Cant file support ticket, says I fail the captcha every time, so here's my issue

tbunreal

Hi, guess I'll post my issue here. It's a known issue with gaia hanging on spawning. I see there's not really much I can do now except provide info, so here it is. 

I am unable to spawn any forest biomes. It hangs every time at spawning forest textures part 2. When I tried on linux, it happened also, although I don't have system info for that.

When unity crashes I am unable to restart my nvidia drivers with crtl shift windows b, the screen goes black and I have to hard boot. I also did the tdr "fix" but instead of an error, it just crashes now.

Unity 21.2.10f1 with hdrp spawning an 8x8 small world. I'd try different sizes but it's a hassle having my system crash every time lol

I've provided the editor log on my gfx card info

windows 10 16 gig of ram i7-9750h gtx 1650 4g

Editor.log NVIDIA System Information 02-10-2022 16-51-37.txt

29 minutes ago, tbunreal said:

Unity 21.2.10f1 with hdrp spawning an 8x8 small world. I'd try different sizes but it's a hassle having my system crash every time lol

Based on the log you ran out of memory when processing the terrains could you try 4x4 1024 (Medium) or 2x2 2048 (Large). Problem with lots of terrains on a 16gb memory is that unity holds onto a lot of cached data during the asset database process. So until the terrain crating and import processing is done and things are unloaded it will crash if you don't have enough memory. Be sure to create a new scene and create the terrains and don't add runtime stuff until you've created all the terrains and saved the scene.

So ya that worked, thank you. Guess it was just a little too big,  but I was watching my memory in the task manager when it was crashing, and it never did show me fully hitting the limit, close though. 

So I guess I'm limited to a smaller world?

1 minute ago, tbunreal said:

So ya that worked, thank you. Guess it was just a little too big,  but I was watching my memory in the task manager when it was crashing, and it never did show me fully hitting the limit, close though. 

So I guess I'm limited to a smaller world?

Not limited per se rather just have to limit the amount of terrains you are creating to fit the same world space. The 8x8 512 would give you 4096 but that is 64 terrains and HDRP does not handle so many small terrains to well. Rather instead you could have 16 1k terrains or 4 2k terrains you'll still get the same size but it will not require as much memory to load this data in and out of the scene.

We hope in the future unity improve memory managment making it easier for users to create larger worlds on a smaller memory budget.

Glad this worked for you.