Remove objects?

Sorra the Orc

Go to solution Solved by Manny,

There's a remove trees and and remove details Spline extension but I can't seem to find a remove objects one. This means that, for example, rocks are left on the road. Am I missing it or is there some other recommended workflow for removing game objects?

Itd also be useful to have a 'keep grass/tree/object away' decorator so that your spline could keep details away during edit time without you having to recommit a spline (which might dig an extra river or whatever)

Hey @Sorra the Orc,

Unfortunately, this is something we have been wrangling with for some time because we're trying to find an elegant solution to detecting GameObjects along the spline. Detecting trees and details along the spline is easy because we are just using a texture as a sample on the terrain. Therefore, if it is not a Terrain Tree or Terrain Detail, you'll find it difficult to remove them. 

While we are still looking for a solution to this, we do have a recommended workflow in the meantime. You could create your roads and rivers along an empty Terrain and then spawn everything in afterward because some of the spawn methods we use avoid both roads and rivers. Please note that because some of the spawn methods we use don't use raycasts, they may not detect the road so you may still need to clean up some straggler GameObjects. 

I'll definitely keep you all posted when we have a decent solution for this. But if you're still having trouble with the workflow or things aren't looking correct, just let me know.

10 hours ago, BunnyViking said:

Itd also be useful to have a 'keep grass/tree/object away' decorator so that your spline could keep details away during edit time without you having to recommit a spline (which might dig an extra river or whatever)

This is an interesting suggestion @BunnyViking 🤔

Yeah, I thought of doing that, but it didn't work. Fresh trees and objects were spawned in on my road. This was using your own Fantasy Spawner pack (which since I mention it needs a lot of work on colliders, it spawns trees inside buildings all the time, for example). 

Wouldn't detecting objects be as simple as a series of sphere (or maybe box) casts along the length of the spline?

20 minutes ago, Sorra the Orc said:

Yeah, I thought of doing that, but it didn't work. Fresh trees and objects were spawned in on my road. This was using your own Fantasy Spawner pack (which since I mention it needs a lot of work on colliders, it spawns trees inside buildings all the time, for example). 

Wouldn't detecting objects be as simple as a series of sphere (or maybe box) casts along the length of the spline?

Yeah, this is something we were looking to do a long while ago but I was more worried about performance and the fact that it may halt your editor when you have a long spline network. Come to think of it though, it makes sense to have a solution in there like this then not at all.

I could try making another extension for this called 'Clear Colliders' and give you control over what objects you wish to remove along the spline (using Layers). And I'll try and see if I can include it in the next patch. Keep following this article and I'll update you shortly. 😁

On 2/4/2022 at 6:46 AM, Sorra the Orc said:

Assuming that your layers conform to our standard layer setup then this should not be happening. I wonder if we considered this in our biome configuration. I know we did with the usual Gaia Biomes. Will ask the guys.

21 hours ago, Adam said:

Assuming that your layers conform to our standard layer setup then this should not be happening. I wonder if we considered this in our biome configuration. I know we did with the usual Gaia Biomes. Will ask the guys.

I don't think I've done anything with layers yet. This is a Game Jam project though so I'm not thinking carefully every step of the way. The layer setup is as follows, which looks like standard Gaia config:

image.png.43fedd4ae60a16b73f670178eb37d6dd.png

It's not just trees in roads either. Here's an example of an undesirable behavior (this originally had a camp on top)

image.thumb.png.5f5f837c84d298bb6090a32db2831fc7.png

To get this I:

1. Created a world using Gaia

2. Created the standard Kingdom using the PWS spawner

3. Spawned biomes in Gaia

And here is an example of trees where they shouldn't be (this is inside the castle walls)

image.thumb.png.0618c1d4bb43b80352c8b5672a2ad7ea.png

One more:
image.thumb.png.b5f4e2df5f26f796adf108395c138b03.png

Edited by Sorra the Orc

• Solution

Happy to report, the new version of GeNa Pro (3.3.16) addresses this issue!

Check out the latest here: