Use custom terrain

Ruchir Raj
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

How can we import our existing terrains to use GAIA systems?

Like I already have some multi-terrain set-up but would like to use a lot the features gaia provides. Also, is there any other way then manually exporting heightmap for each terrain and then stamping it one by one?

I would also like to enable multi-scene workflow on some of these setups, any help is appreciated 😄

• Solution
21 hours ago, Ruchir Raj said:

How can we import our existing terrains to use GAIA systems?

It depends a bit what you want to do, if you have an already existing terrain, you could just open the Gaia Manager and bring in the stamper / spawners you want from the advanced tab. The Gaia tools should work on any unity terrain, and "should not care" how the terrain was created originally.

21 hours ago, Ruchir Raj said:

I would also like to enable multi-scene workflow on some of these setups, any help is appreciated 😄

This is a bit more complex. If you just want to add a single terrain to the loading, there is a way to add single terrains to the terrain loading logic in the terrain loader manager. If you want to add terrain loading to an already existing world WITHOUT terrain loading, this can be done as well by opening the Gaia Manager and pretending you would set up a terrain loading setup with the exact same dimensions as your existing world. Gaia will grab your existing terrains and convert them into a terrain loading setup. I noticed we did not have this documented in the Terrain Loading article in the Library, so I added a section there called
"Adding and removing terrains from Terrain Loading
Converting Existing Worlds from / to Terrain Loading"
You can find more information about the process there. Please make a backup before attempting to convert your world, as this might severely impact your existing scene. Also please note that the terrains need to be set up in a grid-like fashion for this to work properly, if you e.g have multiple terrains stacked on top of each other, this might create issues.

• Like 1