Question about stamper and biomes

Marcin Debicki
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

Hello, guys. I ran into a situation with my recent game world. Size of it is 10km x 10km (40 x 40 tiles) but this probably does not matter. Here is what happened:

1. Created game world and also added all gaia components such as water, lightning and so on. Also added character controller and some buildings. Used stamper only once. Same goes for biome (For textures from Alpine). Small island 512x512 meters.
  2. I created fresh build and started it. Tried to enter the game world and everything worked as intended.
  3. In editor moved and resized stamper to add next part to add actual mainland. Used it like 4 - 5 times to model what I wanted then updated textures (used default settings for biome).
  4. Created new build and again started it. Tried to enter the game world at the same location as before however this time game got completely frozen for a few minutes (after which I just killed the process). Problem is that logs remained empty. Tried a couple of times however each time result was the same.
  5. In editor I disabled biome and stamper objects and created another build.
  6. When I started last build it appeared that I am one more time able to get into the game. No freezing, crashing or anything bad happening.

From what it looks either biome or stamper messed up here. Question is is there any recommendation on what to do with stamper (or perhaps whole Gaia Tools object itself) before product build? Should it be disabled/removed?

• Solution
50 minutes ago, Marcin Debicki said:

Hello, guys. I ran into a situation with my recent game world. Size of it is 10km x 10km (40 x 40 tiles) but this probably does not matter. Here is what happened:

1. Created game world and also added all gaia components such as water, lightning and so on. Also added character controller and some buildings. Used stamper only once. Same goes for biome (For textures from Alpine). Small island 512x512 meters.
  2. I created fresh build and started it. Tried to enter the game world and everything worked as intended.
  3. In editor moved and resized stamper to add next part to add actual mainland. Used it like 4 - 5 times to model what I wanted then updated textures (used default settings for biome).
  4. Created new build and again started it. Tried to enter the game world at the same location as before however this time game got completely frozen for a few minutes (after which I just killed the process). Problem is that logs remained empty. Tried a couple of times however each time result was the same.
  5. In editor I disabled biome and stamper objects and created another build.
  6. When I started last build it appeared that I am one more time able to get into the game. No freezing, crashing or anything bad happening.

From what it looks either biome or stamper messed up here. Question is is there any recommendation on what to do with stamper (or perhaps whole Gaia Tools object itself) before product build? Should it be disabled/removed?

When the game is finished you would want to remove the biome and stamper. 
Please note that you would want to save the biome (as a custom biome just in case you need it for future use)! 
You would want to go to the bottom of the biome - under advanced and save it. 

If you wanted to add the stamper in you would want to go to the Gaia Manager- Advanced- Gaia Terrains- Stamper. 

Now most of the time this shouldnt be happening but it depends on your computer specs why you might be experiancing (slight) freezing. 

More than likely you should be streaming that size of a world. Make sure that you unload your terrains before making the build as well. Also that you have added all the terrain scenes to your build settings as well. 

Next when running the application I would open your task manager and see what could be going on. 
Is your Memory (ram) to high ( which this size of your world could be the case). 

Hopefully this helps please let me know! 

Ok, some more details:

• Stamper in test ended up further from the player controller however terrain loader on controller had loading range set high enough to load same terrains as stamper anyway.
  • Once again: everything works just fine if I disable stamper before build.
  • I started with task manager the first time I noticed this problem. CPU completely idle (same as GPU), nothing being read nor written to disk by any process, memory usage by Unity Player only around 500 MB.
  • Computer spec is desktop class i7 8th gen, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB NVMe and Vega 64 so I suppose I should be just fine:-) And again this is not about slight freeze when scene loading is not finished yet. In this case scene loading just did not happen at all.

Obviously removing those objects manually each time I want to make a build would be painful (problem could be 100% times reproduced using both release as well ad development builds). For that reason I suppose I will put some script disabling those objects before product is built. But first tomorrow I will run one more build (completely fresh project checkout) to ensure that nothing else happens.

Thanks for answer!

No problem, whats interesting I ran tests myself and it seemed to be fine. 
So not quite sure what could be the issue on your end. 

The specs are close to my old pc and I did the same thing. 
So I would say your specs are not the issue. 

I ran today fresh build (no incremental, Library also recreated) and I can confirm that it was just about those 2 objects.

If I run tests in editor then this problem is unlikely to appear. In editor I have tested multiple times both scenarios:

• Run problematic scene straight away
  • Run main menu scene and follow same flow user player is expected to follow

In both cases Unity Player failed repeatadly while in editor it always worked as intended.

Edited by Marcin Debicki