Classes & Education - Connect with the team and learn

Adam

Hey everyone,

We have been toying with the idea of doing an education system as part of the pro subscription.

Something like scheduled times where you can book to attend a class (with other people up to some sort of class limit as well), were we demo and then coach people on how to do different and cool things with our products.

What do people think of this as an idea?

Are there other ways we could do this better?

What do people think?

• Adam changed the title to Classes & Education - Connect with the team and learn

I think this could be a cool idea. The biggest problem i forsee is timezones.

One way around this might be to have a tutorial project or something and a contact person who will answer questions on a canopy thread or discord channel for a week or something.

I do like the idea, and will offer a compliment/alternative idea too (it might help with the timezone problem too given the geographic diversity of the PW team)...

I'm using your game ready level in a GameJam and it is super convenient. It game me an idea for your Canopy subscribers.

You could host co-development sessions where you teach people to use the tools. You have them on a stream and set an objective to create a game ready level for [insert theme].

Ahead of the session you collect a bunch of reference images and invite 3-5 people into Scene Fusion to build the scene. PW team members are there to answer "how do I" questions, but don't do any of the actual building. They would also help coordinate the team so everyone is working on something and there is a cohesive output coming. At the end of the session the level is packaged up. Credits for the contributors are inserted and you make it available to Canopy subscribers as a Game Ready Level.

Note the Scene Fusion free license only supports 2 people, so you might need to limit to 2 people. Also I have not tried using your tools over Scene Fusion. I see no reason why it wouldn't work, but it needs testing.

• Like 2

im gonna pull a quote from Mr.Orc in another thread

"I have to say your Speed Build video with the Dam pack is fantastic. Please do more of these. I like the tutorial videos you do, but I feel I learned more from the speed build than I would a tutorial on the tooling itself (which I'm happy to play with).

I realize other people need more of a tutorial approach, and I would appreciate them too, but speed build is good too."

I like a good tutorial but one of the things i've always felt with the PW stuff is that too much gets covered too quickly. There are a lot of features and pitfalls in many of the PW tools individually that could be covered in greater depth.

For example .... river splines are really finnicky to place exactly where you want, at the width you want, without some part being too high or low or just wierdly popping in or out of existence ... you could do a tutorial JUST on setting up a river that covers more than 'click click river' and talks about some of the issues that come up and how to solve them.

The gaia stamper is another great example that could probably have a _series_ of small videos on various features and masks, how to choose which function to use, how masks work, choosing local or global, etc.

• Like 1

Agreed. The idea of doing a level design with PW guidance comes from that thinking. Edit the video down to a speed build and slow down at those sticky points where PW are guiding people and you have a really valuable video (though editing videos is hard work... that I know too well).

You are really pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved..  For me, I have been playing in Unity for a while, but would love to start thinking about HDRP.  I know that you are moving this way, especially with the new weather effects etc and I would certainly appreciate a solid tutorial on building a realistic HDRP level with Gaia Pro, Gena Pro, the new weather tool, and your assets  all in HDRP from start to finish to really make it clear that all we need is Procedural worlds for us for the future.   What would be awesome is a video at normal speed all the way through from start to end, and possibly a stamp of the terrain (maybe an Island) that came with the series so you could try to aim for similar results as the video.

I think classes are going to be really hard to accomplish at this stage, because of timezones and peoples availability, but if there were classes, such as on zoom or similar, it could be an experiment worth trying 🙂

• Like 2

Maybe one thing you guys can do to deal with the time zones is in addition to doing a livestream type thing for those who can attend, record it so you can make the recording as well as the class materials available for other time zones who couldn't make the live session or those interested in learning the content at a later date.  This would be similar to how Unity was doing their courses last year (haven't looked at them lately to see if they still are or not).  Courses would have livestream, a section in pro area for the recorded course, download area for course materials, and probably should have a dedicated discussion area where instructor would follow to deal with student questions.

I think courses is a great idea.  I, for one, would definitely be interested in having this as an option to learn new products or even to have around if I need to relearn something I haven't touched in awhile.

• Like 1