Gaia upgrade options

neodome
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

So apparently I am on a old version of Gaia v. 2.2.5. I am looking at getting the Canopy Pro monthly as there are quite a few useful things I need in my game development from it.

My question is I already have a pretty big map and area built. If I say upgrade to Gaia Pro 2021 along with other assets how will that affect my current project. I am terrified of it causing a major change or being unable to get it compatable.

Thanks!

Nathan O.

1 hour ago, neodome said:

So apparently I am on a old version of Gaia v. 2.2.5. I am looking at getting the Canopy Pro monthly as there are quite a few useful things I need in my game development from it.

My question is I already have a pretty big map and area built. If I say upgrade to Gaia Pro 2021 along with other assets how will that affect my current project. I am terrified of it causing a major change or being unable to get it compatable.

Thanks!

Nathan O.

It should not affect your current project, unless you wanted to enable streaming etc. 
I can help you with the transition if need be. 

You would need to save any custom biomes or anything custom that you may have. 
Then you would need to delete Gaia from the project before importing the new Gaia version. 

Again if you need help with anything more than happy to help! 

Delete Gaia before importing again.  "Gasp" LOL! Let me get the monthly subscription going for Canopy then I may ask for help. After of course doing a full project backup 🙂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neodome said:

Delete Gaia before importing again.  "Gasp" LOL! Let me get the monthly subscription going for Canopy then I may ask for help. After of course doing a full project backup 🙂 

haha yeah let me know! 

Hey Bryan. To follow up on this thread hopefully I'm in the right forum area. Let me do a long winded current state vs need

Current State

• Upgraded to Professional Sub
  • Downloaded Gaia Pro 2021, GeNaPro, Pegasis, etc.
  • Did full backup of my Unity Project
  • 50% of my terrain is already built (sorta), but it lacks a lot I feel. I have a feeling I'm missing out on 80% of Gaia + extra options. When I first did my project I ran through the wizard, made a terrain, did a basic rock prefab runtime, and did the runtime options. Everything else has been very manual painting and making mountains/terrain with Unity default brushes.

Need

• Assistance getting project upgraded to Gaia Pro 2021 to ensure nothing breaks
  • Take a general look at current project settings and see if this can be made way more efficient. 
  • Right now I'm pretty sure I am using the Gaia demo skies etc. I would love to look into the "Regions" or weather etc. My engine is RPG Builder that also has regions to trigger game actions so I want to understand can this be used together or??

Thank you in advanced your guys products are beyond top notch!

• Solution
10 hours ago, neodome said:

Hey Bryan. To follow up on this thread hopefully I'm in the right forum area. Let me do a long winded current state vs need

Current State

• Upgraded to Professional Sub
  • Downloaded Gaia Pro 2021, GeNaPro, Pegasis, etc.
  • Did full backup of my Unity Project
  • 50% of my terrain is already built (sorta), but it lacks a lot I feel. I have a feeling I'm missing out on 80% of Gaia + extra options. When I first did my project I ran through the wizard, made a terrain, did a basic rock prefab runtime, and did the runtime options. Everything else has been very manual painting and making mountains/terrain with Unity default brushes.

Need

• Assistance getting project upgraded to Gaia Pro 2021 to ensure nothing breaks
  • Take a general look at current project settings and see if this can be made way more efficient. 
  • Right now I'm pretty sure I am using the Gaia demo skies etc. I would love to look into the "Regions" or weather etc. My engine is RPG Builder that also has regions to trigger game actions so I want to understand can this be used together or??

Thank you in advanced your guys products are beyond top notch!

Ok, so if you have anything custom in Gaia make sure to save any of that. 
Biomes that you have made, stamps, spawners, etc. 

Its critical to save a backup of your project just in case. 

If none of that applies than you should be able to remove the Gaia folder and then import Gaia Pro 2021. 
As far as integrations go this should not be a problem as I have seen customers use this asset in the past. 

If you already have an existing world there are a few things you could do. 
If you wanted to take advantage of the Gaia Pro 2021 world streaming that you would want to make stamps out of your existing world to be used later to create your new world (with streaming enabled). 

This article tell you how to scan your terrain and make stamps out of your terrain. 
From here you would want to create a new world and probably go the manual with stamper route. 

You could use the option to turn on world streaming if your world size should require it. 

You also unlock Flora as an option as well if you wanted to go this route. 

Procedural worlds sky would be the skies you would want to use if you wanted a TOD, and weather. 

Let me know if you need anything else! Cant wait to see what you can do!  

Well sadly this turned into a disaster LOL. YAY for backups. 

Steps -

• I followed the process and created a stamp of my terrain
  • Deleted the Gaia folder and Gaia items in my project.
  • Imported Gaia Pro 2021. Used Gaia Manager to create world. 
  • Chose to use the Stamper route with the my terrain stamp.

While it looks "similar" it seems like it completely flattened my terrain. See newterrain.png I chose Large Map 2048x2048 which is the same as my terrain before.  

Even when I created the stamp it looked right in the preview, but for some reason I must of made all my stuff off center?

Example-  stampexample.png

Lastly if you look at the newterrain vs old terrain you will notice the buildings and rock formation, but it does not line up at all let alone the height is destroyed.

newterrain.png

stampexample.jpg

oldterrain.jpg

Yay!!! I got it all restored! The multi terrain part still confuses me as I am guessing at some point I do want that, but for now I can get back to building.

The tools are downright amazing. 🤯

• Like 1