Can i load game objects separately for terrain

Gettinng IT up

I'm making a huge city in my map and would like to load the buildings on the edge of the city from farther away then the the terrain so i can see it's there but it's not destroying my performance. and then load the rest of my city with the terrain for the most part. (but i still would like to load some objects only when i'm pretty close to them.) is there any way to do that?

What you are talking about is Culling. 

You could potentially do this with streaming as well, depending on the Gaia version you are using. 
The streaming part would be to assign the game objects to the correct terrain / scene. 
Then as its unloaded the objects will unload as well. You would be able to adjust the loading to fit what you need as far as range. 

Though I think this would be a lot of work if your world isnt set-up this way already. 

There are some assets that help with culling or advanced lods as well. 
Sectr does have Sectr Vis which is advanced culling as well which I recommend checking out and is uncluded in the Pro Subscription if you are a subscriber. 

Ultimately this one is up to you. 

That wasn't what i meant. I misspelled the title. i meant to say How can i load game objects that are NOT parented to the terrain.

my main question was if gaia had this option(like adding a script to a game object) or if Gaia only does additive loading to terrains??

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

What you are talking about is Culling. 
[snip]

I think what he want's is to spawn the trees, etc. with Gaia/Gena then convert them out to game objects which is good if you want to have loggable forests etc. without having to somehow mask them out of whatever script would otherwise respawn them.

That also wasn't what i meant. I meant how can i LOAD (not spawn) game objects that are NOT parented to the terrain.

I want to load some game objects like how the terrain is loaded. but not be parented to the terrain or really have anything to do with the terrain! I want to load some buildings way out in the distance but i don't want to load the terrain that far out.

does that make sense?

17 hours ago, Gettinng IT up said:

does that make sense?

I understand you as such that you want to be able to load game objects independently at a different range as the terrains. 

With Gaia the loading is pretty much tied to the terrain tiles unfortunately, so the city would always be loaded together with the terrains. SECTR has the advantage that you can define "boxes" / Sectors that are not tied to anything that can be loaded on different layers, this allows you to load things independently then.
However what you could do is create impostor terrains, and then open up the impostor scene and place a version of the city on that impostor terrain. Ideally it is also a cheaper replacement for that city where you only have the most characteristic buildings at low detail in there. Then this "impostor city" should be loaded together with the impostor terrains at distance, when you comes closer the actual full terrain with the full city would be loaded.

• Like 1

That sounds like a good idea but can the mesh exporter covert building groups to low poly versions for the imposters that will be effective?(like if i put say 10 buildings under one object can it make a effective imposter/low poly mesh?) and if so what type of export do you recommend? Low poly? Imposter? etc..

On 1/27/2022 at 10:43 AM, Gettinng IT up said:

That sounds like a good idea but can the mesh exporter covert building groups to low poly versions for the imposters that will be effective?(like if i put say 10 buildings under one object can it make a effective imposter/low poly mesh?) and if so what type of export do you recommend? Low poly? Imposter? etc..

It will not convert the building or other game objects, this will only convert the terrain to low poly. 
However you can create a low poly terrain and create an imposter terrain of the low poly terrain. 

On 1/27/2022 at 10:43 AM, Gettinng IT up said:

what type of export do you recommend? Low poly? Imposter?

This depends entirely on you. What art style are you making? 
If its low poly sure you could go low poly terrain. 

Imposter terrains are great for large worlds so I would recommend this based off the size of your world.