiseTypes: Failed to get types from assembly: GeNa.Scripts.Core, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
UnityEngine.Debug:Log (object)
Gaia.NoiseLib:GatherNoiseTypes () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Unity/Terrain Tools/Noise/API/NoiseLib.cs:349)
Gaia.NoiseLib:.cctor () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Unity/Terrain Tools/Noise/API/NoiseLib.cs:40)
Gaia.NoiseUtils:GetDefaultBlitMaterial (Gaia.NoiseSettings) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Unity/Terrain Tools/Noise/API/NoiseUtils.cs:77)
Gaia.ImageMask:Apply (UnityEngine.RenderTexture,UnityEngine.RenderTexture) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/MaskSystem/ImageMask.cs:571)
Gaia.ImageProcessing:ApplyMaskStack (UnityEngine.RenderTexture,UnityEngine.RenderTexture,Gaia.ImageMask[],Gaia.ImageMaskInfluence) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/MaskSystem/ImageProcessing.cs:42)
Gaia.Spawner:ApplyBrush (Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation,Gaia.MultiTerrainOperationType,int) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:1755)
Gaia.Spawner:SimulateRule (Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation,int) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:3149)
Gaia.Spawner:ExecuteSpawn (Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation,Gaia.BakedMaskCache,int,int&,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:2711)
Gaia.Spawner/<AreaSpawn>d__217:MoveNext () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:2344)
Gaia.Spawner:EditorUpdate () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:1009)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

which appears to be from GeNa though I am using Gaia Pro 2021 only in the scene so far, and then 

Exception while spawning: The type initializer for 'Gaia.NoiseLib' threw an exception. Stack Trace:   at Gaia.NoiseUtils.GetDefaultBlitMaterial (Gaia.NoiseSettings noise) [0x00000] in D:\Unity3D Projects\U2021\Erelos\Erelos_1.8\Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Unity\Terrain Tools\Noise\API\NoiseUtils.cs:77 
  at Gaia.ImageMask.Apply (UnityEngine.RenderTexture inputTexture, UnityEngine.RenderTexture outputTexture) [0x00794] in D:\Unity3D Projects\U2021\Erelos\Erelos_1.8\Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\MaskSystem\ImageMask.cs:571 
  at Gaia.ImageProcessing.ApplyMaskStack (UnityEngine.RenderTexture inputTexture, UnityEngine.RenderTexture outputTexture, Gaia.ImageMask[] maskStack, Gaia.ImageMaskInfluence influence) [0x0004a] in D:\Unity3D Projects\U2021\Erelos\Erelos_1.8\Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\MaskSystem\ImageProcessing.cs:42 
  at Gaia.Spawner.ApplyBrush (Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation operation, Gaia.MultiTerrainOperationType opType, System.Int32 spawnRuleID) [0x00337] in D:\Unity3D Projects\U2021\Erelos\Erelos_1.8\Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\SpawningSystem\Spawner.cs:1755 
  at Gaia.Spawner.SimulateRule (Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation operation, System.Int32 spawnRuleID) [0x000ad] in D:\Unity3D Projects\U2021\Erelos\Erelos_1.8\Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\SpawningSystem\Spawner.cs:3149 
  at Gaia.Spawner.ExecuteSpawn (Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation operation, Gaia.BakedMaskCache collisionMaskCache, System.Int32 totalSpawns, System.Int32& totalSpawsCompleted, System.Boolean allowStatic) [0x00184] in D:\Unity3D Projects\U2021\Erelos\Erelos_1.8\Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\SpawningSystem\Spawner.cs:2711 
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
Gaia.Spawner:ExecuteSpawn (Gaia.GaiaMultiTerrainOperation,Gaia.BakedMaskCache,int,int&,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:2909)
Gaia.Spawner/<AreaSpawn>d__217:MoveNext () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:2344)
Gaia.Spawner:EditorUpdate () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SpawningSystem/Spawner.cs:1009)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

which appears to be from Gaia Pro 2021.  If I delete GeNa Pro from the project, the error disappears.  Apparently GeNa Pro does not play well with others, including its own brothers and sisters ?

Any ideas on how to fix ? I really will need GeNa when I start scaping the scene.

Hey @Tsahyla-Triston Lightyear,

As a general rule, we can't guarantee that our tools won't break on newer and unstable versions of Unity. On top of this, Unity's latest version (2021.2.11) has unanimously broken a lot of things with other assets as well. Just like Unity does, we highly recommend users build their projects in Unity LTS versions to avoid issues like this. To read more about this, check out this article here: 

With all of this in mind, I investigated the issue you're experiencing with GeNa + Gaia in the new version of Unity and had no issues getting it to work in these versions.

I did the following:
1. Import the latest version of Gaia Pro 2021 into Unity.
2. Import the latest version of GeNa Pro into Unity. 
2.1. When importing the latest version of GeNa, you will get a popup message in this version of Unity asking to update precompiled assemblies, please select YES
image.png

This will basically ensure that all type name errors are resolved. 

3. Open the Gaia manager as normal.

Let me know if this works for you! 🙂 Happy deving!